SAU Community

MLR's 86 not a build thread thread

Job for Saturday 

I estimate it will take 2 cans of whiskey to do, coils should be here on 28th, and a oil drain valve should be here around the same time, still got a few thousand K's before that goes in.

I went for a ride in a supercharged 86 with about 160kw and a turbo BRZ with about 180kw.

Supercharged was fun, the turbo, with all its wooshy noises was brilliant. 

Note to self: NO.....

20180822_155711.jpg

33 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Bent rods aren't fun 

If I did decide to boost it I would also throw some rods and slugs in it, that's a given.

I wouldn't go for anything over 200 though even with rods and pistons, apart from the clutch, the drivetrain appears to be fine there, from 250 up (with the addition of all of the resulting torques) the gearbox becomes a consumable item. 

Hell, the turbo BRZ with 180 is just about perfect anyway, it was super responsive and sounded wicked, it has been boosted for 2 years with only a better clutch to hold it all together, strangely its held together otherwise, albeit it hasn't seen the track and is his daily driver.

9 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

My work mate just got some China Dim Sum special turbo kit for his 86 from EFFN Motorsport or some crap. He is still waiting for it to be installed then tuned by PVS.

$12k drive in and out, wonder if it does what it says it does. 

I think Pulse does one for a similar cost using a modified AVO set up and Ecutek, should see 170ish ballpark, dependant on supporting mods of course.

In other news, I found something for the rubbish bin, ye olde sound tube.

20180823_153539.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, and screw you you ham fisted Toyota service center greaser.

My oil filter tool had no joy, ended up doing the old hammer and screwdriver trick.

f**king monkeys.

20180823_145127.jpg

• Like 1

I think Pulse does one for a similar cost using a modified AVO set up and Ecutek, should see 170ish ballpark, dependant on supporting mods of course.
In other news, I found something for the rubbish bin, ye olde sound tube.

20180823_153539.thumb.jpg.45be25d9fa6729938cff5e1dcab9f5cb.jpg

That was going to be the first thing I did as well lol.
  • Like 1

Alcohol and Ebay are not good bedfellows.

At least this will clean up the induction hose where the sound tube was, there is currently a lid from a old oil container blocking it.

As for the blanking cap for  the sound tube that is supplied with the kit, I mistakenly thought it was for the little plastic 45° elbow at the fire wall, it's not, it is meant for the body of the sound tube, why in the hell would you remove the front section of the sound tube and leave the rest of that abomination sitting on top of the engine?

Added powers (from the intewebs) are from 5hp to + 20 hp, LOLOLOLOOLOLSSSSSSS 

I'm just hoping it doesn't lose any power or response, that would be sweet..wouldn't it.....

Note to self: dont Ebay when I'm drunk.

shopping.jpeg

• Like 1

In other news: the oil warmer/cooler is bringing oil temps up from cold a good deal quicker.

Testing procedure from cold: previously,  when my coolant temp would get to 90° my oil temp would be around 60°, now oil is at 80° and only takes another minute to hit 90°.

Oil tends to stabilise around 95° for longers when I'm up it.

Time, and summer temps will tell a better story IRT how well it works.

Overall I'm really happy about the oil coming up to temp quicker though, waiting for oil temps to come up before thrashing it is tiresome..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

that pipe won't dose well though, won't go suuuuuuuuuuu tututututu

I think the little girl is missing one major component IOT impersonate a pidgeon.

It does go "ssshhhwwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa" good now though.

I was unable to fit the resonator, even with some "lube", the resonator is meant to knock out some of the induction noise, and add a whopping "claimed" hp increase of between 1 or 2 hp.

It now has the supplied plug under there.

There seems to be no downsides to the install without the resonator though, after a good old fashion thrashing, the car seems to run as good, if not better, than before the install.

Not that I could notice a couple of hp either way, but the response from idle to WOT "seems" better.

I'm sure if I was a kid, or Merican, I could claim that it gave me a 10hp increase in power, and knock off 0.5 seconds from a 1/4, but I'm not, so I can't.

Whilst it still couldn't pull the skin off custard it does sound good now with the zorst and intake.

In other news: MCA gear should be in my hands tomorrow or Friday, hopefully......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTofuS-T said:

Looks nice, but the OCD in me would prefer that chrome bezel to be colour matched to the wheel.

I sort of felt the same, but my OCD was relieved by they fact that the OEM wheel nuts I'm using are chrome, thus, in my easily appeased mind, everything is OK and right in the world.

• Like 1