SAU Community

Keep R33 Skyline or sell it for a 370z?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I want to keep my R33 GTST, in the last 3 months I've put $7k into it (turbo blew) so went 6 boost, garrett 3076 gen 2 and a couple other things. I know with the skyline I am on borrowed time with the 20 year old engine, also it hasn't been dynoed yet waiting on the workshop to finish off some fab work. I like the car but it has a few rust issues, the sunroof has just started leaking and to get a replacement (nissan wont just sell seals) is $2.3k AUD, plus getting the rust fixed up in the boot etc will be another couple grand. 

My girlfriend has also been trying to convince me to buy a 370z, as they're a lot newer (one I'm looking to buy is a 2017 6spd manual). But I don't really want to sell the 33, but think it'd be cheaper to own the 370z especially since I need a more reliable daily. 

Would it make sense putting another $20k into the r33 (this is factoring in a engine rebuild that will likely be needed soon) or cutting my loses and selling it for a 370z now?

Looking at the flip side of the coin, even the gtst’s are going up in value. So you’re not going to completely loose out on what you throw at it. If you really like the car, keep it, build it exactly how you want it and enjoy it. But if you’re going to go through the process of an engine build, might be worth buying a cheap run around. I think you’ll get board of the 370, there’s something special about an RB 

If it is your only car, an unreliable shitbox Skyline is not a great choice, no matter how much you love it. It will let you down and keep letting you down and you will keep spending money on it.

It will also remain a turbocharged car, which the 370 will almost certainly never be, and therefore the 370 will never be as exciting, even if it is faster in most situations.

I personally wouldn't own a 370, or anything factory VQ powered, because there is just so much electronic bullshit going on in those cars. If something on the Skyline fails, you can just hack a workaround into it. Much harder in the VQs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Put 33 in the shed and get a 370z. You won't regret it, they are nice to daily and great to take out for a thrash while going under the radar. I did it and wish I had done it sooner. 

If want a bit more go a set of headers, Decat pipes and Uprev tune will get a good result. They are starting to get old but so much better to daily than a busted old skyline. 

370'z are going down in price, and R33's are going up.

A smart choice is an older 370z for peanuts.

A really really smart choice is an 86 with a mild boost kit.

Skylines are great IF you can HAPPILLY encounter these problems and gain enjoyment from fixing them up, making them great, and enjoying the little things like buying satisfying new lines and shit.

If this does not bring enjoyment to you, buy something you don't need to do this with. A Skyline that does not need this stuff done to it will likely run 35k++++.

I agree with all these posts don't sell the 33 you'll regret it. You've already pumped 7k into it, fix it, keep it in the garage, drive it on the weekend and know it will be good again. It will make all the difference IF you decide to sell in years to come. People laugh at me when I tell them my prediction is 40 to 50k for a GTS-T in 5+ years. If GTR prices keep zooming like they are, they WILL follow. Look at VL turbo as an example I never thought they'd go for what they are now.  The amount of cars for sale is dwindling fast and this will bring values up 100%. Just my opinion.

Edited by trel

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Would rather just buy a 135i in Manual and it would be more reliable than a boosted FA rod bender.

Mine was fine, until I crashed it that is.

Plenty of mildly boosted 86's out there without any issues.

Mine was around 205kwatw with 270nm, not to bad for a 1250kg modern car with all the mod cons IMO.

It is when people try to get too much power down low that problems arise, not only with rods, but also gearboxes (basically the same as the box in the S15).

Like anything modified really, you can only go so far pushing OEM components until the lunch themselves, and when I started modifying the Skyline it lunched everything bit by bit.

I had 10 x the issues modifying my Skyline than I ever did with the 86.

Currently I am struggling to "not" buy another 86 and boosting it, out of all my cars to date, it is still my all time favorite, yeap, even better than the old 400kw R33 boat.

TL;DR get the 370Z, with a full exhaust and a tune.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Would rather just buy a 135i in Manual and it would be more reliable than a boosted FA rod bender.

I have heard so many horror stories about 135i's from people I know that I would never want one of these. Boosted FA Rod bender is the choice, but the real sleeper is a NB Turbo MX5 from the factory. 

(or buy my megane)

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

I have heard so many horror stories about 135i's from people I know that I would never want one of these. Boosted FA Rod bender is the choice, but the real sleeper is a NB Turbo MX5 from the factory. 

(or buy my megane)

Have you seen the price of clean low km SE or SP NB MX5's.

Yes, now I'm looking for one in Sydney, I ain't paying $40-50k though.

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

Maybe I should convince my girlfriend to sell hers, for the right price ?

Might be the time

And........tell me more about it, I may be interested for a sensible price.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, mlr said:

Might be the time

And........tell me more about it, I may be interested for a sensible price.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/mazda/mx-5/se-badge/

They seem closer to the 15-20k mark?

MX5 motors are stout and the OEM turbo will do 190kw.
That said, there's a lot at that price point. Namely 370z or 86's.

26 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/mazda/mx-5/se-badge/

They seem closer to the 15-20k mark?

MX5 motors are stout and the OEM turbo will do 190kw.
That said, there's a lot at that price point. Namely 370z or 86's.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-mazda-mx-5-sp-nb-series-2-manual/OAG-AD-19100660/

Nice but......

I actually looked at a NB Series 2 today, pretty clean, under 100k km. It was a tad above of what I'm willing to pay at 13k though.

I offered 10k which was knocked back, I'll have another go at it in a couple of weeks if it doesn't sell, and if I haven't found something else to drop my toy budget on.

I say keep the 33. Been daily driving mine for 10 years now and still love it. It all comes down to personal preference though. In saying that i will be getting a cheap daily very soon to stop racking up km's on the 33. With relation to the sunroof, you can replace just the rubber seal without replacing the entire sunroof assembly. I did mine about a year ago and paid roughly $150 from nissan.