SAU Community

Girlfriend refuses to ride in the GTR because of squeaky brakes. Help. R32 GTR.

27 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Oh yeah I just scrolled up and saw the first photo and thought that was it 

Yeah I nearly did the same at one point, I got confused before I posted earlier ha ha ha

OP here.

The pins are now properly installed, cleaned and lubed up. Regarding the picture with the purple calipers. I dont know if i took that picture after i took apart the brakes and put it back just so i can have a picture, but i reinstalled it properly having the pins go through the brake pads. 

I also do have the retaining spring clips. I just took em off for the picture.

Last night, i took everything apart, rubbed the pads on the cement. Installed the proper shims. Lubed up everything, both shims, the pins, the sides of the pads that come in contact with the calipers. Then I put everything back together... STILL Squeels.....

might i add, once i did the other side, i noticed the previous owner/shop installed both pads with the wear indicator on the passenger side... 

What could it be at this point? Would it be the pads? 

Also i noticed that when i was pushing the caliper pistons back to make space for the shims, one caliper was easier to push in than the other. That means the calipers need a rebuild?

Edited by kevboost7

Would now be the time to go with a big brake kit? Anyone have any experience with this? Does it make a difference? My car is making pretty much stock power right now, but after a tune i should be pushing 500hp. Would i need upgraded brakes around that power?

17 minutes ago, kevboost7 said:

OP here.

The pins are now properly installed, cleaned and lubed up. Regarding the picture with the purple calipers. I dont know if i took that picture after i took apart the brakes and put it back just so i can have a picture, but i reinstalled it properly having the pins go through the brake pads. 

I also do have the retaining spring clips. I just took em off for the picture.

Last night, i took everything apart, rubbed the pads on the cement. Installed the proper shims. Lubed up everything, both shims, the pins, the sides of the pads that come in contact with the calipers. Then I put everything back together... STILL Squeels.....

might i add, once i did the other side, i noticed the previous owner/shop installed both pads with the wear indicator on the passenger side... 

What could it be at this point? Would it be the pads? 

Also i noticed that when i was pushing the caliper pistons back to make space for the shims, one caliper was easier to push in than the other. That means the calipers need a rebuild?

I have a feeling you are missing some of the brake hardware. Yes you might have shims and the retaining spring, but there is still more hardware. 

Have a look at the link below. See those clips, without them it could be squeal city. Are your shims genuine? 

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/brake-caliper-shim-hardware-kit-front-r32-z32

How about your rear brakes, do they have all the required shims/hardware?

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/brake-caliper-shim-hardware-kit-rear-r32-r33-z32

Have a look at the parts diagram in each of the links, make sure you have everything. 

Have you bled the brakes? 

1 minute ago, Murray_Calavera said:

I have a feeling you are missing some of the brake hardware. Yes you might have shims and the retaining spring, but there is still more hardware. 

Have a look at the link below. See those clips, without them it could be squeal city. Are your shims genuine? 

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/brake-caliper-shim-hardware-kit-front-r32-z32

How about your rear brakes, do they have all the required shims/hardware?

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/brake-caliper-shim-hardware-kit-rear-r32-r33-z32

Have a look at the parts diagram in each of the links, make sure you have everything. 

Have you bled the brakes? 

image.thumb.png.6a9bf8e973364d637b4b46b0a4b58d00.pngThis is the exxact same kit that i got. Are you referring to these clips i circled in red? I tried to put them in, but with those on, the fitment is so tight i can barely get the pads in and out of the calipers. 

1 minute ago, kevboost7 said:

image.thumb.png.6a9bf8e973364d637b4b46b0a4b58d00.pngThis is the exxact same kit that i got. Are you referring to these clips i circled in red? I tried to put them in, but with those on, the fitment is so tight i can barely get the pads in and out of the calipers. 

So you didn't put the clips in?

A big brake kit looks good but is really never required except for heavy race use. I run standard vspec calipers with good discs and pads in my race/rally car. These cars had reasonable brakes from the factory.

If everything is tight when you load the caliper, you just need to push the pistons back a little. Take the pad from one side of the disc (leave the other one in), then use it to lever between the disc and the piston (carefully!) to get the space you need. If it is really hard to move you have a seized piston and need to rebuild the brakes anyway, it should retract smoothly with moderate pressure

Also, since they are still squealing...get hold of some anti-squeal compound and but it between the back of the pads and the shims, and between each shim. Like this (https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/brakes-parts/permatex-disc-brake-quiet-12-oz/, noting it might cause cancer if you live in California).

Like I said originally, squealing is caused by a high frequency vibration somewhere in the stack between the brake caliper piston and the hub. This stuff tries to flex and stop that happening at those points, but it can still happen where the disc sits on the hub, surface of the disc, surface of the pad etc

Do you know what pads are in there? Swapping to something street friendly and less dusty can help

4 hours ago, kevboost7 said:

I did on 1 side, but didnt bother on the other. The side to side play was so tight. I didnt think it would make a difference. 

If the clips cannot be installed, I'd say the most likely issues are either, incorrect installation or a build up of brake dust which is reducing clearances. 

Brakes, as I've been saying this whole time, squeal when you don't install the required shims (which also includes all of the other brake hardware, clips, springs, etc). 

Look at all of the millions of factory cars driving around and none of them have squealing brakes. Our skylines are no different. Correctly install all of the factory brake shims and hardware and then report back if they are still squealing. 

Just change the pads, the pads are the issue and have always been the issue. Race type pads squeal, that’s just how it is. Might be an idea to machine the discs to take the glazing off them the race pads have given them 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

Just change the pads, the pads are the issue and have always been the issue. Race type pads squeal, that’s just how it is. Might be an idea to machine the discs to take the glazing off them the race pads have given them 

The OP said he is using Hawk HPS pads, this is Hawk's 'High Performance Street' pads which are essentially stock pads.

The optimal temperature for these pads are 37 to 260 degrees. Hardly 'performance' but hey, what do I know about marketing lol. 

It's also possible, with some pad compounds, to bake in little diamond hard sections when they get overheated. This tends to happen on the high spots associated with surface grooves on the rotor. The pad gets squeezed really hard just on the high spots and can get really hot just there. These hard spots can squeal. This is one of the drivers towards the recommendation to scuff the pads down on a suitably abrasive surface to obtain some fresh material.

I fixed squealing pads by pulling them out and rubbing the disk/compound side on concrete (or use a file). Throw them back in and perform bedding-in procedure (this worked on QFM HPX and AR1M). This is assuming you've done/have everything else (shims, grease, etc.).

*edit* what GTSBoy said