SAU Community

Why do people hate the R33?

1 minute ago, mlr said:

Because front engine RWD manual is soooo much more fun IMO.

From my experience the only real world benifit of AWD is in the wet or on icy roads.

Unless your trying to put down big power, but even then, a well setup RWD can be just as fast, if not quicker.

Horses for courses.

In the end everyone is an individual (I'm not) so what looks like a boat to one person, looks good to another.

I would rather a R31 GTS -R than a 33 or 34.

Interesting and fair explainaton.

It’s wonderful to see everyone’s individual taste come out, I mean if we all have the same liking then we’d all marry the same girl/guy, eat the same foods, dress the same and all drive the same Skyline! 

I like RWD too.  I wouldn't say no to a GTR.  If I had the budget and suitable storage I would have bought one years ago.  And there is no arguing that they are great to drive.  But they do flatter the driver.  Not as much as an Evo does, but they still make it easier to do everything.  If you put silly power into a RWD chassis, you have to work much harder to keep it all together.  The GTR would be the closest-to-a-RWD AWD there is, which is why it's the only such AWD car that I would consider owning.  (ie, no STIs, no Evos on my list of desirable cars).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I like RWD too.  I wouldn't say no to a GTR.  If I had the budget and suitable storage I would have bought one years ago.  And there is no arguing that they are great to drive.  But they do flatter the driver.  Not as much as an Evo does, but they still make it easier to do everything.  If you put silly power into a RWD chassis, you have to work much harder to keep it all together.  The GTR would be the closest-to-a-RWD AWD there is, which is why it's the only such AWD car that I would consider owning.  (ie, no STIs, no Evos on my list of desirable cars).

Let’s agree to agree. Nicely said.

GTSBoy, you're completely deluded and part of the clique that regularly get left in the dust by GT-Rs.

I own an S15 (which destroys GTS-T's no problem) so am well versed in what a RWD can do, but the R33 GT-R is simply at the top of the food chain and the only people who hate on it are the people who cant afford to own one. 

At the end of the day, the R33 GTR presevervation society will have the last laugh when all our cars are in insured in 6 figure territory and can be sold for 6 figures. They are the ultimate. Only the most knowledgeable will choose the R33, hence we are the true Skyline enthusiasts.

/Thread.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

Interesting view...I’ve heard a few people actually say RWD is more fun. But how?

Actually bro, you ever not known what tree you are going to hit? Like not even what side of the road or is on? Or that there was a tree there? Who planted it and why? Why are you going through the fence? What happened?

that is fun. Get the old heart rate up a notch. Ladies love it.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

who hate on it are the people who cant afford to own one. 

/Thread.

Oh, FFS!

Point one.  If it would not get me in trouble with the domestic authority for wasting more money on cars, I could go out an buy 2 or 3 R33s (yes, GTRs!) with money that is actually accessible.  Although "accessible" might mean waiting a few months to get some of it out of term deposit.

Point two. It's hardly /Thread.  You simply do not realise that I have been teasing the shit out of you sensitive, precious R33 defenders.  It's OK that you think they're beautiful.  Some people think that all sorts of vaguely unpleasant things are beautiful.  Like Chris Bangle's BMW designs, or like pickled fish.  Or Lady Gaga.  So you're not unique.

And please, please, please.....do not think that R33 GTRs are the only R33s.  It makes you sound so dumb.  Like you can't concentrate on anything except the most recent thing to prick your ego.  The original question in the thread was "Why do people hate the R33?"  It did not say "....R33 GTR?".  So stop being so bloody precious.  It's sad.

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Actually bro, you ever not known what tree you are going to hit? Like not even what side of the road or is on? Or that there was a tree there? Who planted it and why? Why are you going through the fence? What happened?

that is fun. Get the old heart rate up a notch. Ladies love it.

Cheers mate...but to be honest, I don't drive crazy on the road and to be quite honest never had the time to take my GTRs to the track...yet due to work and family commitments so cannot see this happening but of course AWD is part of why the GTR has stood the test of time in the handling department.

2 hours ago, BakemonoRicer said:

GTSBoy, you're completely deluded and part of the clique that regularly get left in the dust by GT-Rs.

I own an S15 (which destroys GTS-T's no problem) so am well versed in what a RWD can do, but the R33 GT-R is simply at the top of the food chain and the only people who hate on it are the people who cant afford to own one. 

At the end of the day, the R33 GTR presevervation society will have the last laugh when all our cars are in insured in 6 figure territory and can be sold for 6 figures. They are the ultimate. Only the most knowledgeable will choose the R33, hence we are the true Skyline enthusiasts.

/Thread.

I may turn gay for a millisecond for you if this is what you want. Nothing sexual of course. ?

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Oh, FFS!

Point one.  If it would not get me in trouble with the domestic authority for wasting more money on cars, I could go out an buy 2 or 3 R33s (yes, GTRs!) with money that is actually accessible.  Although "accessible" might mean waiting a few months to get some of it out of term deposit.

Point two. It's hardly /Thread.  You simply do not realise that I have been teasing the shit out of you sensitive, precious R33 defenders.  It's OK that you think they're beautiful.  Some people think that all sorts of vaguely unpleasant things are beautiful.  Like Chris Bangle's BMW designs, or like pickled fish.  Or Lady Gaga.  So you're not unique.

And please, please, please.....do not think that R33 GTRs are the only R33s.  It makes you sound so dumb.  Like you can't concentrate on anything except the most recent thing to prick your ego.  The original question in the thread was "Why do people hate the R33?"  It did not say "....R33 GTR?".  So stop being so bloody precious.  It's sad.

I think the only manly and fair thing to do is start a voting thread to find out once and for all which GTR is the more desirable. I know it's not a honorable and just thing to do, but damn I'm tempted as I think the R33 GTR would come up on top or very close to the R34 GTR with the R32 coming last. 

You mentioned Lady GaGa...she reminds me of the R32...ugly, flat chested and no curves or booty. She ugly yo! LOL

Plus if you're so cashed up which is admirable, then why are you driving a R32 GTS instead of a GTR if you like it some much that has a lot to say about a man that defends the hell out of the R32. Don't get me wrong, I don't differentiate and judge GTR and GST owners, but you drive a GTS so how can you talk about a GTR? 

Again folks, this is all just in good fun and passion for our cars not meant to be disrespectful in any way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

I think the only manly and fair thing to do is start a voting thread to find out once and for all which GTR is the more desirable. I know it's not a honorable and just thing to do, but damn I'm tempted as I think the R33 GTR would come up on top or very close to the R34 GTR with the R32 coming last. 

You mentioned Lady GaGa...she reminds me of the R32...ugly, flat chested and no curves or booty. She ugly yo! LOL

Plus if you're so cashed up which is admirable, then why are you driving a R32 GTS instead of a GTR if you like it some much that has a lot to say about a man that defends the hell out of the R32. Don't get me wrong, I don't differentiate and judge GTR and GST owners, but you drive a GTS so how can you talk about a GTR? 

Again folks, this is all just in good fun and passion for our cars not meant to be disrespectful in any way.

No, this has turned into a childish pissing contest.

LOL at R33 GTR "decimating all", where? I'm not seeing it when I visit the creek for a look.

Don't get me wrong, if you drop oddles of cash they can be a weapon, until they break that is, and then resale value after spending 6 figures????.

My personal opinion is people have their rose coloured glasses on, or, are mentally unstable, or drug effected.

I'm not saying that Skylines are shit, I'm saying they are old and finicky, and, compared to some new cars, slow as fark in standard form.

As stated, If I had the space I would have a stock mint R32 GTR (The original and only Godzilla, not the later models riding on coat tails of the 32's motorsport success) sitting in my garage to only come out on sunny Sundays.

Anyways, enjoy your "investments".....I will be watching the market as all ways.

And go

• Like 1

R33 skyline/gtr's are great cars maybe not as bad as they're made out to be or maybe they are. But gone are the days of people buying a car for the way it drives or the way it makes them feel. now the only thing mindless sheep worry about is how its perceived on instagram. 

Edited by dyl33
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

Plus if you're so cashed up which is admirable, then why are you driving a R32 GTS instead of a GTR if you like it some much that has a lot to say about a man that defends the hell out of the R32.

On the subject of money vs GTR ownership......Because I am sensible and only spend sensible amounts of money on cars.  It's why my R32 is still stock in many ways (extensive engine, gearbox, subframe, brake, etc transplants notwithstanding).  I daily it, so it needs to work like a daily, not a track grenade.

And I'm not defending the R32 GTR.  If you look closely at all my posts in this thread, you will see me say they look great, and then I list all the reasons that R33s look bad.  I have not reacted to any attempted slurs on the R32's looks, because, in my opinion, these opinions are wrong, but having been expressed by people who think the R33 looks better, I understand that it is not possible to construct any argument that will change the minds of these people.  It's like arguing with Christians.  Total WOFTAM.  They cannot be unconvinced.

I can, however, still poke needles in about how bad the R33 looks and simply wait 3 seconds for the inevitable response.  It's fun when it's fun.  But when people like Bakemono get carried away with huge stretches of logic and bringing in unsupported evidence from other-side-of-the-world GTR communities, it stops being fun.

I challenge anyone to go look at the back end of a mid 90s Maxima and not see a lot of common design language with the R33.  It's sad, because the R32's back end was unique in the Nissan catalogue.  Simply having those taillights on the back instantly set it apart from the S13, which was vaguely the same shape.  The R32 non-GTR bonnet was unfortunate, being an effect of some questionable 80s influence on the design language, but the GTRs was spot on, so we will take that as the default front end for R32s.  But the front end of the R33 looks a hell of a lot like a Magna from the same era.  That's just an unfortunate coincidence, but it ruins the appeal of the R33 for me.  And the other things I point out, like the height of the front guard behind the wheel arch and the length of the side panel in front of the rear wheel, are things that most people are simply incapable of seeing on their own.  But I think, once seen, cannot be unseen.  It appears that you guys like the swollen, featureless panel shapes, odd proportions and unfortunate graphic elements on the car.  Great.  Go for it.  Doesn't mean that they're not there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

Sorry forgot to clarify...just one guys...if you could only choose one which would be the best looking one to you...

I'm ma-taking the R33 GTR.

33 GTR for sure mate. It's at the top of the food chain

The design has been done just soooo damn right!!!!!

Such a visual masterpiece mate.

• Like 1