SAU Community

Garrett G Series

The particular ATR43SS-2 is a 2019 built model. I'll be happy to upgrade to current model free if you are keen to do further comparison work.  Or whoever buys it that want to update shoot in an email. 

Edited by hypergear

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2022 at 9:48 PM, hypergear said:

The particular ATR43SS-2 is a 2019 built model. I'll be happy to upgrade to current model free if you are keen to do further comparison work.  Or whoever buys it that want to update shoot in an email. 

very good and generous offer, thank you. Don't think I'll have the time or funds to do this but, appreciated.

The Garrett supercore is on now and, trying to remain impartial as I didn't have any expectations of ' difference", or dyno results for exact comparison but, does feel like the genuine Garrett has a bit more torque to it than the Pulsar turbo.

• 1 month later...

Great reading here.

I am just in the process of buying a new turbo for my 26/30.

Im only after about 500 whp with killer response max rpm about 7000-7500

I was lucky enough to pick up an old hks split pulse manifold ( low mount with top mounted wastegate)

Cant make up my mind between a g30-770 or a g30-900 with a .85 divided manifold . Im really open to what every one thinks, im looking for and would appreciate help . I did look at the efr but its impossible to get them at the moment. 

You can get a t4 twin scroll rear for it from atp in America, barely anyone does internal gates on twin scrolls because they are a massive compromise. If you’re going to expense of going single you may as well do it properly with external gates and etc 

• Like 1

I was going to say the 900 also. The 770 would probably do it, especially seeing as you're proposing to use the same exhaust housing whichever way you go. But the 900 should still rip on a 3L bottom end.

But, A word of caution. Will you be able to fit that turbo on the low mount HKS manifold? There's not a lot of room down there for a biggun.

Is the top mount wastegate offtake common to both halves of the manifold? If so, then that's a bit shit. Kinda ruins the point.

28 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

You can get a t4 twin scroll rear for it from atp in America, barely anyone does internal gates on twin scrolls because they are a massive compromise. If you’re going to expense of going single you may as well do it properly with external gates and etc 

What would be the disadvantage of a modern internal waste gate 

46 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I was going to say the 900 also. The 770 would probably do it, especially seeing as you're proposing to use the same exhaust housing whichever way you go. But the 900 should still rip on a 3L bottom end.

But, A word of caution. Will you be able to fit that turbo on the low mount HKS manifold? There's not a lot of room down there for a biggun.

Is the top mount wastegate offtake common to both halves of the manifold? If so, then that's a bit shit. Kinda ruins the point.

No it’s divided all the way to the top. So until the wastegate opens it a fully divided manifold.  Good point on the space thanks for that.  They ran a t04z from hks so I think they were a big turbo in size 

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

I can’t find that housing on atp 

9 minutes ago, waxracing said:

No it’s divided all the way to the top. So until the wastegate opens it a fully divided manifold.  Good point on the space thanks for that.  They ran a t04z from hks so I think they were a big turbo in size 

You will need to cut out part of your rubber engine mount.
I tried running a gt3076r but it fouled on my chassis rail (S chassis)

1 minute ago, robbo_rb180 said:

You will need to cut out part of your rubber engine mount.
I tried running a gt3076r but it fouled on my chassis rail (S chassis)

I hope not to have to do that. Its in an r32 where it came from, not saying it will fit but Im sitting here with crossed fingers

So this is kinda relevant to this conversation, someone else have mentioned non-Garrett options so I feel like its not MILES from being appropriate to mention anyway as this suits the turbo matching concept and also possibly offers a housing option if you go genuine Garrett G35 900 core.

A mate with a GT-R which was running twin -5s on an RB26 with Kelford 272s had one of the turbos fail recently and it was going to be annoyingly hard work to replace when he already was aspiring to put an RB28 in it and go single turbo at some point, probably the likes of an EFR8474 when the budget allows but he was not ready to take it off the road.   Some big yarns were had about what would be the most rewarding way to get it running now but also not result in too much back tracking in the future.   The target was be at least as good as the -5s, fairly typical low mount twin setup with just over 500whp on 98 and full boost in the late 4000rpm range.

After much discussion around things like G30s, going straight to EFRs etc the budget right now wasn't suiting so partly to get it going sooner but also just to try something different he went with a Pulsar G35-900 copy with a .85a/r divided T4 housing.   Hoping it will be going in a couple of months or so with the divided housing, I can report on how that goes but I do realise people view the Pulsars as not at all a comparison with Garretts and the T4 hotside isn't even an option from Garrett, but I mention it partly because Pulsar *do* do a .85a/r T4 divided hotside which in theory should suit a G35, genuine or copy.

The Pulsar will at least be on there to get it running until an EFR/RB28 build can be sourced and delivered - though if the Pulsar performs too good it may stay in there longer haha.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a 3L block so he might have a little more vertical clearance to help with the engine mount, but I'd still worry about the space to the side of the engine bay.

1 hour ago, waxracing said:

What would be the disadvantage of a modern internal waste gate

The problem is you have 2x small flaps instead of 1x large one. For the space available and taken up by the 2x small flaps, you can't get anywhere near as much flow area as you can in a single scroll setup. So there's not really any such thing as a "modern internal wastegate" where they description is expressing some hope that they've managed to improve the design of something that has almost no improvement available.

• Like 2

Just now, waxracing said:

Can you now find one with an internal wastegate ??

Did you read the rest of my post? Do it properly and use external gates, there’s no such thing as a modern internal gate and they don’t work well anyway 

• Like 1