SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

easy solution would be to vent to atmo the EWG, but its going to be WAY TOO LOUD for my downtown daily-driving.

How often are you cracking gate during downtown daily-driving?

A smaller rear muffler isn't as much of a drop in power as most people think. Gasses have mostly stopped expanding by then and the requirement for flow is less. It will be lower in power but not much and it will also be quieter. I wouldn't use it as a mid muffler!

Off the turbo use a conical reducer to increase the size to 4'' or more. A 5'' can be a little hard to fit but doable. Then use another set of reducers to decrease the size under the firewall. This will also have give more linear power.

In addition an angled rear muffler section will be more linear then one that has an S bend and is mounted straight.

Adding EWG back into mainstream exhaust will mean less overall flow and also introduce turbulence. I.e drop power and increase spool time. Next external WG set up I run im going to try a motorbike Ti muffler, venting externally. It will still be loud, but probably tolerable and might even sound cool/unique. Cracking the gate in day to day driving in traffic, realistically isn't going to happen much. Maybe if you have 4.4's

I would suggest to buy a second hand 4'' cat back. Cut the flange off if its a 3'' and make it add a 4''. Add an additional muffler/resonator, make a dump pipe to suit. Then decide what you want to do with the wastegates

finding an used 4'' is a bit more complicated than 3.5 inch. hence why I was thinking to go 90mm all the way and have the downpipe 100mm ( i never asked my mechanic is thought on going 115mm on the downpipe tho lol!).

so you believe I would be fine with a 90 or actually a 86ish rear muffler ?

I never drove an EWG setup so i dont know if 10-15psi is heard a lot of only a slight psshh can be heard. but obsviouly i can hit 10psi often during shifting :)

How stiff are your gate springs going to be?

The "pssshhh" is BOV noise.

^ yeah just youtube it so you get an idea, should be heaps

You will drop power with a 86mm muffler, maybe as much as 20kw with the turbo your thinking of compared to a 4'' but you will be able to get it much quieter then any (traditional) 4'' even if the majority of your system is 4'' . To give you an idea, you will make atleast another 30kw with a twin 4'' compared to a single 4'', perhaps more but the problem you run into is weight, noise, cost etc. I haven't personally tested a duel 4'' but have seen results on something with only 200kw and its about 12kw at that power level.

The point im making is exhaust size for the first 3'- 4' off the turbo is more critical as it is still expanded (due to heat), after that it starts to cool/contract more and more so size at the rear muffler can be stepped down with less of a power loss.

Looks like your from quebec, you might be best off contacting an agent and buying a used 4'' from Japan auctions.

^ yeah just youtube it so you get an idea, should be heaps

You will drop power with a 86mm muffler, maybe as much as 20kw with the turbo your thinking of compared to a 4'' but you will be able to get it much quieter then any (traditional) 4'' even if the majority of your system is 4'' . To give you an idea, you will make atleast another 30kw with a twin 4'' compared to a single 4'', perhaps more but the problem you run into is weight, noise, cost etc. I haven't personally tested a duel 4'' but have seen results on something with only 200kw and its about 12kw at that power level.

The point im making is exhaust size for the first 3'- 4' off the turbo is more critical as it is still expanded (due to heat), after that it starts to cool/contract more and more so size at the rear muffler can be stepped down with less of a power loss.

Looks like your from quebec, you might be best off contacting an agent and buying a used 4'' from Japan auctions.

yes, I'm from quebec, you said that because of my bad english i suppose ? hihi. But i don't understand what it changes that im from quebec or sydney? can't you buy from yahoo auction in aus? Broker charge A LOT, price + 35% fees + shipping to their container + shipping in canada.. its unreal..

I will def. go with a 100mm downpipe. now I have to decide on my catback. At the end, I'm running a varex that's for sure. either 86mm or the 98mm version. they both seems to cost the same, so price isn't a factor really. But it's easier to find a good muffler/resonator in 90mm than it is in 100mm version lol.

Mechanic said he could fab a 100mm catback for about 800 without muffler/resonator. so I guess if i can find a local 90mm catback for like 300$ with muffler, i will just go with that and save the money for the 86mm varex.

cobraa, please start your own thread.

moderators, this exhaust discussion has nothing to do with the topic.

jeez, your on a powertrip or what lol ?

so matching an exhaust with a fullrace mani + EFR 83/74 1.05 EWG isnt on topic ? IMO, the inlet and outlet of a turbo is a very important part of the turbo itself.

jeez, your on a powertrip or what lol ?

so matching an exhaust with a fullrace mani + EFR 83/74 1.05 EWG isnt on topic ? IMO, the inlet and outlet of a turbo is a very important part of the turbo itself.

Personally I think with a RB26 you should be going for the .92 IWG.

Personally I think with a RB26 you should be going for the .92 IWG.

Here how it happened. I got a good deal on this combo ( saved about 25% off retail). I saw a good deal on the EWG manifold + wastegate locally and while I was browsing ebay, i found a good deal on a brand new EWG 83/74 so i did 1+1.

2) Geoff told me I would be hard-pressed to get more than 630whp with the 0.92. So, I though if my setup is not dialed 100%, iw ould most likely be doing 600whpish ( which, IMO wasn't worth the price asked vs. the performance gain over my -5s.)

I'm getting my head ported + 250 9.15mm camshaft, so it should help with better spool-up. Geoff said he managed to get 13psi at 3400rpm with 3.5 inch catted exhaust and big duration camshaft. so hopefully I could hit the same 1 bar sooner with my mod. :) we'll see !! I'm keen to post result when it happens and share with others. very few efr result on Rbs so I shall post mine.

Here how it happened. I got a good deal on this combo ( saved about 25% off retail). I saw a good deal on the EWG manifold + wastegate locally and while I was browsing ebay, i found a good deal on a brand new EWG 83/74 so i did 1+1.

2) Geoff told me I would be hard-pressed to get more than 630whp with the 0.92. So, I though if my setup is not dialed 100%, iw ould most likely be doing 600whpish ( which, IMO wasn't worth the price asked vs. the performance gain over my -5s.)

I'm getting my head ported + 250 9.15mm camshaft, so it should help with better spool-up. Geoff said he managed to get 13psi at 3400rpm with 3.5 inch catted exhaust and big duration camshaft. so hopefully I could hit the same 1 bar sooner with my mod. :) we'll see !! I'm keen to post result when it happens and share with others. very few efr result on Rbs so I shall post mine.

Fair enough if you are looking for 600+ whp......but obviously it will come at a loss of response.

You are still going for a Full-Race manifold? If not I hope what you are using has dual WGs and not a single one.

Haha, funny that Geoff said it would be 630whp max, that is exactly what mine makes on the .92 (20psi boost at 3400rpm)

Bear in mind that Geoff is running E85, so his numbers are going to be a little irrelevant as he will be able to run a ton more timing than you or I on 98 pump fuel.

Will be interested to see what your results are, what dyno are you getting it tuned on?

It's a shame they don't have the 0.92 in an external gate style housing.

Pretty easy to weld the gate shut and run externals (someone on here has cut it out and done that)

For me it's a shame they don't make a 1.05 internal gate housing.....I like the IWG and how clean the setup is, but the housing is just that little too small for my RB30/26, it's creating a backpressure issue

Edited by Sub Boy32
  • Like 1

Fair enough if you are looking for 600+ whp......but obviously it will come at a loss of response.

You are still going for a Full-Race manifold? If not I hope what you are using has dual WGs and not a single one.

Haha, funny that Geoff said it would be 630whp max, that is exactly what mine makes on the .92 (20psi boost at 3400rpm)

Bear in mind that Geoff is running E85, so his numbers are going to be a little irrelevant as he will be able to run a ton more timing than you or I on 98 pump fuel.

Will be interested to see what your results are, what dyno are you getting it tuned on?

its going on a dynapack 2wd. Tbh, my goal would be 650whp, I would be happy with those figures. and yes my setup id full-race EWG twin scroll manifold + turbosmart 45mm.

its going on a dynapack 2wd. Tbh, my goal would be 650whp, I would be happy with those figures. and yes my setup id full-race EWG twin scroll manifold + turbosmart 45mm.

2wd.....That's cheating! ;)

I'm sure you will 650whp without a problem with a 1.05.

So one 45mm WG?

2wd.....That's cheating! ;)

I'm sure you will 650whp without a problem with a 1.05.

So one 45mm WG?

sorry i didnt answer that but thought it was obvious. full-race mani ONLY makes the EWG version with 2 wastegates so obviously its 2 turbosmart 45mm.

The way I see it: if twin -5s are rated for about 66lbs of air and can make 550-575 on our local 2wd dynapack. I'm pretty sure a 79lbs turbo can make an extra 75whp. My goal is : have -5s response ( or better) with a bit more kick/power to it. I'm pretty sure the 0.92 would be more responsive, but not sure it would really make any more power than a pair of -5s. So I'm just hoping with smaller duration camshaft and cam dialling we will be able to achive what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

^ I kinda agree with that. The 0.92A/R housing would just bee too restrictive for such a high revving 'large' motor.

I am personally going to go a 1.05A/R as well, but have also been considering a 1.45A/R. It would be only slightly laggier but I can run the turbo to the edge with no back pressure issues. My engine is only 2.2L.

I need your opinion: the 83/74 has a outlet OD of 92mm. so technicly the whole exhaust should be 92mm. Thing is, the varex muffler (3.5inch oval) I wish to run has an inlet OD of 86mm. The exhaust line I wish to run is 88-90mm ( pretty common to see these go for sale at bargain used price)

So right now, I already have a restriction of 6mm at the end. (Unless I go for the 4 inch oval which has an inlet of 98mm, but then the bottlenect would be the exhaust piping at 90mm)

Problem is, I will have to plumb back my EWG which are 2x44mm.. What should I do ? or maybe I'm making a big deal for nothing. I dont know how much of a backpressure the EWG will create.

My original idea was to run a 100mm downpipe, no cat, and then use an off-theshelf true 90mm exhaust piping down to a 86mm varex muffler with the EWG plumbed in the downpipe. ( this would cost me about 1500$ and can be pretty quiet)

easy solution would be to vent to atmo the EWG, but its going to be WAY TOO LOUD for my downtown daily-driving. I was told theres some kind of exhaust that we can use for EWG but didn't find any for sale lol.

Other solution would be to run a 100mm exhaust from DP to muffler, but the cost will easily be 2000-2300 and im not sure how quiet 100mm muffler and resonator are..

your input is appreciated :)

I am going to run a 3.5" (or 4" if I can fit it!!) dump pipe, then when I route the wastegate dumptubes into the rest of the exhaust, jump to a 4" for the whole way with a 4" hotdog. For street duties, I think I would like to go a 3.5" axle back system w/ magnaflow muffler and for track just 4" pipe axleback.

Want to get as much flow as I can.