SAU Community

Whos Buying A Ps3

HR32_GTS-T

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played Motorstorm today (1st time playing a PS3) too bad I wasn't thrilled :P Game was ok, but I was expecting much more from the hype. Oh well ^^

Finally I can say that PS3's are shit. I have played Fight Night round 3 on the xbox 360 and on the PS3 and I can say that the PS3 sux arse, I have played alot of games on the PS3 and finally found a game I could compare between the two consoles and say that overall playability is far better on the xbox 360 and the PS3 takes way tooooo long to load

Finally I can say that PS3's are shit. I have played Fight Night round 3 on the xbox 360 and on the PS3 and I can say that the PS3 sux arse, I have played alot of games on the PS3 and finally found a game I could compare between the two consoles and say that overall playability is far better on the xbox 360 and the PS3 takes way tooooo long to load

really... that’s strange. Professional reviewers online seem to say quite the opposite.

PlayStation 3

CPU speed: 22.4 GHz

Overall CPU performance: 204 gigaflops

Xbox 360

CPU speed: 9.6 GHz

Overall CPU performance: 115.2 gigaflops

:pwned:

Give it a year & they’ll be creating much more amazing results with the new cell processor in the PS3, it's only early days.

really... that’s strange. Professional reviewers online seem to say quite the opposite.

Give us one reputable example? Everyone knows that the ps3 has had a weak launch, with very few games worth buying. Even resistance is average at best. It does nothing new.

It will be great in the future but definetly not now.

PlayStation 3

CPU speed: 22.4 GHz

Overall CPU performance: 204 gigaflops

Xbox 360

CPU speed: 9.6 GHz

Overall CPU performance: 115.2 gigaflops

:(

Give it a year & they’ll be creating much more amazing results with the new cell processor in the PS3, it's only early days.

And where did you get those figures from??? just curious, i must be looking at wrong sites.

yeah those figures are total shit

wtf did you get them from ?

Xbox 360

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

• Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each

• Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total

• VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total

• 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread

• 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance

• 9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

• 500MHz processor

• 10 MB of embedded DRAM

• 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines

• Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance

• 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate

• 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance

• 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory

• 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM

• 700 MHz of DDR

• Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth • 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth

• 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM

• 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance

• 1 teraflop

PS3

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

--1 VMX vector unit per core

--512KB L2 cache

--7 x SPE @3.2GHz

--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy

--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz

--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance

--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines

--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s

VRAM--22.4GB/s

RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)

SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:

2 teraflops

on paper the ps3 has more processor power

but 2 things stand out immedietly:

Multithreading 7 processors effectivily is difficult and makes larger code that is less eficient.anyone remember the sega saturn ? it was effectivily 2x as powerfull as the ps1 , could even do basic 3d shading similar to n64/voodoo 1 1st generation 3d machines . but it was very hard to program efficiently and many publishers just gave up virtually no one used it to its full capabilities and most cross platform games were identical between saturn and ps1.

and

PS3 and 360 have similar memory bandwiths . they will both have a bit of a bottleneck there as time goes on . this will tie the ps3 down a bit more as its raw processing speed is higher but it will struggle to use it all against its memory constraints . going back in time early pentium 4 processors which didnt use ddr memory buses were actually slower than pentium 3s until we got ddr , ddr2 and rambus to lift that bottleneck . even now memory bandwith is paramount and always and issue with all modern processors including these consoles . this will definetly tie the 2 machines together a bit more than processor power suggests. also i like the xbox360 unified memory achitecture . games these days are generally graphics heavy and its a good idea to be flexible in opening up as much resources to graphics as you can . wont be a huge biggie but a good idea.

this is not ps3 bashing , ill be getting one . just dont expect games that are a full generation ahead of the 360 . they will probably end up being better but only slightly . there will be no major quantum leap or anything like that. think ps2 vs xbox . xbox is generally a bit better but lots of games are virtually the same on both platforms. a lot of that is publishers economy of scale too , no point making essentially 2 games when you can make 1

Edited by arkon

And where did you get those figures from??? just curious, i must be looking at wrong sites.
wtf did you get them from ?

Wikipedia & other sites, simple google search. It's the total CPU processing speed.

Oww & don’t give any weak excuses about the new cell CPU being too hard to program for, sure it maybe be difficult in the beginning but anything is when you have to learn something new, with time they’ll master it. Then for the next generation there’ll be something different again, & then they’ll have to adapt & utilise that technology, it’s just the evolution of computers really.

I’ll agree the launch could have been better but I wouldn’t call it weak, GT HD is fair f'ing impressive! looking forward to games 1 year down the road.

I found this pretty interesting on the Cell processor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor

Edited by geno8r

So this is turning into system wars.. Hardware definately doesn't give a console the upper hand.. Lets look at XBOX vs PS2, PS2 sold a whole lot more, and its hardware was pretty inferior compared to the XBOX.

At the moment, there's nothing out, nor will there be in a year or two that will completely use the 360's processors. Games that run on a 2Ghz pc, ran beautifully on a 700Mhz XBOX, and however odd Mhz the PS2 had (300-400). Consoles don't use full operating systems and therefore aren't tied down as much as computers.

Currently the PS3 doesn't have any strong titles on it. And by that I mean titles that define the console. The 360 has a few. And currently it has the upper hand.

To think hardware is what defines a console is foolish. Look at the wii, It's got the hardware of a gameboy and still its innovation and makes it great.

Ps. what's up with the 360 elite... what a waste of money >_>

Yes mate I have had first hand experience, and as for online game play I'd hate to see how long you would have to wait to get a game with it taking so long to load.

Yes mate I have had first hand experience, and as for online game play I'd hate to see how long you would have to wait to get a game with it taking so long to load.

umm?

have you played the R:FOM online? loading time is not long at all...

What do you want from launch title games?

ohh and fanboys are funny LOL!