SAU Community

Garrett G Series

4 hours ago, Lithium said:

Nice work, congrats on the result and cheers for sharing - have been pretty sure that it should be able to make more even with that housing.   Looks like a nice fun delivery too, glad its making more the kind of power it should be now :)

Thanks !  I really appreciate your insight. I need to get into measuring EMAP to understand more of what you say and improve my experience.

On 4/13/2023 at 7:59 AM, hattori hanzo said:

chuck a bigger rear housing on it as well and i feel you will gain more everywhere again particularly if on E85 

I'd love to do this comparison but not a cheap one given the cost of a rear housing and dyno time.  I should say as above not really chasing more power at this stage. One day I will hopefully go 2.8 and then a larger rear will be worthwhile to get more out of it. I think that was really what I wanted to prove here is with a built bottom end, is 850 rear a real goal with this turbo.  Seemed a long long way of before. 

• Like 2

Here's my results from a G30-900 (1.01) on my RB26.

Pretty impressive for such low boost I thought but it's already at the end of it's efficiency..

Still, more than enough for what is predominantly a street car...

thumbnail_IMG_6264.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

Here's my results from a G30-900 (1.01) on my RB26.

Pretty impressive for such low boost I thought but it's already at the end of it's efficiency..

Still, more than enough for what is predominantly a street car...

thumbnail_IMG_6264.jpg

Solid, a bit hard to tell much from the info though - no rpm scale or anything.  What fuel is this, and the rest of the setup?   Hub dyno?   What does it spool/drive like?

• Like 1

Just now, Lithium said:

Solid, a bit hard to tell much from the info though - no rpm scale or anything.  What fuel is this, and the rest of the setup?   Hub dyno?   What does it spool/drive like?

Ah yes, sorry Lith, forget not everyone obviously knows my car....

Tuner couldn't get the graph to print with RPM scale so he's sending it to me when he sorts it...

This is E85 (actually E79), relatively basic forged typical RB26.

Link ECU

Kelford cams 264 degree (8.9mm lift)

Plazmaman 76mm intercooler

Artec V-band manifold

G30-900 (1.01) V-band

45mm Turbosmart gate

I've come from a twin setup (custom -7's) making roughly 40-50kws less, there is no denying it's better in every way..

I was impressed and happy with my twin setup and only removed as I had issues with the rear one otherwise i probably would've kept them

This combo makes all the right sounds and the things like transient response etc is what i love about this current setup...

• Like 2

Does anyone know if a G30-770 would fit in the stock location on an RB25 on an R34 GTT? Because I can get a rear housing that will allow it to bolt up, but I wonder if there’s enough space due to its overall larger size. A GTX3076 will fit, but the G30-770 is slightly larger in length and in diameter of the compressor housing.

On 22/04/2023 at 8:07 AM, smashmiek said:

Does anyone know if a G30-770 would fit in the stock location on an RB25 on an R34 GTT? Because I can get a rear housing that will allow it to bolt up, but I wonder if there’s enough space due to its overall larger size. A GTX3076 will fit, but the G30-770 is slightly larger in length and in diameter of the compressor housing.

Just get a spacer if you're worried.

6 hours ago, Super Drager said:

Just get a spacer if you're worried.

Less the spacer issue, more the space under there issue. Sounds like you’re implying that fouling on the manifold is the main thing to worry about? Hence the spacer?

just fit the gtx3076r if you know if fits, this line of g series with a big number at the end is all marketing, it will make 770 on a huge engine with the largest t4 rear housing, but on a 2.5 t3 it will make the same as a gtx maybe spool slightly earlier for lots more $.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, 

Recently fitted a g35-1050- 1.01 rear to my 25-30neo. The car made 649hp @30-32psi through an auto on mainline hub dyno. 98 with direct port WMI- Only e85 in drums where I am.

The car had previously made 530hp on a dynapack hub dyno and different converter with a gen 1 gt35- .82 rear and 3-inch dump. Will be racing it soon to see the difference. 

Specs of the motor are Built bottom, stock head with springs and 270 9.2 mm cam-tech cams, 4-inch dump down to 3-inch under the car and plumbed back gate. 

I was hoping for a little more like 750 or somewhere around there out of the g35 but maybe I'm dreaming. 

Seriously considering selling the g35 and manifold and going for a G40-1150. 
1- would the gains be decent? Also will be going from a t3 to a t4 divided manifold 

2- What rear housing would you recommend, ( I was thinking .95) 

2 hours ago, Huzqld said:

Hi Guys, 

Recently fitted a g35-1050- 1.01 rear to my 25-30neo. The car made 649hp @30-32psi through an auto on mainline hub dyno. 98 with direct port WMI- Only e85 in drums where I am.

The car had previously made 530hp on a dynapack hub dyno and different converter with a gen 1 gt35- .82 rear and 3-inch dump. Will be racing it soon to see the difference. 

Specs of the motor are Built bottom, stock head with springs and 270 9.2 mm cam-tech cams, 4-inch dump down to 3-inch under the car and plumbed back gate. 

I was hoping for a little more like 750 or somewhere around there out of the g35 but maybe I'm dreaming. 

1- would the gains be decent? Also will be going from a t3 to a t4 divided manifold 

*Not saying this is your issue. But one page back I posted this. 

I was hitting a wall at low 700s.  g35-1050 .83 - 4inch dump, 3inch exhaust. 

Swapped to 4inch exhaust and it picked up heaps and had scope for more ! 

This is the back to back 

image.png.08ae4cae0917e60f93cb2b53f9c631c9.png

• Like 4

On 06/06/2023 at 11:20 PM, Huzqld said:

Ahhh the joys.  I'm not going to make any assumptions on what you've tried or thought of, so just going to dump some thoughts haha.

First area to consider, comparing the actual dyno results it's worth trying to see the wood for the trees

1. Autos are a headfk when doing dyno testing at the best of times.  For the last few years I've been tuning a mates Toyota he dragraces - it had been running a 1.5litre 4cylinder turbo engine through a 5-speed manual and got it down to the mid 10s before the W58s became an item to be replaced every meet.  To resolve the issue he chose violence, and dropped a 2JZGE (with added Pulsar G35 900) onto the side of it and attached a Powerglide to it to get it running.  It took him the whole offseason to do all that work and ultimately got it to a point it was able to start and run with the old diff he had with the W58, and the fuel pump setup for the 4cylinder.

The 10.58 @ 131mph he achieved was 320rwkw with the dyno we use for this car, fuel pressure all looked sweet... however with the 2JZ the same fuel pump setup was dropping pressure badly at only 286rwkw.   All indications were the it was swallowing heaps of more air than the old 1.5 even though it was running VERY little boost and the power was much lower, but the airflow / fuel flow numbers otherwise appeared to be adding up correctly.  Seemed to be happy and healthy so we figured just get it to the strip and do some shake downs.

Long story short, despite the new engine/gearbox combo likely adding 100kg odd to the weight of the car and making less power on the dyno we ended up coaxing it down to a 9.78 @ 138mph (crossing the finish line on the limiter because out of gearing).  Heavier car with less measured power.   Of course there are other variables at play, but at the end of the day the fuel flow and the MPH vs weight suggest the thing was making a significant amount more power than it was with the 4cylinder.   Autos do weird shit.

2. Comparing two different dynos isn't going to help the comparison

3. As per our experience, sometimes the dragstrip can give you more of an idea than the dyno will when autos are involved.   Maybe worth driving it or getting it down the strip before making any hasty calls - may turn out to be combo that works better than how the dyno number makes you feel.

Second major thing to consider which kinda branches from the first is that when choosing a turbo you have to work out how much airflow you need, or maybe more to the point - are actually going to be making decent use of and is going to suit your setup:

1. The whole topic is one you should be discussing with your tuner, but this would be the most poignant one - what held you back from making more power?   98+WMI is arguably a lot less potent a fuel than E85 etc, depending on the blend and how your tuner has chosen to use it.   If for some reason "all the timing" that the engine needs to make optimal use the air/fuel mix in there hasn't been dialled in then you potentially have a turbo capable of making more power than it is if the fuel (or the tuner's confidence in it) isn't there.     It's worth knowing if part of the reason the power isn't as high as expected is because the tuner hasn't been able to lean on it and there is power on the table with higher octane fuel, as if there is then a turbo upgrade may not get the significant gains you're hoping for as the turbo may not have been the key limitation at this point.   I'm not saying this is the case, I don't have the data to know it but plenty of people have been in this kind of situation and done a turbo upgrade with underwhelming results because of this kind of reason.   

2. As @GTSBoyindicated, data is king.  If you had turbo speed/emap/whatever data you'd be in a much better position to estimate yourself how responsible the turbo itself is for limiting power - ie, if the airflow is there or not.  Bare in mind, the EMAP or turbo speed being high just means your turbo isn't going to be able to give you more air... if the tune is held back at all (refer point 1) then it could still mean better octane fuel would be money better spent than a turbo upgrade.   Worth speaking to tuner if you want to get an idea of where things are at there if you have any doubt of that, you may gain more power per psi with a bigger turbo but if you want a significant amount more power then more boost is probably going to be necessary to get the extra airflow which is pointless if your tuner isn't happy with the fuel you're using at that point.

Now to actually TL;DR answer to your questions:

1) See how it drives and how it goes on the track before getting too concerned about power figures - esp. when you get an auto involved.  650whp through an auto could be a much faster car than you're expecting it to be, maybe.  Turbo may or may not be tapped out but because of how hard the tuner is pushing it and how the auto is delivering that to the wheels its hard to know how much to blame the turbo for the 650whp figure.  This will put you in a better position to decide whether upgrade to the G40 is going to be worthwhile.

2) Housing will depend on how concerned about lag you're going to be.  I'd be tempted to swing the .95 if you are concerned at all but if you're trying to make a big step up in power it's probably worth not being shy.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Huzqld said:

Thanks guys, 

I have been thinking emap, but haven't had a chance to measure yet. Here's a pic of the dyno readout, sorry about the crappy quality 

Looks to be carrying power reasonably well, the boost control solenoid duty cycle can often paint a picture of EMAP.  If the duty cycle is picking up a lot through the rpm range then EMAP is likely to be running away - if you're holding fairly steady WGDC....so if you hit target boost at 4500rpm and it stays at a fixed duty cycle area from there until 7500rpm to hold the same boost then EMAP probably isn't out of control.  If it gains 10+% then it probably is.  Reason is here is you're having to compensate for the raising exhaust pressure against the wastegate valve

Edited by Lithium

On 4/22/2023 at 7:37 AM, smashmiek said:

Pulsar G30-770 in an R33, 10mm spacer. IWG bracket needs to be modified as the one supplied won't clear the strut tower.

image.thumb.jpeg.43549a5db8248710a4a4c55c580d9023.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, nicr4wks said:

Pulsar G30-770 in an R33, 10mm spacer. IWG bracket needs to be modified as the one supplied won't clear the strut tower.

image.thumb.jpeg.43549a5db8248710a4a4c55c580d9023.jpeg

Legendary, thank you. Have you got it running? How’s it going for you?