SAU Community

Is this going to reduce legacy GT-R prices?

Nissan puts legendary RB26 inline-six engine back into production

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/28/nissan-legendary-rb26-engine-back-in-production/

https://www.nismo.co.jp/news_list/2019/news_flash/19009.html?fbclid=IwAR2BDqfwLboXdRRcvl5NZ7Puq3Bzmu3ZqBiAEmXrfRSFFrD0cWtZld9ztb0

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.nismo.co.jp/heritage_parts/&prev=search

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27205/nissan-puts-its-gt-rs-famous-rb26-inline-six-engine-back-into-production

As per above, is there is a chance that R32 - R34 GTR prices will reduce by a bit? At the moment, the prices of some of the GT-Rs on carsales appear to be ridiculously high and unrealistic (IMHO). Some have been sitting there for months.

Is there a possibility they will ever reduce or is it just a one way street now? (Considering US import restrictions etc)

They're also NOT putting the RB26 back into production.  They are putting the block back into production.  And the block has always been available anyway, so this doesn't really change much.  The head going back into production is a little bit of a bigger deal, but not a lot.

Not making whole engines.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

They're also NOT putting the RB26 back into production.  They are putting the block back into production.  And the block has always been available anyway, so this doesn't really change much.  The head going back into production is a little bit of a bigger deal, but not a lot.

Not making whole engines.

just like JZ blocks, there's still a lot of new blocks in Japan and Arab Emirates but the price still overrated.

haha and there's definitely not a single reason for reducing the price for such cars. Soon they will all become living legends like hachiroku.

It's a bit sad. As much as I love them, they are going for insane prices. If people are not willing to fork out that much cash, the prices should fall down. But Japan has to lead the way first in terms of even domestic prices being reduced for older GTRs.

My dream is more out of reach now - even though one might be able to afford it, it just doesn't make sense to fork out that much money - unless one has dollars growing on trees of course ?

Edited by Liquid Swords

Prices may be high, but the cars are not moving. We dont have the american hunger for the GT-R and 99% of buyers will simply walk away, especially when most cars on sale are junk and not even worth half their asking price

Prices won't be going down because of Nissan's heritage program.
At this point it's going to take something going seriously big to drop interest/demand.

8 hours ago, Liquid Swords said:

My dream is more out of reach now - even though one might be able to afford it, it just doesn't make sense to fork out that much money - unless one has dollars growing on trees of course

Buy a BMW M4, cost less than a R34 GT-R. Handles better, goes harder, no broken oil pumps just water pumps instead 

lol @ just water pumps instead. At these prices, I can't even bring myself to invest in a decent R32 GTR, let alone an R34 GTR. The 'value/fun for money' line has been crossed by a lot now. Let's see how it goes in the next 6 months or so.

Thanks for your feedback all.

Yes, but if people are not going to buy them at those prices, the prices will eventually need to reflect the additional supply of these cars in the market (in Australia). It's a sad state of affairs when crappy / mediocre R34 GTRs with 100k + km are listed for $80k - 90k, and some even above $100k.

18 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

But but but. People are buying them at high prices

Doesn't seem like it as far as I'm aware. I've been following the listings for a while now and almost all of them having been sitting there for numerous months. In fact, I see additional R34s and R33s coming up in the market and just sitting there trying to get their share of this over-blown bubble ?

Hopefully this additional supply of GTRs at unrealistic prices will drop the demand further, resulting in lower prices. But one can only dream.

8 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

I was getting excited when 34R prices were dipping below $40k. Now it's just a dream.

Much better cars out there for $80-100k anyway.

Yup. Have to kinda agree with that now ?

Sellers are pretty happy to just leave their cars up for sale and not budge on the prices. Sometimes prices go up too, one R33 almost doubled, even after being on sale for many months

17 hours ago, Liquid Swords said:

Doesn't seem like it as far as I'm aware. I've been following the listings for a while now and almost all of them having been sitting there for numerous months. In fact, I see additional R34s and R33s coming up in the market and just sitting there trying to get their share of this over-blown bubble ?

Hopefully this additional supply of GTRs at unrealistic prices will drop the demand further, resulting in lower prices. But one can only dream.

I've touched on this topic before. The GTRs that are worth buying do sell and quickly, generally before being advertised widely. 

The ones you see up for sale on Carsales, ebay etc are not the best examples, some of them have rust, some have questionable modifications and a bunch have my personal favourite "low kms" on a brand new Nismo dash cluster while managing to look as ragged and worn out as they come. Of the 60 or so cars that are online right now. About four or five of them are worth buying at advertised prices (in my opinion). There's even a GTS4 and a re-birthed car in the mix in this set.

We see this cycle a few times a year, good cars go up for sale, are sold quickly, then a bunch of people with "so-so" cars jump on the selling bandwagon at inflated prices. 

My opinion regarding your first question is: No the heritage program won't lower prices and no I don't think that prices are going to drop any time soon. The US market coming online each year won't help prices as people are buying more and more GTRs out of Japan. The more this happens the rarer they become in Japan, the higher the prices. This is then reflected in other markets where GTRs are prevalent. 

Of course, as someone with a GTR, if they start to drop i'll make a considerable loss on the cars and will be crying into my weeties each morning (not really, though, you take these risks knowing it could go wrong). 

• Like 1

There is no car that sounds like or has the haunting power delivery of an RB26 GTR

I know plenty around here think I wear a tin foil hat, reality is theyre going up and up and people will look back on this post in years to come and realise how right I was.

People are underestimating the buying of the yanks and they will spend big for the good ones e.g. a Supra went for 172k USD a month or so ago. GTR = 6 figure car

On 4/16/2019 at 11:36 AM, Steve85 said:

My opinion regarding your first question is: No the heritage program won't lower prices and no I don't think that prices are going to drop any time soon. The US market coming online each year won't help prices as people are buying more and more GTRs out of Japan. The more this happens the rarer they become in Japan, the higher the prices. This is then reflected in other markets where GTRs are prevalent.

Thanks. Say, if most of the GTRs move out of Japan to elsewhere, to Aus. for example, then the supply in our domestic market will inherently increase and we'll then become a mini Japan / home for these cars (just for the sake of saying).

If this happens, then why do the prices need to be so high in the Oz market, where what's happening in Japan isn't relevant to our market to an extent. In the end, it appears that all of these prices are then being driven by US peeps who have the cash to go out of their way to get these GTRs, when the 25 year rule or whatever starts applying to these cars. Some V-Spec R34 GTRs appear to be listed at almost twice their realistic price.

I think I just need to stop crying and accept the fact that I'm not going to own one ?

Edited by Liquid Swords