SAU Community

NZ R33 Long Term Build

The car is nearly there, still on track to pick up tomorrow. Super happy with how tucked the exhaust is:
IMG_0934.thumb.jpeg.bca4c978da7309493f7fc3ed9a2f43f7.jpeg

It all is higher than the rails.

intercooler piping will be completed today:

IMG_0931.thumb.jpeg.3ba86ba4a2a223e50b1e1ac45bdb1ddc.jpeg

Don’t worry, I will have an airbox. This will be another item that I have taken inspo from @Dose Pipe Sutututu, so will look very similar to his..

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, R3N3 said:

The car is nearly there, still on track to pick up tomorrow. Super happy with how tucked the exhaust is:
IMG_0934.thumb.jpeg.bca4c978da7309493f7fc3ed9a2f43f7.jpeg

It all is higher than the rails.

intercooler piping will be completed today:

IMG_0931.thumb.jpeg.3ba86ba4a2a223e50b1e1ac45bdb1ddc.jpeg

Don’t worry, I will have an airbox. This will be another item that I have taken inspo from @Dose Pipe Sutututu, so will look very similar to his..

But more importantly, is that a Super Turbo in the background?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I don’t think so, but I could be very wrong!

the body lines don’t look the same to me..

Edited by R3N3

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

FYI it’s a 1981 Toyota starlet.

• Like 1

She’s back home now!

a couple of pics of the final product:

IMG_0985.thumb.jpeg.a5b60abd7671a0565b6c8b9270ea4b21.jpeg

IMG_0982.thumb.jpeg.5a8cd90eb0edcc56838c9d7fc15d7a3c.jpeg

I think I’m going to go black for the airbox and scuff up the intercooler pipes and leave them raw.

Tune all go for Wednesday.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

wow... look very OEM+ 

Looking superb!

The airbox cover is real nice, it goes down and seals up against the pipe work too!

Thanks, though I did steel the design from you. I literally gave one of your pics from here to the fabricator…

I have noticed today that the trigger wheel is just touching the sensor, causing a not so nice noise (which made me panic). Anyway, the kit comes with shims, chucked one in and it won’t start… obviously the sensor is now spaced too far from the teeth and can’t pick up a signal for the haltech.

@Dose Pipe Sutututu and/or others with the same trigger kit, is there a setting in the haltech software to adjust the sensitivity, so I can space the sensor out?

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

or, just run it a few minutes, it is self clearencing :devil:

Haha, I have taken the shim out just so I can move the car round…

3 hours ago, R3N3 said:

@Dose Pipe Sutututu and/or others with the same trigger kit, is there a setting in the haltech software to adjust the sensitivity, so I can space the sensor out?

Bring up the scope and/or just look at the trigger voltages and crank the car.

Now see what it's registering at, and adjust your trigger arming voltage table so it's a little below the voltage at crank.

I'll send some screen shots tomorrow when I'm at my desk.

• Like 1

This is what you need to adjust, ideally you want the trigger arming voltage to be a touch lower than the actually voltage read at the cranking RPM.

image.thumb.png.7d0fd177246438b815636b8bdb2681c6.png

I would setup a screen similar to this, and then cranking the car and see what you need to adjust the trigger arming voltage to be at.

image.thumb.png.4a88752f7feec5be435b4075c10983b2.png

This is from a Haltech article

https://support.haltech.com/portal/en/kb/articles/trigger-arming-voltage

image.thumb.png.9d5c4daf68d751ae4d76e7c3ec1d3515.png

10 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

This is what you need to adjust, ideally you want the trigger arming voltage to be a touch lower than the actually voltage read at the cranking RPM.

image.thumb.png.7d0fd177246438b815636b8bdb2681c6.png

I would setup a screen similar to this, and then cranking the car and see what you need to adjust the trigger arming voltage to be at.

image.thumb.png.4a88752f7feec5be435b4075c10983b2.png

This is from a Haltech article

https://support.haltech.com/portal/en/kb/articles/trigger-arming-voltage

image.thumb.png.9d5c4daf68d751ae4d76e7c3ec1d3515.png

Awesome, thanks!

unfortunately I have misplaced the shims between the workshop and home, so I’ll have to just go with as it is for now for the tune tomorrow. I’ll order more shims and adjust the voltages myself.

I did a final once over tonight. I pulled the injectors for an inspection, as I remember one didn’t go in so smoothly (my error). Turns out I bent the tip slightly. I’m not sure this is a major?

IMG_0997.thumb.jpeg.d2cf9c6c7b27effbed5a7ac91c7eeb86.jpeg

no biggie, as I ordered 2 spares when I purchased (I like to have a spare of most things).

Other than that, car is 100% good to go for tomorrow.

I also purchased and installed the gktech bash plate, as I’ve always hated that the underside of the engine was exposed. 

• Like 2

Tuning went well!

Car made 420hp at 19psi at the hubs. Full boost by around 4000rpm.

IMG_1002.thumb.jpeg.a3d382073692cd826290b3eff9f29721.jpeg

Base boost pressure is a nice streetable 10psi with 3 different settings up to 20 (via keypad).

@Dose Pipe Sutututu, the tuner said he barely needed his big fan with the FPG kit, as it could hold it solid at 82deg through the power runs.

• Like 3