SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

9 hours ago, MBS206 said:

See, Euro trash. Ha ha ha.

And I have to say, you nearly nailed the description of yourself.

But you can't be elitist if you can't look down on people. Or see what's on top of the Fridge. :P

I'm offended, I identify as 6'5" 🤪

What EV? I see model 3's under 40k now, tempting.

I dii about 350ks a week so Hybrid Camry fine, but more torque would be great. 

I mostly lean towards Hybrid Camry as a run about because I trust Toyota more than I trust Tesla. 

On 3/1/2024 at 8:32 PM, No Crust Racing said:

What EV? I see model 3's under 40k now, tempting.

I dii about 350ks a week so Hybrid Camry fine, but more torque would be great. 

I mostly lean towards Hybrid Camry as a run about because I trust Toyota more than I trust Tesla. 

If you like being able to get in a car, and it drive and operate like a car, DON'T get a Tesla.

I'm presently driving a Hyundai Kona EV.
We had a Tesla Model 3 with extended range previous to this, and a Hyundai Ioniq.

Literally, Tesla is like an iPad application was made, and then they added a steering wheel and tyres. They're so freaking shit.

11 hours ago, MBS206 said:

If you like being able to get in a car, and it drive and operate like a car, DON'T get a Tesla.

I'm presently driving a Hyundai Kona EV.
We had a Tesla Model 3 with extended range previous to this, and a Hyundai Ioniq.

Literally, Tesla is like an iPad application was made, and then they added a steering wheel and tyres. They're so freaking shit.

Yeah I like my cars to look like cars and the Kona looks wack, the newest version looks kinda cool, but not for 70k. The Leaf looks ok, I like the Nismo one, but I won't drive a hatchback where I live (country roads, lots of criters, bullbar territory).

Edited by No Crust Racing

Man this Nissan shit box drinks hard, it's averaging like 14L/100km around town where as the VW shit box would do high 11L/100km call it flat 12L/100km.

Wife is starting to prefer the X Trail more because it doesn't have that DSG derp, kicks and clunks at low speed.

oof, Wife just came back from trip up north, averaged 6.2L and she just sits on cruise (i.e. you can beat cruise economy if you want to try hard).

I'm currently averaging 11-12 in the 2t+ petrol Prado 

Just drive at 100km/h all the the time bro, don't stop/start, that's the key lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duncan said:

don't tease the prisoners who have to live in "cities"

Unfortunately noone outside of metro cities will employ me.

I do fake work, just smash buttons on a computer and get angry at people in meetings.

• Haha 4

Oh man, Prado is a terrible tow car economy wise. Try 18-20L for 2T. Old SZ Petrol Terri used to do like 14-15L and only needed 91. 

I love the petrol for quietness, power (overtaking especially), lower overall maintenance/repair cost, vs a diesel in all respects, but you pay for it with economy when towing. I run 98 (tuned) which also adds up, but the extra power is worth it. 

Raced a mates new 500Nm diesel prado up an on ramp and was slowly pulling away until 70 and then just gapped by bus lengths from 70 to 140.

Waiting to see if new prado gets the TT petrol option I am seeing for Lexus as I dont want anything bigger physical size wise or heavier (wood carting, getting through gaps/gates at my place, slopes, etc). 

3 hours ago, No Crust Racing said:

Yeah I like my cars to look like cars and the Kona looks wack, the newest version looks kinda cool, but not for 70k. The Leaf looks ok, I like the Nismo one, but I won't drive a hatchback where I live (country roads, lots of criters, bullbar territory).

Are you thinking of the ioniq that looks wack? (Because the new ioniq 5 really does).

I've got the 22 model EV, and it just looks like every other small/medium SUV.

3 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Are you thinking of the ioniq that looks wack? (Because the new ioniq 5 really does).

I've got the 22 model EV, and it just looks like every other small/medium SUV.

Looks are subjective, this is a hard pass for me.

image.thumb.png.99026ec46fa86b40e2bd5ab6b49981b6.png

4 minutes ago, No Crust Racing said:

Looks are subjective, this is a hard pass for me.

image.thumb.png.99026ec46fa86b40e2bd5ab6b49981b6.png

That's fair that it won't be everyone's taste.

I feel in person it looks different to the pics.

I will say, as long as a daily driver looks okay, I'm fine with it. Ha ha

I do have to question though, everyone saying diesel having all these higher maintenance costs. Even the Landcruiser guys claim the same stuff. But I've had my Landcruiser since start of 2015, and per km, it's costing the same to maintain as the petrol landcruiser.

When I ask the question of what everyone is thinking diesel costs more for, I never seem to get any answer.

I will say, around town she can be heavy on fuel at 14L/100km. And it's slow.

On the freeway I'll get a best of about 13L/100km.

Adding our old 3T plant trailer on the back of it, never really changed fuel economy at all. And well, I was already going slow anyway. Ha ha ha

That being said, get it in the right gear, and she'll pull hills (slower than a comparative petrol), but definitely pulls better than it would if the motor didn't have the after market factory turbo on it. :P mine is also tuned conservatively too!

16 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

That's fair that it won't be everyone's taste.

I feel in person it looks different to the pics.

I will say, as long as a daily driver looks okay, I'm fine with it. Ha ha

I do have to question though, everyone saying diesel having all these higher maintenance costs. Even the Landcruiser guys claim the same stuff. But I've had my Landcruiser since start of 2015, and per km, it's costing the same to maintain as the petrol landcruiser.

When I ask the question of what everyone is thinking diesel costs more for, I never seem to get any answer.

I will say, around town she can be heavy on fuel at 14L/100km. And it's slow.

On the freeway I'll get a best of about 13L/100km.

Adding our old 3T plant trailer on the back of it, never really changed fuel economy at all. And well, I was already going slow anyway. Ha ha ha

That being said, get it in the right gear, and she'll pull hills (slower than a comparative petrol), but definitely pulls better than it would if the motor didn't have the after market factory turbo on it. :P mine is also tuned conservatively too!

That all depends the diesel in question, I should preface by saying "modern" turbo diesels. 

Diesel costs more per litre than almost all fuels barring E85, at Apco where I get my 98 it's the most expensive fuel (no e85 on offer). 

Quality aftermarket diesel oils on average are more expensive (for good low ash content stuff) but in my case it's a wash as Petrol and Diesel use the same oil from Toyota (which means petrol stays super cldean from all the detegrents). 

For a tow vehicle you may also want;
Additional water trap/filters and associated alarms/gauges and pray you don't get a bad batch of fuel. 

Additional EGT sensor/gauges. 

At some point the turbo will fail $$$ to repair that I don't have to worry. 

I will never have to think about EGR or DPF issues. My injectors cost a couple bucks and can be slapped in vs Direct Injectors that cost $$$ and need coding. My fuel pump costs a couple backs vs $$$$ and install costs for HPFP. Let's not forget Ad-Blue lol 

Older Turbo diesels avoid of lot of these common rail/emission issues but are slow AF and noisy as shit, dont have great economy, and are just unpleasant to be in. 

You know what has none of those issues? A late model V6 Prado that'll do 4-500ks before any major failure (maintenance done properly) and it's comfy, quiet, and has power (relatively speaking). 

Did you lunch your 1GR somehow? that'll be 5-8ks for a new engine please. Did you lunch your VD? Please bend over... 

Modern TD can get out. 

VW Tiguan Updates:

• Service manager no ETA on mechatronic
  • Europcar car lease has been extended for the Nissan X-Trail

Nissan X-Trail Updates:

• Fking hell it drinks, so I filled up 49L (was in reserve) and have done 354 km
    • 13.84L / 100KM
  • Someone overinflated the tyres, I've dropped down to 2.5bar all round
    • I can now drive over roundabouts, pretty cool... no need to worry about smashing 20" wheels
  • My wife loves the CVT transmission, said no bs rolling around/clunks and derping off the line at round abouts
    • Said it just is so direct

R33 Updates:

• Just renewed my full comp insurance, fkers jacked it up by $100, so now it's $1290 p/a comprehensive
  • Car is still fked
  • I might donate more money to the car gods soon:
    • new clutch
    • boost doc heater line redo dis dat

Anyone seen my lost lost biological billionaire parents? I am done with my life lessons of being broke and needing to work all the time. Also I want a G81 M3 Competition wagon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

R33 Updates:

• Just renewed my full comp insurance, fkers jacked it up by $100, so now it's $1290 p/a comprehensive

This is incredibly cheap. Mine is almost double.

Not that anyone gives a shit (maybe @Duncan might get horny over these stats).

Nissan X-Trail 2024 ST-L fuel economy:

• 8.9L / 100km (according to the trip computer) going from Sydney to Jervis Bay, and Jervis Bay to Berry & back home.
  • Nearly smashed a whole tank.

Pretty terrible, considering they advertise it to do 7.4 ~ 7.8L/100km. Missed the mark by 14%

Anyhow, wife is liking the CVT quite a bit & the fat tyres vs. the DSG & 20s on the Tiguan.

VW Australia still have not given me an ETA on the shit box, however have extended the loan car by another 2x weeks lol.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Pretty terrible, considering they advertise it to do 7.4 ~ 7.8L/100km. Missed the mark by 14%

To be fair the advertised values are just from whatever benchmark they run. My understanding was they are good for comparing cars but nowhere near real world use. Surely the same for VW? Not that they would ever lie about something like fuel consumption or emissions. :D

So the wife likes it. How do you find it?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

Surely the same for VW? Not that they would ever lie about something like fuel consumptions or emissions. :D

Actually most owners have gotten better fuel economy than what is advertised at 7.4L/100km. @No Crust Racing's missus has one and has seen under 7.0L/100km

They might be testing it at a higher cruise speed? no idea.

9 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

How do you find it?

I don't mind it actually, a few things I dislike:

• fuel economy sucks, fk me
  • terrible overtaking capabilities, no power (Tiguan over takes with ease) 
    • However great & zippy around town
  • No door auto locking, seems not available for AU market (odd)
  • Rear seat middle arm rest/drink holder actually is the back rest
    • When you move that down, you expose the cargo area
  • Passenger mirror doesn't auto dip when Reverse is engaged
  • Audio doesn't lower when Reverse is engaged (good for me, I can't concentrate with music when parking)
  • Door unlocking strategy is weird, European cars nail this
  • Like 1