SAU Community

R34 Track/Street Car

Tobz

On 23/08/2021 at 7:24 PM, Ben C34 said:

How many microns is the stainless filter? Just saying micron makes no sense.

Im actually not sure. I've never thought about it as it came with the car and I honestly never really cared that much until now.

I'm assuming it's 40 microns, but I am actually not sure. I'm investigating if I get a new mesh so I know for sure. Or if anyone has any other options on appropriate fuel filters. Definately something I am not ignoring now

Actually thinking about it logically, it could also just be the wideband sensor acting up...

I've heard they start to read lean as they wear out.... It's not overly old (about 18 months) and hasn't actually done all that much milage (2,000kms tops) but I guess it has had a hard life being on the track

Actually thinking about it logically, it could also just be the wideband sensor acting up...

I've heard they start to read lean as they wear out.... It's not overly old (about 18 months) and hasn't actually done all that much milage (2,000kms tops) but I guess it has had a hard life being on the track

I've had one for years (mounted near the cat, which is where they say to mount them, NOT the dump)

Wideband AFR is only one measurement, presumably injector ms has not changed.

I also had scenarios where as Ben is alluding to, one filter was blocked, and the previous one wasn't.

I.e Ryco into 25micron filter into the 10 micron filter buckets on the injectors themselves. One or more of these may be clogged/acting up and if your filters aren't fine enough, it'll be your injectors.

And if your filters are too fine, you'll be constantly changing them. Cars are fun. I noticed this pretty much any time I changed from 98 back to E85 I'd have this issue but it could easily be some clog in my system that gets stirred up from changing solvants and not a general problem affecting everyone :P

Just got the injectors back, there was no issue with them, they all flowed the same and the pattern looked good.

The fuel filter looked good. I'll probably pull the pump this weekend to check the sock.

However, I'm now 90% certain its a failed Wideband. The guys who did the install when I got the new ECU put in just swapped the old o2 sensor for the wideband. Might organise to get a new bung welded in before the cat. 

The mystery just got interesting. Pulled my wideband sensor and it actually doesn't make sense. I have a new Haltech WB1 yet the sensor in the engine bay is a LSU4.2 sensor. This may explain why the sensor always gave me some very weird readings...  

Not sure why someone would put this sensor in... Hopefully was just a mistake. Have ordered a new LSU4.9 sensor 

The fact that there is a sensor in the engine bay is alarming enough when it comes to widebands, but the 4.2 is more sensitive than the 4.9 in that aspect (apparently).

My 4.2(s) has lasted a very long time mounted in the specific manner they request to be, which is on a certain angle, and at least (!) 1 meter away from the exhaust manifold.

If it's in the dump pipe in the stock O2 location, in a dump, 20cm from a turbine housing, expect to be periodically replacing these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

still waiting on my new wideband sensor. Sapresbox are taking forever, looks like they didnt have any stock in the country and mail is taking forever these days!  When it arrives i want to get a new bung welded in further along the dump pipe.

Ive been doing a few small jobs with the car since we are in lockdown anyway. Moved the oil cooler to a better position, got a taarks oil filter relocation kit to get the oil filter in a better position. 

Also ordered a 3qt Accusump that I want to pop in the boot. Was only $385 on Amazon (with no valve), went back to $450 shortly after i ordered. I'm thinking i will just run a manual valve rather than the electronic one.

• 2 weeks later...

So got the new wideband, turned on the "auto tune" on the ecu and it was all looking good. However, I did strip a knock sensor and then started looking through the ecu. Watched a few hp academy videos and realised my ecu had a few glaring issues (such as the flex fuel sensor being disabled)

Anyway I lost a bit of faith in the tune after that as there were a lot of little issues (which may have been fine, but I didn't feel comfortable anymore).

Went to a new workshop, Glen at ESP was amazing, really nice bloke and I feel actually cared about getting the right result.

He did swap my knock sensors to the Bosch donut type sensors, I know it's not 100% needed, but it's cheap and adds a level of insurance. 

Also got a clutch switch put in for flat foot, rev match, launch control etc.

Car is running well and without ANY engine mods at all the car has gone from making 305kw atw at 25-20psi to now making 330kw are at 18psi... It's night and day different! Very very happy!

Scan23092021203301_001~2.jpg

Glad you spent sometime reviewing yourself, reading your thread again I am confused why the tuner would say the adaptronic modular has no can capability because it definatly does. Sounds like you have found someone with their head screwed on to support you rather than just sell another solution and fail to set it up properly.

Looks like it will be heaps of fun to drive.

• 5 weeks later...