SAU Community

Best LED headlight bulb to use?

2 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Yeah, how shit were the halogen bulbs?

Headlights themselves makes a big difference. E.g. dad's Camry (last of the Australian made ones) has shit projectors in them. Upgraded H11 to H9, marginal. Threw in a "good" LED bulb, looks great/bright up close, is meh while driving (so if you're after just colour upgrade and output is same as standard, I can suggest a H11 for your projectors). Can't believe we didn't get the good Koito H11 projectors here.

Oh and that "group buy", the guy wanted me to transfer money to him directly instead of going through alibaba, no deal.

But yes looking forward to the output photos, I would love to be proven wrong but I haven't seen one single LED bulb that's an actual upgrade here in Australia.

I have the Narva high intensity high beams in the cruiser, the cheap ass low beam LEDs from eBay I had in it threw light as far down the road as my high beams, the only thing the high beams did was light the tops of trees up. And I'm talking the top of the tree, not halfway up the gum, just the top. The LEDs also lit the middle of the tree up. 

Only way to get more light was to flick the light bar on. Unfortunately it's more of a flood than a spot bar. Still got more distance and width, but not like I would if I ran the bar I put on the old boys Hilux. 

The current Phillips low beam halogens I have are rubbish. 

8 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

What bulb socket/fitting? Also which car/housing?
FYI Narva are rebranded Osram @ double the price

In the 105 Cruiser, HB3  and HB4. Can't remember which is which ha ha 

Probably HB3, as most Japanese cars are. There's a nice upgrade for those high beam, 9011. I got a bunch of Toyota HIR1 (9011) that doesn't need any modifying, goes straight in with HB3 plug. It appears on our Tarago (JDM ones use HB3).

s-l300.jpg

HB3 = 1860 lm
HIR1 = 2350 lm

It's the reason why the old Osram Rallye H7 was good, it had a H9 (2100 lm) burner (H7 is 1500 lm).

7 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Probably HB3, as most Japanese cars are. There's a nice upgrade for those high beam, 9011. I got a bunch of Toyota HIR1 (9011) that doesn't need any modifying, goes straight in with HB3 plug. It appears on our Tarago (JDM ones use HB3).

s-l300.jpg

HB3 = 1860 lm
HIR1 = 2350 lm

It's the reason why the old Osram Rallye H7 was good, it had a H9 (2100 lm) burner (H7 is 1500 lm).

Yeah it runs a HB3, and a HB4, I just don't remember which one is high/low beam.
I'm assuming from the above HB3 is likely my high beam?

Yeah I'd assume so. But still, 90's headlights man, not working with much. LED can help IF the emitters are positioned in a way to focus off the reflectors, which basically means custom made bulb for your headlight (unless it's a fluke, impossible to happen).

Reason why Diode Dynamics in USA made LED bulbs for F150. They happen to work quite well in other headlights.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, Wirelessstiv said:

One of the important criteria for selecting LED lamps for a car is the specific base of the car. In this case, the base is designated similarly to standard halogen lamps.

This time I'm quoting the post I reported, so I can say "f**koff" to it.

Ban. Ban Ban. Bananannannanana ban ban.