SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Integrating new ideas into ball bearing CHRAs, it is to increasing bearing speed and reducing oil drag. Prototype went in working with a SS4 turbocharger, took over a minute to shut down after engine is powered off from idle. Drives pretty good, dyno tuning tomorrow.

• Like 1

Alrighty, part where everyone gets excited..

Details:

• Hypergear SS2
  • 45mm Turbosmart External Gate off Housing (thanks scotty_mn35)
  • E85
  • 1.6bar boost, made more power on 1.5bar
  • IAT shot up to 50 degrees, subsequently lost 3 degrees of timing (I take 1 degree off every 5 degrees above 35)
  • Stock motor
  • Stock manifold, stock plenum

Timing Map:

attachicon.gifFridge Dyno Run Timing.png

Dyno Reading at Power Tune:

attachicon.gifFridge Dyno Run.png

Virtual Dyno Reading (Using Log File on the same run at Power Tune):

attachicon.gifDyno Run - Virtual Dyno.png

Hey John,

was wondering...that torque figure is MASSIVE do you think its accurate?

Hey John,

was wondering...that torque figure is MASSIVE do you think its accurate?

I have noticed some big torque gains with my gate off the housing setup, enough to max Trent's hub dyno recently, putting it into emergency shutdown. lol. Power graphs only show so much, and torque graphs can't really be compared between dynos... Unfortunate.

Yeah considering how much torque changed based on gearing and wheel size it's not really a useful number.

even today someone told me his XR6 turbo made 1100nm at the wheels bro! yeah sick mate I'm sure it does next time don't use 2nd gear

no idea, but I know it's not tractive effort..

It's pretty close I'd say as based of hp = ftlb @ 5250

And at about that rpm he has around 280ish rwkw so 375 or so hp, and 375 ftlb is around 510nm and that's pretty much what he has there. So I'd say the torque figure is pretty much correct

Yeah considering how much torque changed based on gearing and wheel size it's not really a useful number.

even today someone told me his XR6 turbo made 1100nm at the wheels bro! yeah sick mate I'm sure it does next time don't use 2nd gear

Don't underestimate what a 4L Turbo can make.

• Like 1

Oh ooooh.....I think my turbo just went pop.

Stao, do you offer a drive in drive out turbo changeover service? If so, what am I looking at for an SS3 changeover into a c34 Stagea? No tune at this stage. I'll basically get a new turbo then park it up till I get injectors and get it all tuned together.

Edited by Cowboy1600

Yep, internal gate in factory position.

I want to eventually shoot for the magical 300 at the treads figure. It's not my daily so doesn't have to be the nicest thing on the road. From what I understand the SS2 will do it on E85, but I'm not sure I'll ever go E85 so I need the size of the SS3.

Happy to be corrected if this isn't the case.

There is a restriction on stock exhaust manifold, so for a standard engine running around 19psi, they usually sit around the 280rwkws figure, unless more boost is added. SS2 would be pretty nice to drive while hitting that target, SS3 is best performed externally gated, and is roughly 250RPM laggier hitting 20psi about 4100RPM. Fitting it to stock manifold running internal gate, its result would be very similar to a SS2.

And uploading one more result, It is sent in from a form member, based on a R33 GTST stock Rb25det with the usual mods. Final result of 263rwkws on 17psi.

Good thing about it is this car was dyno tuned at Trents few month before the high flowed turbocharger was installed. This is a comparison between factory 2IU turbo V been high flowed.

263rwkw21uhf.jpg

Related, but not.

Just an fyi.

I moved my engine to another shell.

I run e85, had massive problems getting the engine running correctly.

Got the injectors checked/cleaned the other day.

2 were completely blocked with the rest being partially blocked.

Have not put it back together to test but im pretty sure thats the problem.

If anyone has major missfire over all cylinders and run 85, injectors are probably blocked, its not your turbo :P

Related, but not.

Just an fyi.

I moved my engine to another shell.

I run e85, had massive problems getting the engine running correctly.

Got the injectors checked/cleaned the other day.

2 were completely blocked with the rest being partially blocked.

Have not put it back together to test but im pretty sure thats the problem.

If anyone has major missfire over all cylinders and run 85, injectors are probably blocked, its not your turbo :P

What injectors?

Some result from Today. upgraded to a Walbro 470L/H fuel pump and EBC fitted. made 383rwkws at 21psi. This is using a prototype .82 Alpha turbine housing with a ATR45 (3582 equivalent CHRA) which seems to work pretty well that matched the same response as to a VCT Rb25det motor.

Final result compare to a GT3582R in .82 turbine on a GTR 32 (E85), and a GTST R33 using the same turbo (P98 fuel).

393rwkwpower.jpg

boost.jpg