SAU Community

Car Milage Survey

JamesK

IF you drive by looking ahead you won't just save fuel but also tyres, clutch and brakes. (My brake pads last ~60,000km - including 1 track day, my clutch lasts 80,000km, my tyres 40,000km).

not to mention you significantly increase your response time for emergency stops etc to avoid crashes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm just wondering... For those who been saying they can get 450 to 550kms per tank... Is that even true? Cause me and my friend only get 400 max and everything stock...

Just wondering hehe...

And btw, after i get my 02 sensor changed, I did 380kms per full tank with a lot of traffic... (caltex premium)

But the second week with (shell premium) I only manage to make 280 per full tank with almost no traffic...

What the hell happen? If it is because of the different fuel I'm using... That is really very big difference...

Can someone tell me what's wrong? O.o

Thanks in advance...

Car:

1997 series 2 r33

Petrol:

BP ultimate 90% of the time.. if i need to fill up ill get premium of whatever

$ per tank:

$30 bucks and i get roughly 20L of premium.. (i've never filled it completely up)

Kilometers Per Tank (Based On Driving Area & Driving Style):

20L 160-170 highway driving

20L spirited driving approx 130-140km's

20L mostly city driving, about the 130-140 mark again.

Other Comments:

mods are full 3 inch exhaust, fmic, greddy oil cooler, 9 psi

i knew skylines were pretty heavy on the fuel / wallet but in saying that my previous car was a 1.6, i miss those days getting nearly 550k's to a tank :P

CAR:

2000 BNR34 V-SPEC (daily driver about 100,000kms on it now) serviced every 5k.

with 275/30/19 on all four, tyres are pumped to 38psi (i check everyweek).

MODS;

-K&N PANEL FILTER

-CAM GEARS

-FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM (NISMO)

-PFC

-DYNO TUNED (Racepace) 250rwkw

PETROL:

BP Ultimate

About $60 per tank with about 300km on a tank, always fill up before the light comes on. i'm on boost alot, city driving 95% of the time.

Supra jza80 N/A,

mods, trd panel filter,

I can't remember how much a full tank costs, because I haven't had to fill up to full for awhile. I've never had to fill up for less than 1/4 tank so what I do is fill up till the pump jerks, then pump in another 2.5L, and then I divide the trip odometer value by the amount of fuel I've pumped.

Generally I get around 9.5 to 10.5kms/L so its pretty good FC, I use caltex premium 95

Car:

Nissan Skyline R33 1995 Series 1.5. Stock with 12psi boost, larger radiator, EMS ECU

Gas of Choice:

BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax. Shell seems to work better

$ Per Tank:

Between $70 and $80 a tank

350 most tanks. I lead foot a lot.

250 if I am gassing the heal out of it, flaming from the exhaust also.

Other Comments:

Serviced every 5k.

• 2 weeks later...

Car/Engine:

2002 Nissan X-trail BNT30. QR25DE+T. Shitloads of mods. 2860 @ 12psi, FMIC, EMS Stinger, 3" exhaust, 440cc injectors etc...

190awkw. (255awhp)

Petrol of Choice:

Vortex 98. Whatever really, I don't get picky with brands, just as long as its 98 as that's what mine is tuned with.

$ Per Tank:

$65-$75 depending on how 'dry' I run it - X-trails have a 55L tank that I've never put more than 47L in.

KM Per Tank:

350-400 or 11.5-13.5L/100km.

Comments:

Before it was turbo I was getting 10-11L/100km. The tune was done by Andrew @ Hyperdrive, with emphasis on economy and drive-ability (Heaps of response and a meaty midrange)

I tend to drive in short trips in mostly light traffic (<10km), and I try not to drive very heavily, but boost is very addictive!!

Tip: regardless of the car, boosted or not, the key is to reduce the engine's load. Load (throttle) and RPM are fuel economy's killers. more RPM = injectors firing more often, more load = injectors opening for longer. Reduce both of these and you have a winner!

Stock aside from POD filter R33 GTST

using Road Trip iPhone app it takes your odo everytime you fuel up with how many litres and the $$ per litre...

My car does with 30 mins highway twice a day about 12.61L/100km ... it says I should be doing 475 km/tank (60L) but from last fuel up I did 306km from full to fuel up today adding $54.75/38.58L to the tank. which is roughly $17.89/100km

Car:

1995 R33 GTS-T

Front Mount, cat back exhaust, remapped ecu, and has 1 stickers to make it go faster

Gas of Choice:

BP Ultimate

$ Per Tank:

$80-90

Normal driving : 500

Fun driving: 450

Other Comments:

serviced every 5,000 Nulon 15-50

210kw at wheels

• 2 weeks later...

Car/Engine:

2003 Nissan Skyline V35 350GT-8

65000ks on the clock

Petrol of Choice:

Usually runs on either Mobil 8000 or Shell V-Power.

Just depends on where I am and whats closer.

$ Per Tank:

$85-$90. Depending. Apparently we have 75L tanks but the most I have ever put in was 59L and it wouldn't allow anymore, so Im assuming that I only have a 60L one.

KM Per Tank:

450-550km depending on how I drive it. Assuming 7.5 - 9.1L /100km

Comments:

I usually sit at 12-1500 rpm. Hardly ever over that. I do launch it at the lights though. Do a lot of driving for work so those ks are usually done in a working week. A lot of city driving when at work. And motorway driving to and from work. I get it serviced at 10000ks by Carmen up at Brendale. They do a great job. ALthough I do find that my fuel economy is better asn I get closer to the 10000k mark. Weird. Also need to change tranny fluid soon. So that may change things up a bit.

Hi, I'm just wondering... For those who been saying they can get 450 to 550kms per tank... Is that even true? Cause me and my friend only get 400 max and everything stock...

Just wondering hehe...

Yes, I have got that before, depends on driving/conditions. The 550 is most likely a lot of highway/freeway driving at 100 or 110km/h.

Car/Engine:

2001 Nissan Skyline R34 25 GT-V

Custom 2.25inch exhaust with Coby headers/extractors/resonator with twin tip muffler

Custom aluminum intake piping with pod filter and shield

New 02 sensor

Carbon fiber vented bonnet

17 x 8, 17 x 9 Advanti racing rims

123000ks on the clock

Regular Oil changes and good general maintenance

Petrol of Choice:

Usually runs on Shell V-Power.

BP 98 every month or so

$ Per Tank:

$85-$90 approx 45L tank ( i don't run it to empty, but it costs me about $80 for 300/350km tops)

KM Per Tank:

300-350km

Comments:

Live out in the country (40km round trip from home to work and back again) so approx 5km is city driving, not sure why i have shit km/L as i don't floor it very often during the week, i change gears just before 4000rpm with approx 1/3 throttle. The most km's iv gotten from a tank is just over 400 when i drove long distance and that was passing people and going up hills etc.

Edited by R34 -_-

• 2 months later...

Car/Engine:

1998 Series II R33. RB25DET. Pretty stock, enclosed pod, exhaust, and a manual boost controller set at 0.6 BAR.

Petrol of Choice:

Usually BP Ultimate, although also Shell V-Power when convenient. My preference is BP Ultimate, but logically the differences I 'observe' between the two is likely a placebo effect.

$ Per Tank:

I never fill it past halfway, typically something like 25 litres @ $35. Interestingly V-power is always around 8-9c cheaper than BP ultimate near my work.

KM Per Tank:

The average for the first 4000kms of ownership is 13.5l/100km, which I calculated using a spreadsheet in which I've logged all the kms, provided the tank is 65 litres (is it?) that would be 480kms a tank.

Comments:

For the most part I drive the car in a fuel efficient manner: I only ever half fuel the car to save weight, I only occasionally hit full boost, and very rarely rev anywhere near 7000rpm, (Although these last two are consequences of a short drive to work in which the oil temperature only reaches steady state as I'm arriving) I also use very light throttle applications so that there is insufficient load to spool the turbo, I'm always looking miles ahead in traffic so that I rarely come to a complete stand still, etc. etc.

I'm currently looking for a good deal on a used SAFC (PM if you have one......), I think there is scope for its to pay for itself through fuel savings in a reasonable time-frame, and even a small performance increase I would see as a bonus.

Tip:

Use your boost gauge as an 'economy' gauge, the closer you are to -1 BAR gauge pressure (0 BAR absolute pressure) on the intake, the better, obviously.

Car:

1995 R33 GTR - 81,000k's

GT2860R-7's

Power Fc (tuned)

Full 3" titanium exhaust

Fmic

Cam gears

Fuel pump

+ standardish stuff

284.8rwkw @ 16psi...full boost around 4000rpm

Gas of Choice:

Shell V-Power. Used to go with ultimate but runs alot smoother on shell.

$ Per Tank:

$60ish....depending on fuel costs

Around 300ish +/- 20km....drive to work daily, alot of stop-start. Try to have long drives on the weekends- go to the snow a bit.

Other Comments:

Regularly serviced, runs like a dream and doesn't blow any smoke or crap out the back. I'd say my driving style is normal. Go with traffic mainly, sometimes like to wind up the turbos though :dry:

• 5 weeks later...

Car:

99 34 GTT, BOV & Cat back only

Gas of Choice:

Shell V-Power

$ Per Tank:

$80

500km, half fwy half burbs, nearly always a lot of throttle

Car/Engine:

98 R34 GTT Manual sedan. 107K's

Petrol of Choice:

Any brand 98 - stay away from ethanol blends though.

$ Per Tank:

The $ can change but I put in 50L-53L depending on when i fill up.

KM Per Tank:

475-550km depending on how I drive it.

Comments:

I mostly drive to and from work these days so there is a fair bit of trafic normally. If i give it a bit of stick i get a bit less. The car is for sale if anybody who gets under 300km's a tank wants something a bit cheeper to run!

Car:

1994 R33 Series II Gtst - PowerFC, Pod, Hi-flow, 1.15 bar, etc etc dyno'd at 258rkw.

Gas:

Shell V-Power - usually $50-70 a tank

Milage:

Never more than 260km to a tank

300km atleast when on a highway cruising.

Always driven hard, but never launched from the lights.

Comments:

Usually take off 1000-1500rpm and shift 2500 - 3500 bracket to conserve fuel.

When driven super hard 125km to a tank (track day at the creek)

Car:

totally stock 1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GT-V

Gas of Choice:

Regular from Apco....I like the sound of 1.17 per litre

I was using premium but I keep having fuel stolen, so until they quit emptying my tank it's regular

$ Per Tank:

about $55 from empty

about 450-500 kms of solid highway driving from St Albans to Bendigo return.

Reasonable surface, decent amount of wind resistance.

Other Comments:

I don't drive like a grandma.

I often overtake trucks

Generally first off at a red, I don't like getting stuck in traffic because I'm to busy to wait

Regularly serviced, low km's on clock,

Edited by slinky-minky

Car:

96 r33 gts25-t series 2 5spd manual.

3 1/2in turbo back w/ screamer pipe

xforce hiflow cat

walbro fuel pump

splitfire coilpacks

denzo spark plugs

hks ebc

pod

fmic

vipec v44 - 207rwkw on 13psi

stock turbo

stock injectors

coilovers

hicas lock bar

225/40 michellins all round

Gas of Choice:

only bp98

$ Per Tank:

about $70

atleast 400kms to a tank regardless how i drive (probably could get 500kms if i drove like a nana and till i used up every last drop)

Other Comments:

oil and filter every 5000 kms, major service done not long ago with no noticeable changes to fuel consumption. probably 95% of time feather footed around, 5% lead footed.