SAU Community

NZ R33 Long Term Build

Plan now is to get it 100% road legal. In NZ we have to get the car certified for the mods. This basically involves a thorough inspection, road drive etc. Technically my car was already certified but it was not done with engine mods (just suspension), so things like the dash, keypad and wastegate will be a dead giveaway… we also have to cert the wheel sizes, so by me just going from 17s to 18s would also trigger a re-cert.

• Like 1

Do they do an emissions test too?

I know if I tried with my car I would need to make it quieter, run smaller wheels, install a 400 cell cat, plumb back the catch can, reinforce the body work for the FMIC piping cut out, etc.

So much harder in NSW, Australia. Other states in Australia are a bit easier.

49 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Do they do an emissions test too?

I know if I tried with my car I would need to make it quieter, run smaller wheels, install a 400 cell cat, plumb back the catch can, reinforce the body work for the FMIC piping cut out, etc.

So much harder in NSW, Australia. Other states in Australia are a bit easier.

No, no emissions test and you only trigger the need for a cat converter if you do an engine swap (hence i dont have one). A catch can is a bit of a grey area at the moment, how i read the legislation i have to, but the cert guy says no, so who am i to argue... I also need to install a driveshaft hoop, which has been made and ready to go on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Duncan said:

There is a driveshaft loop from factory in the middle of the shaft, it also holds the centre bearing to the body.

yeah interested he needs another one? Unless I'm reading this wrong: "I also need to install a driveshaft hoop, which has been made and ready to go on."

15 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

yeah interested he needs another one? Unless I'm reading this wrong: "I also need to install a driveshaft hoop, which has been made and ready to go on."

Yes, any cert because of a power increase triggers it (a manual swap doesn’t).the driveshaft hoop is for each section of driveshaft, as the R33 has 2 pieces it requires 2. However, as @Duncan pointed out, the rear section (if I remember right) already has one with the hanger bearing, so i only need one for the front section.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

interesting rule! 

I recall you guys have another odd one where you can run a screamer pipe, provided it goes all the way to the rear of the car and exits next to the rear muffler.

That used to be true. As long as it vented to atmosphere behind the cabin of the vehicle. I think now that all exhaust gas has to go through a muffler also.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Odd. The standard one is accepted in Australian racing. 

You probably just need flat bar between the floor rather than a "hoop" as the tailshaft is above floor level in the tunnel

Nope, needs to be a hoop. Minimum 5mm steel. I’ll take a pic later. But yes, it is odd

Edited by R3N3
  • Like 1

Whoever is coming up with these rules need to relax the glass BBQ lol.

Sure it's for safety but surely for a car making 320kW that's clearly not needed, especially these cars the rear CVs would snap first before the tailshaft even begins to fatigue.

But rules are rules.

Here are the final dyno reports for each boost setting:

wastegate spring (7psi):

ReneNielsenFAD745Wastegatespringpressure.thumb.jpg.42bcd5fe29581981ae4a9ed83f0f144e.jpg

note that gate pressure sees the boost creep up to 12psi.

12 psi:

ReneNielsenFAD74513psi.thumb.jpg.79d0915980082dfcb697e931e42cb452.jpg

15psi:

ReneNielsenFAD74516psi.thumb.jpg.e2bab653d26135b93d8e54e20ed632db.jpg

20psi:

ReneNielsenFAD74520psi.thumb.jpg.81bfc922492c5e8bc129ba6d1bf942ca.jpg

Went for a quick drive up and down the street after the tow truck dropped the car off and man it is nice. The sound of the turbo, exhaust, intake and BOV is just so nice! The power feels so linear in how its delivered. 

• Like 4

very nice power band you must be super happy, now for a flex fuel setup. Looking at the boost, and power curve, etc. there's enough headroom for near 400kW at the hubs! Power is still climbing, still room for more boost :D 

(don't listen to me, you'll end up making 400kW and then the motor will go bang and you'll have a sads then do something dumb like build a motor and regrets all round)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

very nice power band you must be super happy, now for a flex fuel setup. Looking at the boost, and power curve, etc. there's enough headroom for near 400kW at the hubs! Power is still climbing, still room for more boost :D 

(don't listen to me, you'll end up making 400kW and then the motor will go bang and you'll have a sads then do something dumb like build a motor and regrets all round)

Haha. E85 is not easily accessible here in NZ, as it’s no longer sold at fuel stations (I think nation wide now). However… I have found a supplier who can ship large drums of the BP racing corn juice. I even wired in a connector for a flex sensor in the engine bay. I am just working through the legalities around the storage of the fuel etc.

My limiting factor at the moment for more power will be my clutch. It’s a HD full face organic clutch, which is rated to around 300ish kw and 450Nm torque, which is where I am. I will start to assemble parts for my stage 2 build, which will likely be a RB30, so when it does go bang I have something ready to drop in..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I suppose WMI could be an option!

LOL I can't believe you're already thinking of building a RB30

Haha got to have a contingency plan right??

• Haha 2