SAU Community

Garret gt35 fully stock RB25 neo??

So i'm thinking of going for the e85 and a hypergear turbo, will probably do ffp. Top mount with external gate and a bigger fuel pump aswel once thats done I'll get a chip and tune. Thoughts?

FFP waste of time.  High mount manifold also waste of time.

You will get more power in total if you do either or both of;

• highmount the HG turbo,
  • external gate.

But.....for your power targets neither are truly necessary.  Your likely best approach would be to mod the stock exhaust manifold to put an ext gate on the top of the collector and just low mount the HG turbo in the stock location.

You now need to go read all 599 pages of the HG turbo thread, where you will see these same things I have just told you.

Oh, one more thing.  No "chip and tune".  And not "after" the physical mods.  The car will not drive with a big turbo (and injectors) on it on stock management.  Do the ECU at the same time.  Your minimum approach there is to Nistune the stock ECU, in which case you will need a Z32 or better AFm to go with it.  Otherwise HG will happily sell you an Adaptronic ECU, or you can use any ECU of your choice, because let's face it, they all do the same bloody thing.

I'd recommend a gt3076 size turbo with stock mani and gate off rear housing  and some 260 Tomei drop in cams which you can setup to sound lumpy by tuning it that way .. that clip sounds like straight pipes at the rear?

Edited by AngryRB

I personally wouldn't do it off the housing either for obvious reasons.

The exhaust pressure would be through the roof by the time it is bleed post collector at the housing side.

You would want to run the gate off the stock manifold and preserve the stock divider as much as possible to reduce interference between the exhaust pulses.

I went from gate off housing to gate onto manifold and picked up ~20kW with the same timing map. Then rammed in more timing and the motor happily kept making more power. Eventually ended up making an additional 40kW with essentially the same turbo (just ball bearing centre instead of journal, same compressor wheel, same turbine wheel).

• Like 1

Keep it coming guys. I'm reading all the posts, still deciding on what to do. The 34 is currently sitting in my garage fully stripped for new paint and gtr conversion without the wide body plus a shit load off aftermarket parts, bride seats, steering wheel, gear knob, carbon gtr bonnet, brand new interior the list goes on lol Hoping to have it all done by December and then I'll work the engine so keep posting you're ideas [emoji106]

Why all those mods? For bling and sting, do the ext wastgate mod, get a very good exhaust and a stand alone ecu with short loam to handle maxing your injectors and ignition. Also put a stink plazma man intercooler. Then with all the money saved, think of what motor you want, 2jz? Rb26/30, rb25neo?
Then buy the injectors and turbo for that engine, then buy that engine. At each step you are buying things that can continue to be used later as yoy upgrade engine. I think the 25 neo is badass.

A proper manifold and external gate will do wonders. I used to be a bit sceptical until I tried it on my own car, on turbos around the gt35 size you can pick up almost 1000rpm in spool and that will change the entire feel of the car

When you let the motor breathe of cause it will become more efficient.

Remember it's just a big bad air pump, air in, air out. Now this is why the twin boys have issues, massive front wheels and pea sized turbine side and wonder why they are laggy, have heat management issues and of course lift heads lol.

If you're on a budget modify the stock manifold so you essential have a "twin scroll-ish" manifold. Works wonders, I picked up 40kW purely from that - made 372 Real Australian kW on a Mainline dyno.

20160227_163438.thumb.jpg.ab5968c4a4038820feea6fe87ddd4b20.jpg

Gate off housing for me was WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY better at boost control than a 6boost is. I could run anywhere from 4psi to 35psi with gate off housing, min boost on the 6boost is like 15psi with a 50MM gate whereas the previous gate was 45mm.

Realistically what you're doing with gate on housing is having the gate happen after the Turbo flange, where all the air is being forced anyway and is the restriction in any manifold.

Making it all fit is always the issue, but it's about as equally as fitting as modifying the stock manifold to do it. Really depends on what you feel like getting cut up. China rear housings for GT35/GT30's are readily available for $200 new from Kinugawa etc. Stock manifolds are cheap too, though. Either works for what you're looking for.