SAU Community

Guilt-toy Now Running On E85 !

Side feed 740s ATM like you had and I'm going to look into either Xspurt 750s or IDs 850GMs . Both of these are the shortest EV14Ks ("kompact" being Bosch/German) because I want to try and get them on a std R33 inlet manifold with an R34GTt rail . Limited space under 33 plenum section .

I don't like aftermarket rails with barb fittings either end and R34GTt rails are designed to take a 14mm top sized injector which EV14Ks are . Just have to frig around with rail mounts and any differences where the supply/return/reg are using 34 rail on 33 inlet manifold .

My tuner really likes IDs and reckons Xspurts are almost as good , both more accurate than older injector designs . I'm a bit pedantic with normal driving manners because I like cars to drive like factory or even better if possible . What I have is not challenged making 271 RWKW and yours were good for around 360 from memory . I just want to have fine control at very small pulse widths and responsive transients at lowish engine speeds . Better fuel consumption would be good as well . I leave the power tuning to my tuner (Scott/Insight) and I do the normal range bit myself so I guess its a bit of a work in progress - gives me something to do and something to learn from .

Lets know what your findings are with IDs and Xspurts , cheers Adrian .

I haven't tried the 750 Xspurts, or the longer 725's, but I have sold a few sets without any issues. They are cheaper than the 1000's too I think. Artz managed to fit the longer style ones under his 33 plenum without a problem running a larger aftermarket rail, I would be interested to see what modifications are required to fit the 34 rail to the 33...

I think the shorty EV14Ks are whats used in the later Chev alloy V8s and the ID 850GMs are intended for these apps .

I'm told that GTt fuel rails are a bit taller than R33 side feed ones so I think shorter injectors would leave more space to clear everything under an R33 RB25s plenum section . SK is going to lend me a spare 33 inlet manifold (both halves) so I can dummy something up without pulling my car apart . I'll have to get a GTt rail with all its pipes and reg and a set of those injector adapter washers , then if I can lay my hands on two short EV14s I can put it together something that hopefully works . I think someone here "cold forged" a Neo rails brackets and managed to bolt it to an R33 manifold .

A .

Adrian I am still running stock injectors :) I am still debating sticking with side feed or changing the whole setup so I can run ID's. I'm thinking ID's at the moment but it's a matter of sourcing the right bits to fit together.

One correction scotty, Artz managed to fit the short ones, not the standard 48mm size. One other guy posted in that thread saying he had fit ID1000's (48mm) and it cleared the manifold and IAC breather by ~1mm with some shaving down of items. I think he had to move the coolant bleed bolt though. Artz's shorty Xspurts fit with plenty of clearance.

Side note, everyone seems to talk about "shorty 40mm" EV14 injectors but according to the Bosch datasheets there is no such thing. The Compact EV14 is 34mm between the o-rings, so I have no idea where everyone is getting 40mm from (maybe they're measuring from the wrong side of the o-rings?)

Steve from EFI Hardware claims his rail (although an expensive option) will fit without modifications giving 1-2mm clearance with 48mm injectors. I also emailed Plazmaman who said their rail would not fit standard manifold as it's designed for their forward-facing plenums.

So now I'm torn between EFI hardware / ID725 and finding a rail to fit short injectors and the ID850-GM. The ID725 has an exceptionally linear response so would give the best driveability out of all ID options, but I'm sure the 850 would be great too. I'd be keen on seeing whatever you come up with Adrian, drop me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

In your opionions using E85.

Im looking to run my GTR on there.

Has built engine and bolt ons etc.

333kws at all 4s on a conservitve tune.

To run E85 will change fuel pump over to the e85 recomended one.

But it has SARD 800cc or 850 cant remember injectors.

At the injectors, according to the power fc, runs at most at 62% duty cycle.

Would these be big enough? Or will need 1000cc or bigger??

As e85 requires approximately 30% more fuel for the same power you will be up over 90% before you even wind up the wick... I would be getting 1000's at least. How much power are you chasing?

Perhaps you could get away with bumping up the fuel pressure a little? But that will lower the pump's flow at the same time.

Cheers mate

i think currently it could see 350kws comfortably with a more aggressive tune on normal fuel.

So with a conservative tune on e85 id want the 360kws etc

As its my road going car.

But i now have 2 servos on my way to work with e85 so now seems as good a time as ever

So there is probably over 400kw in it, I would be getting some Bosch 1000's and winding the boost up. ;)

Do you have an adjustable fuel reg? The Walbro e85 pump flows fairly well at higher pressure, you may be able to bump it up a fair bit and still flow enough fuel at the top end, depending on what boost you run. I think the 1000's flow well over 1500cc at 80psi, and at under $600 for the GTR kit they are pretty good value, especially if you can sell off the 800's.

On 1000cc injectors I'm maxing out at 72% injector duty cycles running at 21psi on e85. So the 1000's are ideal considering the fact you can really maximise your gains; that way you got more to play with in terms of fuel pressure too.

Hey guys,

In your opionions using E85.

Im looking to run my GTR on there.

Has built engine and bolt ons etc.

333kws at all 4s on a conservitve tune.

To run E85 will change fuel pump over to the e85 recomended one.

But it has SARD 800cc or 850 cant remember injectors.

At the injectors, according to the power fc, runs at most at 62% duty cycle.

Would these be big enough? Or will need 1000cc or bigger??

I Had 550cc in my GTR and was told I could probably push 300kw on E85 with them but they'd be at their limit and it wouldn't be safe so I just went 1000's. I'd assume 800's would be ok for around 330kw on E85 but I don't know how much more. Depending on how much power you want to chase would determine how big you would want to go.

• Like 1

Adz, i reckon your sards will be fine. But your tuner is probably the best person to answer that.

probably best to change just for newer tech anyway, but as for size if they're 800-850 i'd save the coin

United is getting ready to launch the first E85 pump in WA in the next few weeks.

An E85 pump has been installed in Armadale, with others to follow shortly (hopefully!).

We've had P100 & E10 for a little while now, but no pump E85 :(

Better late than never, only look 5 years after introduction over east... Wait Awhile indeed

Does the United blend tend to vary much in ethanol content, or is it only the Caltex blend that jumps around seasonally?