SAU Community

Why do people hate the R33?

1 hour ago, BakemonoRicer said:

33 GTR for sure mate. It's at the top of the food chain

The design has been done just soooo damn right!!!!!

Such a visual masterpiece mate.

Couldn't have said it any better myself! LOL

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Wow. Ok... that was a rollercoaster ride.
For me, I'd take the 33.

My order would be 33, 34, 32, 35. Cause I'm weird... emoji16.png

Thanks pretty much my preference too only the R35 would come after the two classics 2000 GTR & Hakosuka GTX! 

• Like 1

While I don't hate the R33, it's just like that cute girl from school when you see her at the 10 year reunion and she has put on 20 kgs yeah nah....

Plus the 32 has much more pure look to it, lean menacing, with intent, plus it's stellar racing history, there is only one Godzilla!

R32 GTR in Gunmetal Grey   ❤️

1 minute ago, Missileman said:

While I don't hate the R33, it's just like that cute girl from school when you see her at the 10 year reunion and she has put on 20 kgs yeah nah....

Plus the 32 has much more pure look to it, lean menacing, with intent, plus it's stellar racing history, there is only one Godzilla!

R32 GTR in Gunmetal Grey   ❤️

What if that cute girl that you liked in primary school is now a full grown sexy women in College with curves and cleavage like the R33 GTR? Would you still pass on her or go date a stick flat girl with no curves like the R32 GTR? LOL 

• Haha 1

This thread is going around in circles. If all you really care about is looks, why not go a different car altogether? My Series 3 Soarer shits on any skyline for looks, class, luxury, comfort, power potential (2JZ). Since driving this thing on a more daily basis, it really makes me wonder why I bother with the Skyline at all... except for taking it to the track.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

This thread is going around in circles. If all you really care about is looks, why not go a different car altogether? My Series 3 Soarer shits on any skyline for looks, class, luxury, comfort, power potential (2JZ). Since driving this thing on a more daily basis, it really makes me wonder why I bother with the Skyline at all... except for taking it to the track.

Image may contain: car and outdoor

I would have to agree the soarer is a much better can to drive around daily, but better looking is certainly a matter of opinion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meatball said:

I would have to agree the soarer is a much better can to drive around daily, but better looking is certainly a matter of opinion

and that's the issue with this thread, it's all a matter of opinion, but some people can't understand that other people have a differing opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

with curves and cleavage like the R33 GTR? Would you still pass on her or go date a stick flat girl with no curves like the R32 GTR?

You see, it's these statements that cause us the most confusion.  The R33 does not have curves.  It just has smooth, swollen, featureless panels, like a VN Commodore.  Look at the front guard on this car.

image.png.da85aff2396bde882c879605b4ed215d.png

The rear guard is not much better.  On the R32, the front guard is much more nuanced.  The flare added to it from the base car to get the width they needed made it look wider - whereas the R33 is already just wide.  So wide that they had room for that ugly flat guard lip.

image.thumb.png.f850785f8d58e168bf60415e894e02ca.png

For cars that are so similar, in length, width, height, weight, drivetrain, all the changes in the R33 that change the design language from 1980s to 1990s were bad.  Everything about mid 90s car design language was less good than the late 80s (after the box phase of the R31 era was finished).  The best view of the R33 GTR is from a low viewpoint from the rear.  Yes, it looks wide and hot.  But it is ruined by the 1990s tail lights (more the indicator part, but nevertheless - the lights).

image.thumb.png.ce3efceffc1b5ce6aa68a14c4e6327e1.png

Just now, BakemonoRicer said:

How many times do you get someone saying "Oh wow, look at the soarer".

When they first came into the country - everyone said it.  But then they got tired and tatty and the pain faded and no-one says it now.  They look a bit like an overinflated Hyundai Excel, sadly.

3 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

When they first came into the country - everyone said it.  But then they got tired and tatty and the pain faded and no-one says it now.  They look a bit like an overinflated Hyundai Excel, sadly.

You are really quite passionate about your dislike of the 33, I'm impressed. For me the smooth lines with the single crease down the side are very muscular, almost organic. The tailights are signature skyline and I massively prefer the equal size to the cockeyed look of the 34+. 

I think the seats look very plain on the inside, but they are actually pretty functional at holding you in. The dash is nice, has the info needed with nothing unnecessary, pure japanese 90s perfection to me. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BakemonoRicer said:

The fact the soarer is a bottom of the barrel price sure means a lot for opinion. How many times do you get someone saying "Oh wow, look at the soarer". I guarentee never. It looks like someone has even stuffed their balls inside a gigantic condom.

19 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Fair point, I mean if you measure your self worth (or dick size) by what other people think of your car rather than it's technical pros/cons and how it makes you feel then that's perfectly fine. I do not. At the price point, they're an absolute steal for what you get, for it's time it was way over-engineered in every aspect.

People almost never know what it is... I don't take it to car meets as I'm not a StanceFag, but from time to time normal people get excited about it. in fact I always have to talk it down, as they then think I'm rich or something, getting tired of saying "nah it's just a Soarer you could get one for $4k"

What's important is it's I really enjoy driving it, looking at it as I walk back to it in the car park/petrol station. The R33 gives similar enjoyment but on a different level, most of it's enjoyment is thrashing it on the track.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

You see, it's these statements that cause us the most confusion.  The R33 does not have curves.  It just has smooth, swollen, featureless panels, like a VN Commodore.  Look at the front guard on this car.

image.png.da85aff2396bde882c879605b4ed215d.png

The rear guard is not much better.  On the R32, the front guard is much more nuanced.  The flare added to it from the base car to get the width they needed made it look wider - whereas the R33 is already just wide.  So wide that they had room for that ugly flat guard lip.

image.thumb.png.f850785f8d58e168bf60415e894e02ca.png

For cars that are so similar, in length, width, height, weight, drivetrain, all the changes in the R33 that change the design language from 1980s to 1990s were bad.  Everything about mid 90s car design language was less good than the late 80s (after the box phase of the R31 era was finished).  The best view of the R33 GTR is from a low viewpoint from the rear.  Yes, it looks wide and hot.  But it is ruined by the 1990s tail lights (more the indicator part, but nevertheless - the lights).

image.thumb.png.ce3efceffc1b5ce6aa68a14c4e6327e1.png

I still think the R33 GTR screams sex appeal. Don't get me wrong, the R32 GTR is still on my list of top GTRs at number 3, around 3 spots before the hideous R35 GTR. Wow, those voluminous curves and nice juicy arse! wow! Sexci!

1 hour ago, KiwiBoat said:

You are really quite passionate about your dislike of the 33, I'm impressed. For me the smooth lines with the single crease down the side are very muscular, almost organic. The tailights are signature skyline and I massively prefer the equal size to the cockeyed look of the 34+. 

I think the seats look very plain on the inside, but they are actually pretty functional at holding you in. The dash is nice, has the info needed with nothing unnecessary, pure japanese 90s perfection to me. 

Mate, you hit the nail on the head...I hate to say this again for the 30th time, but I own both the R33 and R34 GTR and love both a lot...like after my wife, kids and close family and friends, they're next in line! But, damn, the R33 GTR's front end and rear tail lights makes it look so much better than the R34 and R33 that's why, as someone has already said, the R35 GTR is almost the next evolution of the R33 but so much more uglier. 

• Like 1