SAU Community

Transmission Lubricants

Sydneykid

I'm about to drop some Smooth shift 75w-90 semi-syn in (r33 gtr box) Will let you know how it goes Also got Some Gulf Western LS90 for the front and rear diffs (its friction modified, and i read conflicting things about needing lsd oil for the stock vlsd but friction modified can be run in non lsd diffs apparently so i'm not worried)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look and because the VLSD units are sealed, you don't really need the friction modifiers

But nissan still recommends a different oil for the lsd compared to the front diffs (33gtr etc which are open)

I had Gulf Western LS90 put in the front and rear diff, seems fine

Anyone have some tips to get slightly rounded filler bolts out of the gearbox? The mechanic couldn't get it undone and didn't want to push it too far, he recommended going to a gearbox place :wacko:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i have a non turbo R34 GT-X 4WD, ive just hit 100,000 k's so im about to do a major service,

will Castrol Transmax Z be fine for my gearbox?

and Castrol SAF-XA for my diffs?

any anyone have an idea of how much oil i need for the 1 gearbox and 2 diffs?

thanks

• 4 months later...

hi guys just wanna get this off my mind i'm using penrite smoothe shift 75w-90 it says its gl-5 but can use where gl-4 oil is use iv heard gl-5 isn't good for these boxed is that right ?

i hope its ok because it shifts nice and the gearbox goes better

theres a link to what im useing http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=4&id_products=380

I think the redline lightweight is for gearbox's but the heavyweight is for diff's. My mate runs heavyweight in his standard R200 VLSD and has zero issues with it *shrugs*

I use heavyweight for diffs and gearbox. Gearbox is smoother and quieter. Only issues is 4th to 5th at high rpm. If I rush it it crunches a bit. The diffs I find are more efficient when warmed up...when cold they lock up a bit.

I just put royal purple max gear 75-90 in front diff and 80-140 in rear diff

Mad them quieter :)

Gonna dump my redline gearbox oil and put in royal purple maxgear 75-90

I use heavyweight for diffs and gearbox. Gearbox is smoother and quieter. Only issues is 4th to 5th at high rpm. If I rush it it crunches a bit. The diffs I find are more efficient when warmed up...when cold they lock up a bit.

I have the exact same problem with my box but I run the lightweight. RB25DET Neo box with unknown KM's. I just shift it nice and smooth into 5th

I have the exact same problem with my box but I run the lightweight. RB25DET Neo box with unknown KM's. I just shift it nice and smooth into 5th

Yeah don't know why, maybe too thick for the synchro. Is it because the 4th to 5th synchro can't engage quick enough because of the oil because they were perfect before?

Might try to drain half and put some lightweight in and see if it makes a difference. The rest of the gears are perfect though and the box is nice and quiet.

• 3 weeks later...

Smurf's blood? Can't mix those nor dump them properly, apparently.

Do you mean I won't be able to get all the redline oil out ?

Why can't these be mixed hmmmm

Do you mean I won't be able to get all the redline oil out ?

Why can't these be mixed hmmmm

Maybe because of how well it sticks to stuff.

I had a patch of lightweight shockproof stick to my chassis rail for about 8 months before it finally wore off.

Having said that, right now I am running a mix of 75% MT90 / 25% lightweight shockproof in my gearbox without any issues.

I'm going to use Amsoil next time so will update with any problems (if any) from mixing.

hi guys

thinking of changing my Front diff, transmission, transfer case , rear diff , ATTESA for my r34 gtr vspec

what do u guys recommend and how many litre's do i need each?

front diff and rear diff- Castrol SAF-XA ?

transmission - toyota v160 2litres ?

transfer case - castrol transmaz Z or nissan automatic type d ?

attesa - ?

just want to confirm with you guys if i have the right oils and how much i need before i do it

thanks guys