SAU Community

R32 gtst's - Amber vs clear side indicators.

I've noticed that R32 gtst's seem to have come with either amber or clear side indicators. Which was the latest revision? I'm looking at buying a rh side replacement and I want to confirm the one availalbe from nissan (26124-01U00) is the amber as that's what I already have and prefer. Thanks. 

Nah. Most GTSt are amber. Typical examples

My R32 GTS-T daily driver. RB20, big turbo, big power, but small budget. |  Driftworks Forum

1992 Nissan R32 Skyline GT-R - Reader Ride

You do see some with the clears. I've never really bothered to work out why they exist. It might be that it's the early GTSts (like '89-90) that had clears. The various adverts for genuine clear indicators say that they only fit GTSt guards, not GTR.

Nissan Skyline R32 GTST -1989 – SKAR

1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-T | Driver Motorsports

Nearly 20 years ago this was something of  a hot topic!

I'd love to know the actual timeframe and models they came on. My 1990 gtst has full amber indicators. Happy to hear most were amber. If that's the case, I'll go ahead and order one and report back. 

Looked into it more, and it seems the 89-9.91 gtst was part# 2612401U00 and 9.91+ was part# 2612408U00. I'm presuming one of those is the full amber vs clear/side amber. 

My 1990 as already mentioned is full amber but I'll go see if there's a part# on the indicator. 

On 8/4/2023 at 11:27 AM, TurboTapin said:

I'd love to know the actual timeframe and models they came on. My 1990 gtst has full amber indicators. Happy to hear most were amber. If that's the case, I'll go ahead and order one and report back. 

where are you ordering brand new GTST indicators from? they are discontinued aren't they? 

23 hours ago, DaymoR32 said:

where are you ordering brand new GTST indicators from? they are discontinued aren't they? 

They are or where but they popped up on Amayama again as available. I regretted not getting one two years ago and didn't want to miss my opportunity now in case it's a fluke. I ordered the later model one. I'll let you know if it's the full amber one, once it arrives. 

1 hour ago, TurboTapin said:

They are or where but they popped up on Amayama again as available. I regretted not getting one two years ago and didn't want to miss my opportunity now in case it's a fluke. I ordered the later model one. I'll let you know if it's the full amber one, once it arrives. 

nice, look forward to the update

Series 1 R32's had clear indicators. Series 2 had amber indicators.

Keep in mind R32 GTRs were designed and released almost a year after the S1 was released, and they came out with amber indicators as they were moulded from a single piece of plastic (to save weight - because racecar). The original plan was to have clear indicators with a tiny bubble in amber for road regulation compliance. Once the GTR look became popular, they made the clear bit amber too in the S2 - albeit still made from 2 pieces of plastic.

A very very common mod was to change the S1 indicators to update the look. Also didn't help that S1 indicators very frequently cracked around the bulb fitting and you ended up with condensation inside.

The designers went back to the original intent of all clear headlights in the R33.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, funkymonkey said:

Series 1 R32's had clear indicators. Series 2 had amber indicators.

Keep in mind R32 GTRs were designed and released almost a year after the S1 was released, and they came out with amber indicators as they were moulded from a single piece of plastic (to save weight - because racecar). The original plan was to have clear indicators with a tiny bubble in amber for road regulation compliance. Once the GTR look became popular, they made the clear bit amber too in the S2 - albeit still made from 2 pieces of plastic.

A very very common mod was to change the S1 indicators to update the look. Also didn't help that S1 indicators very frequently cracked around the bulb fitting and you ended up with condensation inside.

The designers went back to the original intent of all clear headlights in the R33.

Yes that's also my understanding. My S1 had amber indicators but I'm presuming they were swapped out at some point. I went ahead and ordered the S2 indicators. 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:59 PM, DaymoR32 said:

nice, look forward to the update

Amayama just informed me that they're still discontinued. No idea what happened with their system but I remember them going from available to discontinued roughly 2 years ago.

Strange that it reset itself to available again, but it was clearly an error. Aw well, it is what it is. Cheers. 

• Sad 1

Holy sheet.

https://www.jdmgarage.com.au/shop/exterior/lights-and-indicators/indicators/genuine-r32-gtst-drivers-side-indicator/

$200 for a broken one!

pretty sure I’ve got a couple of sets in my garage. Better wrap them in bubble wrap instead of being tossed into a box of random stuff.

On 8/10/2023 at 8:29 PM, funkymonkey said:

Holy sheet.

https://www.jdmgarage.com.au/shop/exterior/lights-and-indicators/indicators/genuine-r32-gtst-drivers-side-indicator/

$200 for a broken one!

pretty sure I’ve got a couple of sets in my garage. Better wrap them in bubble wrap instead of being tossed into a box of random stuff.

yep, they go for silly money now