SAU Community

Stuck in 1st gear when parked on hill?

Blakeo

For some reason my '05 350z will get stuck in first gear when parked on a hill, this is only if the gearbox is holding it (if the handbrake is, its fine). 

I won't be able to pull it out of first gear, even if I push the clutch in with the car off and it won't roll back either even with the clutch in.

The only way to release it, is to turn the car on with the clutch in and then I can pull it out but it always makes a big thud. 

Is that normal, in my R33 I can push the clutch in even with the car off and load on the transmission and change it out of 1st. 

I don't see that as a reasonable excuse for not engaging the handbrake, at all.

I hope you're at least turning your wheels in the right direction for your vehicle to veer into the kerb so that it doesn't roll off and damage someone else's vehicle or kill someone.

Pardon my judgmental attitude but part of motoring is thinking responsibly about everyone around you and your heavy steel weapon. We have parking brakes for a reason. They are the primary safety device, not your gearbox.

Let me say I almost never use the park brake on my autos, but that is a very different situation to manual. 

Auto has a pawl which locks the gearbox. Manual is just using engine compression to hold the car which is not safe depending on the slope or unexpected extra load like another car or a person leaning on it ;)

I think best practice is pull up to a stop with foot on the brake, pull up the hand brake, release foot off the brake pedal, turn off the car, clutch in (or not, don't think it matters once car is off) put the gearbox in 1st or reverse depending on whether you're facing up/down.

I do this in autos too, foot brake, hand brake, release foot brake, put lever into P.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, Duncan said:

Let me say I almost never use the park brake on my autos, but that is a very different situation to manual. 

Auto has a pawl which locks the gearbox.

I'm not so trusting of that idea either. I know of two people with two vehicles whose pawl did not hold their vehicle at all and made quite the amusing ticking sound as they rolled away from them. One caught his vehicle in time. The other, well, the write-off was a blessing in disguise anyway. To me, they're always a backup to the parking brake, not a primary.

Many cars do have neutral inhibit on manuals.  The Holden Cruze has such a crap handbrake they will roll away unless you crank it on hard and the owners manual specifies to leave in gear. Mate had one roll out his driveway across the road into neighbor's yard. Everyone was ok luckily , and from my perspective it was very funny.

5 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

and from my perspective it was very funny.

It always is when it's not your car. :P

Which reminds me, I need to readjust the parking brake on my V36. Nobody has really been capable of giving it a proper adjustment, working on the cable instead of the shoes themselves. I always get a little nervous creep from it.

On 24/02/2021 at 1:33 PM, Ben C34 said:

Squeezing the oil out of your engine bearings to hold the car on a hill sounds like a shit idea to me.

Hey @Ben C34 was this directed at my method?  Just would like to know how you mean as I am a mechanical numpty.

Cheers,

Edited by JGTC

36 minutes ago, JGTC said:

Hey @Ben C34 was this directed at my method?  Just would like to know how you mean as I am a mechanical numpty.

Cheers,

Not you directly mate. What you have described doesnt load up the gearbox and then engine unless the hand brake doesnt hold.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, Ben C34 said:

Not you directly mate. What you have described doesnt load up the gearbox and then engine unless the hand brake doesnt hold.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:37 AM, JGTC said:

Cheers,

On 2/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, The Max said:

It always is when it's not your car. :P

Which reminds me, I need to readjust the parking brake on my V36. Nobody has really been capable of giving it a proper adjustment, working on the cable instead of the shoes themselves. I always get a little nervous creep from it.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, Ben C34 said:

Many cars do have neutral inhibit on manuals.  The Holden Cruze has such a crap handbrake they will roll away unless you crank it on hard and the owners manual specifies to leave in gear. Mate had one roll out his driveway across the road into neighbor's yard. Everyone was ok luckily , and from my perspective it was very funny.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, The Max said:

I'm not so trusting of that idea either. I know of two people with two vehicles whose pawl did not hold their vehicle at all and made quite the amusing ticking sound as they rolled away from them. One caught his vehicle in time. The other, well, the write-off was a blessing in disguise anyway. To me, they're always a backup to the parking brake, not a primary.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:06 PM, GTSBoy said:

I never leave a manual parked in gear. Accidental key turning can result in panel damage because there is no neutral inhibit on a manual.

The handbrake is there for a reason.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:45 AM, JGTC said:

I think best practice is pull up to a stop with foot on the brake, pull up the hand brake, release foot off the brake pedal, turn off the car, clutch in (or not, don't think it matters once car is off) put the gearbox in 1st or reverse depending on whether you're facing up/down.

I do this in autos too, foot brake, hand brake, release foot brake, put lever into P.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, The Max said:

I don't see that as a reasonable excuse for not engaging the handbrake, at all.

I hope you're at least turning your wheels in the right direction for your vehicle to veer into the kerb so that it doesn't roll off and damage someone else's vehicle or kill someone.

Pardon my judgmental attitude but part of motoring is thinking responsibly about everyone around you and your heavy steel weapon. We have parking brakes for a reason. They are the primary safety device, not your gearbox.

Everyone here veered straight off what I was trying to ask, I wasn't after a safety lecture. I don't usually leave the car in 1st gear on a hill ffs. 

What I was trying to ask is, if I am on a hill and for whatever reason the gearbox is the reason its being held on the hill (lets say its in a controlled environment, in the middle of mexico, with bubble wrap all around it and cotton wool just in case) it won't let me pull it out of gear (even with the clutch pushed in of course) unless I start the car. 

That is on my V35 with a twin plate, solid center clutch. It's been in the car for over 20,000km and doesn't show any other signs of dragging the clutch. 

My R33, you can hold it on the hill in gear with the gearbox and if you push the clutch in even with the motor off it will let you pull it out of gear, the v35 doesn't do that. 

Is that a symptom of a twin plate clutch, or is there potentially something else wrong - like maybe clutch drag even though I highly doubt that being the issue.