SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

As I've searched many a time on SAU I've found no concrete answer for this:

Bear in mind, asking on behalf of someone else.

Can NSW/ACT Registered cars, Registered at a NSW/ACT Location be EPA'ed in Victoria under Victorian rules if the car is deemed OK in its original state? Anyone know this yet? I'd call the EPA but its not my car and I'm lazy :P

Yep, appears noone really knows for sure.. some say "you cant do this as the car isnt registered here" and some say "you obey the laws on the road you're driving on" both of which seem equally 'logical' to me.

Basically has a good ol single mount GTR from ACT and practically died inside when I told him he needs to go twins, go -5's, and go into hiding. Still in that denial phase I guess :P

As I've searched many a time on SAU I've found no concrete answer for this:

Bear in mind, asking on behalf of someone else.

Can NSW/ACT Registered cars, Registered at a NSW/ACT Location be EPA'ed in Victoria under Victorian rules if the car is deemed OK in its original state? Anyone know this yet? I'd call the EPA but its not my car and I'm lazy :P

I got pulled over by hwy patrol when I still had nsw reg the cop got out checked my license and got back in car and drove off so he ether was lazy/nice/couldn't defect me

Still nothing concrete but yeah...Aaron on here swears that you can't get done in Vic but who knows hahaha

I got pulled over by hwy patrol when I still had nsw reg the cop got out checked my license and got back in car and drove off so he ether was lazy/nice/couldn't defect me

Still nothing concrete but yeah...Aaron on here swears that you can't get done in Vic but who knows hahaha

Because you can't, I have asked a hwy patrol officer. He said they can only EPA, but as there are different regulations(rwc wise) in different states, and they havnt received the relevant training for another district, they cannot defect you. From a hwy patrol officers mouth.

To add, Vic roads aren't the same as the nsw roads or whatever they call it.

If your driving on Victorian roads I can only assume you have to comply with Victorian laws so I gues they could defect you but couldn't enforce it if you Fk off back over the boarder? Thus why would they bother

Can get defected in another state, but once you are back in victoria you can take it off and not worry about it. Had a mate get a defect in SA. Just came back and ripped it off and never heard about it again.

Worse thing that could happen i guess if the cop wants to be a wanker is deem your car as too unsafe and ground it so you cant drive it then and there. Would be a bit of trouble if you're in another state :|

Correct me if I am wrong as the rules may have changed since I looked into this:

You can pay for a full emissions test (up to $5K or more?) to prove your emissions are less than or equal to factory with your modifications. If the Engineer is OK with this, they will sign off and you can run the mods to the car.

I think the Clubman guys who want to fit a custom motor or a motor that hasn't been complianced have to perform this task. Most of the time it's just easier (and cheaper) to run a factory setup motor because then you don't have to run the abundance of tests.

Correct me if I am wrong as the rules may have changed since I looked into this:

You can pay for a full emissions test (up to $5K or more?) to prove your emissions are less than or equal to factory with your modifications. If the Engineer is OK with this, they will sign off and you can run the mods to the car.

I think the Clubman guys who want to fit a custom motor or a motor that hasn't been complianced have to perform this task. Most of the time it's just easier (and cheaper) to run a factory setup motor because then you don't have to run the abundance of tests.

I think you would struggle to get an engineer to pass anything other than a motor with all factory ecu and epa crap as there is no guaranteed way of locking a programmable ecu to make sure you wont play with it again, and if you go an after market ecu and have upped the power then you run into other problems with brakes if you have too much power, and if you do get all of that engineered it wont stop a cop from giving you a full epa notice as its just a notice to get your car checked because they think it "might be illegal".

I think you would struggle to get an engineer to pass anything other than a motor with all factory ecu and epa crap as there is no guaranteed way of locking a programmable ecu to make sure you wont play with it again, and if you go an after market ecu and have upped the power then you run into other problems with brakes if you have too much power, and if you do get all of that engineered it wont stop a cop from giving you a full epa notice as its just a notice to get your car checked because they think it "might be illegal".

Agree.

Doesn't stop you though.

Admittedly my Datto 1600 (pre 1974 ADR emissions) I'm allowed to run pretty much anything as long as it's signed off and below the carbon monoxide emissions for a car of that era.

Brakes have been uprated etc. etc. 100% legal.

As Ash said though, for modern stuff you have to go through the ADR EPA test (pre 1974 you don't) and it's just not worth it.

My friend bought a turbo Pulsar from NSW a few years ago and drove it back to VIC. A few days later he got a defect with a huge list, EPA, a fine and points for driving an over powered vehicle on P plates (back when you were allowed a turbo on P plates under the power to weight ratio). Felt bad for him because he sold the car after owning it for about 2 weeks.

I'm sure we can guess which cops it was.

Guys u can run bigger turbos ecu's etc etc, if your running straight pump E85 fuel and have a full engineers report u car will meet all adr epa standards, because emissions on e85 run lower and cleaner than any other pump fuel ask an engineer he will tell you