SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Better, e85 is cheap torque gains also, which are even harder to come by. On it's own the best mod you can do on a turbo car, if you can live with less K's to a tank, and have a pump locally.

The GCG is a bit of a mismatch turbo, mainly due to being stuffed into the stock housings. Best bet is to pick up a proper Garrett GT3076 and sell the GCG off, but then you need a new dump, intake, lines, external gate perhaps... the list can go on forever. Do some research before you jump in, as jumping up in power again from there may force you to replace all those parts again.

• 1 month later...

Should i be a bit worried about using Caltex E85 when it was tuned on United E85?

It did have about 8 dollars worth of 98 in the tank when i filled it up with E85 before the tune though.

I run eflex occasionally on long runs, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I think it's only around 4% richer than United I worked out. Still more accurate than a carby. ;)

It also means the mixture will be rich as a result of increased petrol content, which will compensate for lower octane.

When has richness ever compensated for lower octane? I know what you are saying in terms of it being a tad safer because its richer but that statement itself is wrong...

When has richness ever compensated for lower octane? I know what you are saying in terms of it being a tad safer because its richer but that statement itself is wrong...

This topic has been brought up many times, discussed thoroughly, and concluded by enough people who know SIGNIFICANTLY more than I do on the subject that it will make sweet f**k all difference when it comes to any risks brought on from ethanol content change and subsequent RON change.

Just wondering what spark plugs heat range you guys are running?

I have my S14 SR running on E85 making 280rwkw on E85 and are playing around with plug choice.

some say run a cooler heat range some say run the standard 6 heat range?

I have tried going from 6 to 7 and even colder plug in 8's.

What are the yays and nays of these different temp range? Apart from the starting up difficulty with the colder plug what else is to be considered?

This topic has been brought up many times, discussed thoroughly, and concluded by enough people who know SIGNIFICANTLY more than I do on the subject that it will make sweet f**k all difference when it comes to any risks brought on from ethanol content change and subsequent RON change.

Yep, here's a paper that backs up what you're saying.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdspace.mit.edu%2Fbitstream%2Fhandle%2F1721.1%2F69496%2F775670245.pdf%3F..&ei=am8vUaHdBYj88QT6xYGQDQ&usg=AFQjCNGwXDKnWr9zhWOVwjfkHqrqsQZSyA&sig2=PlJh-ScUjRaOaCrwqunmpg&bvm=bv.43148975,d.eWU

Basically once you get above 40% ethanol content on a port-injected engine the detonation resistance of the fuel plateaus. So at minimum E40 "should" get you the same benefit as true E85.

Disclaimer: not an expert, read the full paper and decide for yourself :P