SAU Community

Are Hks Really Using Garret Parts?

I'm trying to figure what exactly goes on with these two company's in regards to the production of there turbo parts. Several people have told me garret make the parts for hks, while others have said HKS parts are different. Can someone shed some light on the topic?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

? Yes HKS are tweaked Garret products. HKS make some of their own comp wheels and specify reground housings. Cores are the same I believe.

Trust - IHI

Blitz - KKK

Sure disco can enlighten u with more details, depending on what your actually looking for...

? Yes HKS are tweaked Garret products. HKS make some of their own comp wheels and specify reground housings. Cores are the same I believe.

Trust - IHI

Blitz - KKK

Sure disco can enlighten u with more details, depending on what your actually looking for...

Yes that is exactly right.

Garret build, test, and supply exclusively to HKS, special custom parts that Garrett cannot legally supply to anyone else. No doubt Garrett and HKS have a watertight legally binding contract.

Why not?

HKS paid for all the development costs of designing unique parts. Garret will definitely not sell them to you direct.

They don't make their own comp wheels. They have a few odd ball trims of the standard garrett wheels which are under license for a few years but still supplied by garrett. They have their own custom housings for some models.

There are certain combinations of wheels that they have license on (t2 flanged gtrs/52t 2871 is prime example). But that expired a few years back and the generic garrett models flooded the market.

Trust - IHI

Blitz - KKK

yeah most jap companies source core turbos then modify to suit many are not available via other sources like garret and the garret 'equiv' wont perform as well (some are the same). examples of such are the 3037s and some of the 2835 range and the big bangers (i know as i did back to back with customers cars on the 3037s and 2835 particulars)

HKS use garret cores and fit their own housing to many which are NOT available via garret.

BLITZ uses KKK cores and housing but fits Turbonetics wheels to the core and machines the comp and exh housing to suit. Hence the reason they are so dear.. they are in effect using one and a half turbos to make one..

TRUST/ GREDDY again purchase mitsubishi cores and fit thier own wheels and housings and actually do quite a lot of funky machining just like BLITZ.

Usually they garrett turbo's, smash a hks stamp/badge on it and change rear housing or wheel I believe?

http://forum.teamfc3s.org/archive/index.php/t-34674.html

here are some comments about it though..

another thing to bare in mind is that HKS do not offer parts for rebuilding their turbo's - so if you need to rebuild an HKS, it will be done with standard garrett parts - and wouldnt essentially be a HKS turbo once rebuilt.

hks turbos are only 11% different to a normal garrett they use a different material for there exhaust wheel but cast the same as garrett there comp wheel has an extra blade and the stamp hks on the comp and exh housing they arent that differn

a product only has to be 10% different to market as there own

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=104066

As everyone has said above. Plus I believe the HKS units have an Iconel Exhaust wheel (aparently has a better tolerance to heat and is lighter than the steel wheels in the Garretts)

Yes , Garrett cartridge (centre section and wheels) and either a variation of Garrett housings or custom ones if there is nothing to suit model specific applications .

Occasionally HKS spec Garrett cartridges use smaller trim versions of a specific Garrett compressor family where Garrett marketed turbos generally only offer the largest of 3 compressor trim options . A good example is the GT3076R/GT3037 cartridge , HKS have used 48/52/56T versions of that compressor where the Garrett marketed version only uses the 56T one .

Another is the GT3071R/GT2835 series , HKS have used 48/52/56T versions , Garrett only market the 56T version .

HKS are big on making turbine (exhaust) housings in variations that Garrett didn't , one good example is the T3 flanged GT28 BB housing to suit 2530's and GT-RS's on RB20/25 . Garrett only ever made GT28 BB housings with the smaller T28 mounting flange .

HKS also sometimes use port shrouded compressor housings on turbos aimed at six cylinder engines to prevent compressor surge . Examples of this are RB20/25 specific GT2530 , GT-RS and the two Pro S turbos .

You could say that Garrett market generic turbos where HKS market trim and housing optimized turbos of the same or similar family and this is why they often give better overall results . Basically someones ironed the bugs out so you can buy/bolt and get a given result .

Cheers A .

Usually they garrett turbo's, smash a hks stamp/badge on it and change rear housing or wheel I believe?

http://forum.teamfc3s.org/archive/index.php/t-34674.html

here are some comments about it though..

another thing to bare in mind is that HKS do not offer parts for rebuilding their turbo's - so if you need to rebuild an HKS, it will be done with standard garrett parts - and wouldnt essentially be a HKS turbo once rebuilt.

hks turbos are only 11% different to a normal garrett they use a different material for there exhaust wheel but cast the same as garrett there comp wheel has an extra blade and the stamp hks on the comp and exh housing they arent that differn

a product only has to be 10% different to market as there own

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=104066

thrust me they are not just a different badge.... ns.com is good for nothing..... posers with no idea.

so is it worth paying the extra money for the hks over the garrett??

$6 million dollar question.........

The attraction of HKS is they often [not always] offer packages. That is turbo, dump, oil/water hoses and fittings, bolt up nothing else required. Experience tells you that there will always be something they don't have in a kit, but essentially its a simple install. HKS are much dearer initially because they are a kit, and they are HKS.

Garrett turbo's are just that........a turbo in a box. You can then set about organising your own [usually custom or second hand] dump/front, intake, and oil and water lines. Garrett are very cheap [for what you get] initially, but end up costing nearly as much and take a bit longer to install as you make things on the fly. They are much more expensive if you get someone else to do the work.

I went with the garrett, but sometimes during the install wished I'd bought a HKS [when I was waiting on a part or something wouldn't work right].

HKS are generally thought to have slightly better performance figures, but it's hard to actually prove.

Trust - IHI

Blitz - KKK

Trust/Greddy = Mitsi

Blitz = KKK

HKS = Garrett

Apexi = IHI

They all do things to help the turbo sold suit their application a bit more than buying something directly from the non-aftermarket manufacturer.

HKS (as said a few times) offer some wheel combinations you wouldn't get when buying a Garrett "equivalent", and use a different ball bearing cage to what the Garrett units do - Garrett use a "plastic" cage which can fail, especially with insufficient cooling hence you NEED water cooling with Garrett turbos. I believe HKS use something a bit more resiliant?! Could be wrong though. Just the little things, though the only thing that'd have swung me to getting an HKS GT3037 instead of a Garrett GT3076R would have been ease of install if the price had been more comparable at the time.

HKS products (and trust etc for that matter) and tweaked, developed and TESTED on their intended specific application. so they test your RB25 GTRS kit on an RB25. the garret equivelant would never have been tested by garret on your particular model (no way could they test their wide catalouge of turbos on so many different car/engine combos). companies like HKS only sell turbos to suit specific applications and only for a small selection of cars really, so you get a product that is tested to get the best result out of your model of car. buying the generic garret gear and you are the one doing the testing. though at least now many people have tried many generic garrett parts on skylines so there is some experience out ther to draw from. but in my experience the 'brand name' japanese turbos do outperform the generic options in a few areas like fitment, spool-up, outright power and in the parts you get with the turbo that make life easy.

Not being a mechanic, I installed the HKS 3037 pro s kit myself and everything fit really really well. I'm very glad I paid the extra went the 3037 kit over 3076r. Because i did the install myself with the kit I probably saved money doing it my way instead of buying the garrett turbo and giving it to a mechanic/fabricator to make up the oil and water lines, intake and exhaust.

From start to finish I did the project in one weekend. I have heard of people doing it in under 10 hours with the HKS kit. It's a great feeling when that big of a job is completed and you get the results.

The only problem with the HKS/Blitz/Trust etc is sourcing one without an internal wastegate. You can get them, or change the exhaust housing etc but they aren't as common or as easy to come by as the Garrett equivalent. The HKS pro series was external [and I think they are now deleted], but the Pro s series is all internal.

I was originally going to go with a 2835 pro s until I read somewhere that the HKS cast low mount manifold had the best flow figures......that just started me off on a whole new tangent.

Now someone tell me different [cos I'm probably wrong here].