SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Running an old Wolf V4 that struggles a bit to get the tune refined.

Using 550cc RX7 injectors now but will run 910 siemens injectors if I switch to E85.

Obviously the bigger injectors will struggle more to find a good tune, but has anyone here tried tuning big injectors on a fairly old school ecu with E85? is it a harder fuel to tune or will it be easier due to the fact that it requires more fuel for the same power levels?

Will injector quality help this?

Don't wanna build a big fuel system with the works, get it to the dyno and find the ECU is just struggling overtime.

I don't think you would have an issue if you went with Bosch ev14's, not sure about the Siemens.

I recommend the Xspurt 1000's for e85 use, even ID's have apparently had issues with e85 coagulating to jelly, I suspect after mixing with the flow test fluid they use, and warranty returns to the US can be pointless. Guys, make sure you run ID's on petrol first.

I don't think you would have an issue if you went with Bosch ev14's, not sure about the Siemens.

I recommend the Xspurt 1000's for e85 use, even ID's have apparently had issues with e85 coagulating to jelly, I suspect after mixing with the flow test fluid they use, and warranty returns to the US can be pointless. Guys, make sure you run ID's on petrol first.

yes but NOW they have a released an injector that is alcohol friendly.. :rolleyes:

you notice how it is exactly 30% bigger than there old ones :rofl:

ID725, 850, 1000 compatible with all known fuels. Compatible does not mean they aren't susceptible to problems caused by ethanol's love for gobbling up water, IF you abuse the injectors by letting ethanol sit in your tank for months they will die, this is common sense. ID1300 being stainless internals will have better resistance to corrosion IF there is water in the fuel. This is more likely in a race car that sees no action between meetings, with the older IDs you should pickle the engine by running it on petrol but with the ID1300 this is less important. In a road car seeing regular use I'm not seeing a massive advantage for the 1300's, heaps of people running 1000's + E85 without failures.

Yes I think the same of the stainless 1300s and if demand is there they may do the short 850 GMs and 1000s as well .

I can see where 1000s could be limiting on a 4 cylinder but 6s get an easier time with similar power outputs .

It's logical that a good injector sized properly will make the best of a more basic computer .

A .

Yeah would be nice, I ummed and aaahhed about the 1300's but they are quite a bit more expensive and at low pulsewidths they have a bit of ugly non-linearity. Totally doesn't matter for race cars, but I tend to think for road cars they might not be quite as well mannered as the regular offerings. I just ordered a set of short ID850-GM for my car so it fits under the inlet manifold more easily. Since my power goal is only around 250rwkw and it's a daily, 850cc is plenty. I'm not sure how frequently I'll run ethanol, it comes down to cost. I would like to run it regularly but time will tell.

Stao is making over 400rwkw using 800cc injectors and E85. That's plenty :P I couldn't afford new tyres at the rate 400rwkw would blow through them!

Definitely keen on running E85.. :) should be fun. I wouldn't run 91 octane in a fit, I guess what I said came across as cheap.. if I can get a good E85 tune then I will probably run it more.

Already posted in the hypergear thread and they said just go for it.

But I was wondering if anyone here knows how much power on E85 HKS 555 injectors could make.

Been running them in on my 98 tune for the past year making 250rwkw.

Thinking about going E85 but don't want to fork out for new injectors again.

hey guys after some information. my engine is over boosting like mad trying to tune on e85.. anything that comes to mind that could cause this other than the turbo?

But I was wondering if anyone here knows how much power on E85 HKS 555 injectors could make.

E85 uses approx 30% more fuel than PULP. If you can multiply your current tune's duty cycle by 1.30 then you will get your new duty cycle (near enough), as long as that's less than 85% you're good to go.

A mate has an R33 with Nismo 555's and is making 240rwkw at about 45% duty. So there is heaps of headroom to run E85 on the same setup.

I keep telling people to go the 1000's but they insist on buying 5-600's, then complain when they max out. Just buy them and sell the 555's to some other sucker. :P

That adds extra money to my plans scotty :(

I'm not made of money dude!
Can you move to Canberra so I can have you do all my welding etc

Clutch will max out at 300 anyways.

So only wanted to get about 280-285

My gearbox has been out 3 times already so I'm not too keen to go down the slippery slope of upgrade after upgrade

Haha okay you talked me into it scotty!! fark!
I'm crashing at your place if I get kicked out for not paying rent.

Also now you have to help me with what highflowing E85 injectors I should be getting to fit in my stock rail.

Don't go telling me to purchase a new rail as well haha