SAU Community

CD009 into R33 Skyline

Hi guys, I have a R33 that I've swapped a Neo into and is making just shy of 600rwhp.

I haven't had the usual 3rd gear issue, but I have snapped 2 input shafts. 

I'm considering going cd009, doing research I found the input shaft is the same size (spline from cd will fit into a rb clutch) but I believe where it benefits is it doesn't step down to a smaller size after the spline - this is where they always break. 

Having a 6th gear would be nice too. My question is, are the cd gearboxes really that much stronger than a skyline 5 speed? 

Also which adapter kit would I be best off looking at? I'm thinking about the JWT kit with a CBF mid mount shifter. 

I'd just need to fabricate my own cross member and have a shop modify the tailshaft. 

There is one guy on here who has done it using i believe the collins kit. Have heard that the collins one is dogshit.

Fisch racing are making a complete replacement bellhousing solution ala Mazworx SR20 style which i am very interested in.

Have heard one good review about the JWT kit, i think @LaurelPWR is using one on his car.

14 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

How are you snapping input shafts on a R33 box with only 600hp? I would be more concerned there's another issue.

This guy raise a very good point. The norm is the output shaft brakes from loading up the drive train to fast. Input shaft would be hard gear changes and shocking the box when you dump it

I stopped using the stock box at 600hp but mine was due to 3rd gear not wanting to play with the other gears very well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

How are you snapping input shafts on a R33 box with only 600hp? I would be more concerned there's another issue.

@Yonz has a CD009 box in, however no idea if he's around here anymore.

1 hour ago, WR33KD said:

This guy raise a very good point. The norm is the output shaft brakes from loading up the drive train to fast. Input shaft would be hard gear changes and shocking the box when you dump it

I stopped using the stock box at 600hp but mine was due to 3rd gear not wanting to play with the other gears very well.

Everytime its been clutch kick in 4th gear at about 150kph, solid center clutch and welded diff - its expected.

As far as the t56 manual swap goes I've looked into it and the ratios are no where as ideal as the cd009, also the shift quality is junk have you ever tried to shift a tremec past 6500rpm? They don't.

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

In before anyone else, Samsonas.

Haha there's no way I'm spending $20k aud on a gearbox with only 600rwhp I still want to street drive it. 

Come on boys must be someone active here who is running a tr6060 or cd009 behind their rb, I want a clean install. The JWT kit looks so janky with the cut off bellhousing. 

At the moment the rod shop kit looks the best. 

• 2 weeks later...

CD009 Rev 2 with external slave cylinder has been proven and documented to take 1000HP... keep in mind that this particular box is alot less common over the many many many 350/g35 boxes over the 8 years that were made different with alot of slight revisions. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2020 at 3:59 PM, iruvyouskyrine said:

There is one guy on here who has done it using i believe the collins kit. Have heard that the collins one is dogshit.

Fisch racing are making a complete replacement bellhousing solution ala Mazworx SR20 style which i am very interested in.

Have heard one good review about the JWT kit, i think @LaurelPWR is using one on his car.

What is dog shit with the Collins kit? 

Can't find an rb25 box , not even on Yahoo so need as a fix and the CD009 makes sense with a bit of bashing

19 hours ago, Roy said:

What is dog shit with the Collins kit? 

Can't find an rb25 box , not even on Yahoo so need as a fix and the CD009 makes sense with a bit of bashing

ytou can get rb25 boxes brand new from just jap - granted they order them in though

https://justjap.com/genuine-nissan-gearbox-nissan-skyline-er34-32010-aa520.html