SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news, seems a cop reported me while I was driving home from work and I got a letter in the mail today from EPA saying I need to go in for a noise test. Just a couple of questions..

- Where can I buy or borrow a stock exhaust in melbourne to pass the test?

- Do I need to worry about removing my Apexi FC and EBC as well?

so they won't even pop the bonnet? I can go in with the aftermarket ecu and ebc and they won't bother to check?

No mate they don't care about anything else, just noise. It's normally at one of the exhaust shops on the list they provide.

Hi guys, really need some advice please. I tried searching but wasn't particularly enlightening.

My 2001 S2 R34 GTR just got defected for the first time (major), with mods done by the previous owner:

- Headlamps: to be returned back to standard.

I am pretty sure they are the standard Xenon HID Phillips D2R bulbs, but the cop didn't agree with me, saying HIDs didn't exist in 2001 so couldn't be stock??? Are the standard HIDs defectable? What's the quickest way to get my globes back to "standard" or "compliant" to pass RWC?

- One intake mod allowed: intercooler/ air filter non standard.

I have apexi pod filters, and what I thought was the standard FMIC in the standard position. Please see photo. It has no aftermarket logos on it, etc. The cop said it was aftermarket, or had been relocated more forward, which was odd, as I have no idea why they would do that. In any case, I might have to change the pod filters back to the standard airbox and just leave the intercooler be. Does that mean I have to retune powerfc? Will I notice much difference in driving?

Can anyone recommend a quick and cheap place for RWC in city or Western suburbs? One place I called wanted $200 for the RWC inspection only!!!

Thanks heap!

3ohT9.jpgeIMe5.jpg

I believe the gtr hids aren't legal cos not autolevelling or fitted with washer something like that iirc but I'd try taken it in and see what tester says

$200 for inspection only is about the going rate as the mechanics have to do more work now they say good luck! Could try talking to Dom at holford motors he might have some solutions as he does compliance work etc or used too

Edited by alr33x

Ok found some info from Adz from a post 2 years ago (not sure why I can't quote it) on HIDs:

"This has been done to death but for the record...

R34's are required by law and SEVS compliance to have the HID globe and ballast removed from the car during compliance. They are to be fitted with standard Halogen globes.

Modern cards with HID's like my Audi have a number of added features that the R34's do not including auto levelling lights and washers. This avoid the dazzle effect over peaks and during rain. I'm not saying this helps, it's just a bullshit ADR and must be complied with.

Personally I used to drive an R34 which was imported personally during the switch from RAWS compliance to SEVS. Seeing the car sat in my garage uncomplied while Crossover gained certification I had the chance to pull the Xenon headlight assemblies out and put in R34 4 door Halogen assemblies. I put them back in after compliance seeing the ballast for the HID's plugs into the same loom as the Halogens (from memory). So there are cars around like mine that still have them and probably lots of cars from the early RAWS days.

I also got pulled over in Knox for my lights and other things. Pettet told me I was pulled over because my "lights looked too blue" even with stock globes. I never pulled them out and I also went to McCloud for EPA and Vicroads. Both places did not even look at them, know or care.

Lights are not an EPA concern, they are however a roadworthy item. I got a road worthy no problems with my lights in.

So, at the end of the day they are 100% illegal under Australian law and SEVS compliance, whether anyone but the cops care is anyone's guess but in my experience. No."

So what is the best way to change the xenon hid globes to halogen ones? Apparently you can't just replace them right?

hids are easy to take off depends which ones that are really some need re-wiring some clip into the stock plugs/lights. buy some stock globes from subercheap and install.

How did you get a major? I thought major was more then 3 things wrong?

BTW wtf were you doing driving through knox in a gtr lol, you could'nt pay me to drive through there in any import.

That is an old school rule (if it ever was a rule or just how they did it back then), can get a major for 1 item now, but i got a defect with 3 items and he only gave me a minor, depends on the cop i guess.

Edited by W0rp3D

That is an old school rule (if it ever was a rule or just how they did it back then), can get a major for 1 item now, but i got a defect with 3 items and he only gave me a minor, depends on the cop i guess.

Depends on cop, i got done for too low with full car load normaly car is legal height, HID lights explained to him it was factory didn't buy it, exhurst too loud so thats 3 items not sure why he didn't say anything about my poking wheels but meh

only gave minor but with 2 fines, cleared it easy just put on stock exhurst and stock globes then swaped it back over

Edited by Johnie

How did you get a major? I thought major was more then 3 things wrong?

BTW wtf were you doing driving through knox in a gtr lol, you could'nt pay me to drive through there in any import.

It was a major because it was these two things, plus my rear licence plate globe needed replacing. Friggen BS, as I've since found out that my intercooler is stock - he just didn't know what he was talking about. So the only thing he got me for was the headlights (which are actually standard) and a licence plate light globe. I have deliberately kept my ride looking stock as a rock from outside, with no suspension, wheel or bodywork mods, as does the engine bay. So I'm pretty p'd off this happened :(

I wasn't driving in Knox. Was driving back along the beach in Williamstown - was a highway patrol car from the local police station.

cleared it easy just put on stock exhurst and stock globes then swaped it back over

Could you please explain how putting the stock globes let you pass? Or is it that some non-R 34s have halogen standard lights?

I've heard you can't just slot the halogens into the HID lights as they won't work??