SAU Community

Rick Kelly Should Have Been Shot Into The Sheets

Roy

Here are GT's lap times from race two. Note how he suddenly 'found' a second a lap from lap 16?

1:45.4673

1:37.7668

1:37.9087

1:36.7994

1:36.8737

1:37.6745

2:16.9915p

1:41.5207

1:36.4804

1:36.5104

1:36.9697

1:37.0371

1:37.4534

1:38.5324

1:38.3199

1:37.4748

1:37.4753

1:38.3509

1:37.5791

1:38.0972

1:38.0625

1:37.8201

1:37.9480

1:38.2138

1:38.3389

1:38.2668 Black flag for blocking

1:38.8429

2:14.0403p

1:44.7444

1:38.4322

1:38.7484

1:39.4443

What I see is 1.38 on the lap Tander got black flagged for going too slow and then 2 laps at 1.38 and 1 lap at 1.39 AFTER his drive through. When it was in his best interests to go as fast as the car could to make up positions for race 3. The 1.38.2668 that he did on the lap he got black flagged was the fastest of the last 8 laps of the race.

Judging by that evidence, they shouldn't have given him the black flag as he was going as fast as the car was cappable of, at that time, in that condition.

:laugh: cheers :)

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From V8Supercar.com.au:

V8 Supercars Championship runner-up Craig Lowndes was handed a consolation prize last night when he won the sport's Barry Sheene Medal for the second year running.

The Ford ace was given the award at a ceremony in Melbourne just hours after V8 stewards dismissed his appeal against the awarding of the 2006 championship to Holden driver Rick Kelly.

Kelly shunted Lowndes from behind in the final round of the season at Philip Island on Sunday, forcing the Ford driver off the track.

Kelly went on to finish the race in 18th place, enough to win the championship, while Lowndes limped home in 29th place.

The Sheene medal, named after the late British motorcycling legend and Supercars commentator, is awarded for outstanding leadership, personality, fan appeal and sportsmanship.

V8 Supercars chairman Tony Cochrane congratulated Lowndes on his achievements.

"Craig more than fits the bill for this award named after one of Australia's greatest motorsport identities," Mr Cochrane said in a statement released by V8 Supercars.

"Craig, like the late Peter Brock who was also a personal mentor of his, is a people's driver. He personifies all what this sport is about - giving back to the fans and the people."

Judging by that evidence, they shouldn't have given him the black flag as he was going as fast as the car was cappable of, at that time, in that condition.

If that's as fast as he could go AND judging by the pace of Lowndes after GT was out of his way, he should have shook his little arse out tha way and let the guys with pace through like so many back-markers do every race!

rubbing isn't racing, its poor driver skill

if you need to rub someone up to get past em, obviously you are the poorer driver..

You know, I can't help thinking you haven't done many races then.

The difference to the old tanks that used to go around the mountain is simple.....the cars today are much much more even.

When you have a gt falcon vs a mini there are plenty of places for either of them to overtake. And just like in GTP if you have the right car for the track (eg evo or v8) you will beat the other regardless of driver skill.

Most countries have moved to highly controlled series to keep the competition closer, and the result is it is much harder to overtake because you can't just put your foot down on the straight and drive past, or brake 30m later and still make the corner.

What I see is 1.38 on the lap Tander got black flagged for going too slow and then 2 laps at 1.38 and 1 lap at 1.39 AFTER his drive through. When it was in his best interests to go as fast as the car could to make up positions for race 3. The 1.38.2668 that he did on the lap he got black flagged was the fastest of the last 8 laps of the race.

:ninja: cheers :P

The point I was making was in relation to the first unsportsmanship flag, not the subsequent black flag.

Not sure about how anyone other than GT himself can establish he was going flat out in the last few laps - it depended on who he was racing (If anyone) with so few laps to go.

You know, I can't help thinking you haven't done many races then.

The difference to the old tanks that used to go around the mountain is simple.....the cars today are much much more even.

When you have a gt falcon vs a mini there are plenty of places for either of them to overtake. And just like in GTP if you have the right car for the track (eg evo or v8) you will beat the other regardless of driver skill.

Most countries have moved to highly controlled series to keep the competition closer, and the result is it is much harder to overtake because you can't just put your foot down on the straight and drive past, or brake 30m later and still make the corner.

Piss off

see here for a prime example of how utterly wrong that statement is

These guys managed to avoid cleaning up one another despite very simular race cars

as i said, its only been the last few years the nudge and shove way of thinking has entered the v8 circus, and its pretty appauling driving, if the guys of a few years ago could avoid one another, despite the very simular cars, how come this lot can't..

heck i watched steven richards get slammed into the wall at waneroo last yr after starting off pole because someone figured they'd do a kelly on him too, it ended his race, and his weekend which looked to be very promising given his pace..

if you can't race with respect for your fellow compeditor, you shouldn't be on the track..

Piss off

charming

see here for a prime example of how utterly wrong that statement is

Your clip does show some great driving, always good to see. However

* the track was wet

* 2 cars had different compound tyres

* they touched at least 3 times during that clip

Do you have any idea how hard you need to hit someone to spin them off, or how it is affected by braking force, turning and even luck?

I'm not suggesting the ute racing should be what all racing categories aim for, but I am 100% behind the stewards allowing close racing and being able to judge things as "racing incidents" where neither driver is at fault.

There is plenty of other racing behaviour that should be looked at before close racing/taps are a problem like:

* coming across on a faster car in a straight line

* not allowing racing room in a corner (pet hate this really stops overtaking)

* A/B/C pillar rules for the above

* more than 1 change of race line / blocking

* curb hopping (disgraceful these days check out bahrain supertaxis)

Yeh Denver. I was watching that footage live on TV. Larry came from nowehere and was on intermediated whilst most other guys went out on slicks...he had a major grip advantage which was shown byt how quickly he cleared out once past the cars he was racing. Good footage though.

If that's as fast as he could go AND judging by the pace of Lowndes after GT was out of his way, he should have shook his little arse out tha way and let the guys with pace through like so many back-markers do every race!

He wasn't a back marker, he wasn't being lapped, they were racing for position. With the progressive grid system that means where he finished in Race 2 he started from that grid positon in Race 3. So he wasn't about to move over and let someone past, that's less points in this race and a lower grid position in the next.

Remember, at that time (Race 2), Tander was competing with Winterbottom for 3rd place in the Championship. I don't blame him for not wanting to give away points, I sure as hell wouldn't.

:/ cheers :laugh:

The kellys and a lot of other young V8 "Superstars" came up thru karting and if anyone has been to a recent kart meeting you will see plenty of the biff and bash going on. Ever since nose cones and sidepods were intoduced into karting, the finesse in driving has completely dissappeared. Check out 7 times world champion recently retired. All Kelly R did was emulate Schumacher. Nuff said!

Edited by Muz

But io dont think it was intentional . I wouldrespect him more if he meant it...but he stuffed and someone else had to live with the consequences of his mistake

I do think it was premeditated if his comments as quoted in todays news are anything to go by. I have zero respect for him!

Isn't it a shame that he will never win the Barry Sheene Award for to win that award you have to exhibit "SPORTSMANSHIP".

I gotta tell you guy's I'm SHOCKED to know so many of you watch one of my favourite classes of racing,,,that and Sports Sedans. If I'd have known I would have posted all the gossip from the year.

Lets please deal with the facts though.

Did anybody notice how CL had lost his nerve over the last few rounds,,,lets just say he had personal reasons.

Courtney turned around by JB. That won't be the last time someone does that. Lots of pay backs in this Big $ game and someone else will be singled out next year. Russell couldn't set up a car if his life depended on it, but thats another story.

Mr Tander,,,sorry SK but he got what he deserved.

Skaifey,,,you deserved the same,,,and your bloody lucky Frosty didn't sort you out better.

Craig,,,What happened to your brain,,,you let the red boys rattle you. You should have got a drive through for wacking GT twice after he got his black flag.

Prick Kelly,,,I hate you, you little shit, but a wack up the bum also got what It deserved and now you have the title. Pit walks take on a new meaning now. Get used to the abuse.

SK, Jim said to say Hello and sorry but he agrees with everything I've posted. I was going to be really nasty towards Garth but I realise he's your mate and thats not nice.

Next year I'll post up a good gossip column.

Oh and to the Gentleman that thinks rubbins not on,,,you sir have a very short memory. 1990 ATCC,,,Longhurst turns JB around. Brock turns JB around and then a C/dore wacks PB and puts him on his roof. Um thats 16 years ago bud.

Neil.

Frosty couldnt sort his clean underwear from his dirty ;)

ROFLMAO,,, Yea but he sorted out Skaifey's. "What you only brought brown ones,,,oh no thats shit all over them".

I didnt see the first race...what happened between him and Skaife.

I have to say whilst i know you have a lot of time for Frosty and he has some good wraps...i was always a bit skeptical because his good results were always when he had great equipment (may not be the case but when im payign attention it has been the case)

But after looking at how he has performed with FPR alongside Bright, a driver i rate very highly...well he sure as shit deserves the results that Kelly doesnt ;)

Skaifey tryed to block Mark but he got it a little wrong and Mark stuck his nose in and gave him a little wack,,,like no you are not doing that to me I'm comin though buddy.

Sorry yes I'm like SK,,,bias but towards Frosty. I work with his old man and know all the stories. None of this would ever have happened if Brighty didn't buzz the engine at bathurst will they were leading. Frosty would now be the Champ,,,,,, well maybe.

Neil.

the one who really fycked it all for craig was the bloke that T-boned him (it was courtney wasnt it?). Had he not been t-boned he would have rejoined the race, RKelly would have been black flagged and craig would have won the championship. But there are plenty of other races this year where things cost craig more points than this one, its just that this one came in the last race so it's easy to focus on. The real criminal in this whole thing was the points system. Rkelly was the only one smart enough to pocket any pride and start racing for 5th place instead of racing hard to win like most of the drivers.

and Neil, what do you mean about CL loosing his nerve the last few rounds for personal reasons? if you've got the dirt, dish it!