SAU Community

How to roll forward odometer R33 GTR

R33_Kris

Hi All, Couldn't find anything on this topic so hoping someone out there can help.

My cluster stopped working so I had to replace it with a stock second hand one. My car has around around 75,000 km and the replacement cluster has 51,000 km on it.

Wanting to know if there is a way to increase the reading so that my odometer stays consistent?

Edited by R33_Kris

Haha yeah there is that option but I don't have the time.  No service history, so would be good to adjust it somehow.

In NZ the km's get registered on a site called CARJAM so would show up as an inconsistent odometer if I left it how it is now.

Edited by R33_Kris

29 minutes ago, R33_Kris said:

In NZ the km's get registered on a site called CARJAM so would show up as an inconsistent odometer if I left it how it is now.

And as long as you're open with it and there is some way to note it in CARJAM, there really shouldn't be any problem.

Your physical solution is to go buy a cheap Chinesium cordless drill, connect it to the speedo drive (pulled out of the gearbox) and sit the car in the garage with the trigger cable tied until it has done 24000km. That would suck, but it would work.

Your electronic solution is to make an Arduino to output a sine/triangle wave of about +/-1V and pulse it at whatever frequency is broadly equivalent to 300 km/h and let it run until the odo winds on 24000km. That's about 80 hours, or a long weekend.

• Like 1

I'd suggest take a photo of the two clusters together. Make sure you're upfront if you ever sell and you might be ok (depends on the buyer then).

Hmm, sounds like there's no easy approach to this. Might just have to document the change and live with the 24,000 km decrease on CARJAM. It doesn't bother me and to be honest I'd live with it if I was going to keep the car forever, but I will eventually be selling it to buy a house in a couple years and worried it might hurt the resale value.

Is what it is, I guess it would be OK if I keep the broken cluster as proof. Would've been nice to keep the records clean though.

Yes, in regards to resale: all you can do is keep the old cluster, any documentation (take photos) and be up front about it.

I looked at a few cars that nismo cluster swaps, it didn't phase me (and shouldn't phase an educated buyer) as long as there's documentation to explain the discrepancy :) (y)

Remove the cluster from the car, remove the odometer from the cluster remove the speedo odometer and you can pretty much use your fingers to move the dials around to get to the position you require 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Email LTSA with the previous kms, the new kms, why you swapped it and a receipt for the new cluster.

It'll still show inconsistent speedo on Carjam but will be legal, Auckland Instruments or Robinsons could probably wind it forward otherwise.