Need Insurance? Want Cheaper Insurance?

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

so i called famous up and they refused to give me insurance because i am not working? im a student so i dont work...is there something i am missing?

well i am looking for part time jobs but refusing me of a quote is abit too much...

So i called Just Cars and they gave me a quote

Premium $1235 p/a

Total excess $2100

Theft excess $2100

Insuring for $10,000 for a Skyline R34 4 door sedan N/A engine no mods.

Should I insure the car for a higher amount?

I had 1 accident and 2 ticket infringement but apparently they don't care.

• 1 month later...

Even when your car comes up for 'renewal of insurance', it still pays to shop around for best value.

A. In other words, an insurance company may often (but not always) assume that through loyalty, you'll renew with that company without question. And then they may bump up the premium compared to another company that'll be prepared to give you a better deal.

B. Another thing that happens is that upon renewal, the sum insured (ie. the value that they put on your car) may go down which it often will. However, a competitor may still be prepared to insure your car for the same value as what it was insure for the previous year. I'm talking about an 'agreed value' policy here - not a 'market value' policy.

• 1 year later...

im 22 and i have my V35 insured with NRMA here is the trick tho

i called and got a quote NRMA came back $5000 and excess $1000 so i refused

i called just cars got a quote for $3000 with excess $800

i then called NRMA and sayd i have CTP with NRMA i am a NRMA member and have a good record and i told them the quote from just cars and asked them to make me a better deal

now im with NRMA on $1400 with a $1000 excess

the guy on the phone told me they usualy match or beter any other quotes

here is a brake down of my curent policy

i get a multi policy discount of $260

65% no claim discount =$3272

and this is full cover for a 22 year old

so in fact the 5000 got decreased to 1400 because no claim discount but the 1st quote i was marked as having no claim but it was only like 10% discounted, makes you wonder who decides how big that % will be

im 22 and i have my V35 insured with NRMA here is the trick tho

i called and got a quote NRMA came back $5000 and excess $1000 so i refused

i called just cars got a quote for $3000 with excess $800

i then called NRMA and sayd i have CTP with NRMA i am a NRMA member and have a good record and i told them the quote from just cars and asked them to make me a better deal

now im with NRMA on $1400 with a $1000 excess

the guy on the phone told me they usualy match or beter any other quotes

here is a brake down of my curent policy

i get a multi policy discount of $260

65% no claim discount =$3272

and this is full cover for a 22 year old

so in fact the 5000 got decreased to 1400 because no claim discount but the 1st quote i was marked as having no claim but it was only like 10% discounted, makes you wonder who decides how big that % will be

...and now your negotiations skills are so much better becuse of this ^^^

You're more savvy now Alex :P

Thx

As some of you know I've had a tough time trying to find insurance after having had my license suspended for speeding and having a small at fault accident. One of the reasons I sold my Skyline was insurance and it's ridiciulous premiums.

The other day I called Famous Insurance and in a matter of minutes got the cheapest quote despite of my bad record. Today I went ahead with the policy and couldn't be happier.

Just to put things in perspective. I've called countless companies and they all either do not insure classic cars or I present too high a risk for them. I'm really sick of dealing with them and answering the same questions over and over again and hearing the same answers. The nearest quote I could find was $1090 with another classic car insurer which required me to get a valuation which costs over $100. Their excess was $500.

Famous on the other hand have offered me a premium of $600 with a basic excess of $200 and have insured me for the purchase amount (not market value like most other insurers wanted to). Following year the premium will drop to under $400 pending my driving record during the year.

Xxxx Xxxx who are meant to be lenient to high risk customers wanted to charge me around $2800 for market value which comes to $5800. Their excess was over $1000. Sure they are lenient but they should advertise the fact that they are also extortional. I had a third party property policy with them until today which cost me $693 with an excess of $1400!

Famous Insurance are an SAU endorsed company who offer our members a 10% discount or alternately will beat most quotes by 10%. Give them a call for a quote. You might be pleasently surprised.

George

Disclaimer: As any intelligent person would know, circumstances detirmine your premiums so what is expensive for me might be cheap in your case. SAU does not guarantee that Famous Insurance will offer you a policy.

• 3 weeks later...
Famous Insurance

No longer insure drivers under the age of 30. I'm 25 and I couldn't get a quote. Shannon's however offered me $1500.

I can confirm... just got a notice in the mail that they will no longer insure me because of a change in under-writer policy.

24y/o w/ 60% ncb. blegh. 1 yr to go and I could've been with shannons... now i think just cars will be the only one.

Insurance is such a scam, it is only worth it if you do like 10k+ of damage or own a $30k car

realy? i sure hope you don't have the misfortune to crash in a new BMW or a Porche without insurance cus that will hurt the pocket big time

or for that matter hit anything else on the road that is expensive, cus if you dont have insurance you are held directly liable for any damage you cause

realy? i sure hope you don't have the misfortune to crash in a new BMW or a Porche without insurance cus that will hurt the pocket big time

or for that matter hit anything else on the road that is expensive, cus if you dont have insurance you are held directly liable for any damage you cause

i meant full comp insurance is a scam

Some time ago I was into american muscle cars and when I sold my daily driver and tried to get my transam insured for the road the company I'd been with for xxyears and with 60% no claim and gold card membership looked at me and said 'computer says no'.

I walked out and have bomb insured ever since. I now drive and am into Skylines and look at getting full insurance from Shannons and the like, but as soon as I say that the car is heavily modified they go all quite and get very negative. For the record I haven't had an accident in 20 years and am way over 25.

I'm still on bomb insurance for my Skyline, 4wd, bike, and they are all modified in some fashion or other.

So I have to agree, full comprehensive insurance is a total rip off.

• 3 months later...

I live in an apartment block which has swipe card access to the underground carpark. I can describe this type of parking as neither a carport nor a garage. It is also not on street parking, or driveway parking.

Famous' policy wording excludes my overnight parking arrangement (which surely is more secure than a "carport").

What's the right thing to do here? Call it a garage and hope for the best?

I live in an apartment block which has swipe card access to the underground carpark. I can describe this type of parking as neither a carport nor a garage. It is also not on street parking, or driveway parking.

Famous' policy wording excludes my overnight parking arrangement (which surely is more secure than a "carport").

What's the right thing to do here? Call it a garage and hope for the best?

No, definitely not. You have a duty of disclosure and common law have to act in utmost good faith. Withholding this information is only going to upset you come claim time.

You should always give your insurer as much information as possible. If they say no, find another one.

No, definitely not. You have a duty of disclosure and common law have to act in utmost good faith. Withholding this information is only going to upset you come claim time.

You should always give your insurer as much information as possible. If they say no, find another one.

Couldn't agree more with you GT-R32 re the duty of disclosure and utmost good faith. It is time though for insurers to recognise this parking arrangement and rate it against the other options.