SAU Community

R32 Brake Upgrade

blind_elk

I purchased a set of GT-R calipers some time ago, with the idea of installing them on my R32 GTS4. The calipers might be R33 calipers, but can't be sure (is there a part number stamped anywhere on the caliper?)

I've just noticed that my current rotors have been chewed almost down to no slots, so I need new rotors fairly soon, and I figured it's time to do the upgrade.

Has anyone done this? And what are the differences between GT-R and GTS4 / GTSt calipers in terms of where they mount relative to the hub? eg, do GT-R calipers have longer ears, or do they have different mounting points on the hub.

TIA

this is what you want - http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/de...2118.210.98.179

value for money right there,

Im using this kit on my stagea, amazing brakes. 324mm disc goodness, nissan caliper fits spot on. amazing feel, performance is supreme

edit: set it up on my r32 4door too, fits no worries. going to order a front/rear disc set to do the r32 front (with wilwood calipers) and stagea rear.

I purchased a set of GT-R calipers some time ago, with the idea of installing them on my R32 GTS4. The calipers might be R33 calipers, but can't be sure (is there a part number stamped anywhere on the caliper?)

I've just noticed that my current rotors have been chewed almost down to no slots, so I need new rotors fairly soon, and I figured it's time to do the upgrade.

Has anyone done this? And what are the differences between GT-R and GTS4 / GTSt calipers in terms of where they mount relative to the hub? eg, do GT-R calipers have longer ears, or do they have different mounting points on the hub.

TIA

If you post a pic of the callipers we can tell you if they are r33 gtst or r32 gtr ones, easy to see..

I have 32 gtr brakes on my car, they bolt up easy as.

they all (32-34) have the same mounting locations, you just need to match the caliper to the right disk, or get an adapter if you want to mismatch caliper/disc.

32 gtr and 33 gtst are interchangeable (32 gtr is greenish with fins and nissan, 33 gtst is bluer with sumitomo)

Ok, just returned from doing a trial fit of the calipers.

They are a Sumitomo alloy caliper. When mounted on my 32, the bottom edge of the pad is about 8mm above the current swept area of the rotor. By my reckoning, that would mean they cover an extra 16mm of rotor, which means 296mm R32 GT-R.

32 gtr and 33 gtst calipers are both sumitomo. Both use 296mm discs as well, only the gtst disc is 2mm thinner. So really it doesn't matter which ones you have.

Your master cylinder should be ok with the marginally larger discs on the front. Might do to check which one you have anyway..

• 3 months later...
Your master cylinder should be ok with the marginally larger discs on the front.

Not so much concerned about the diameter of the disk, more concerned about the diameter of the pistons in the calipers. Larger pistons will require more pedal travel, or a bigger diameter master cylinder.

Anyone know how the piston diameters compare?

• 7 months later...

Bumping a old thread, ive just purchased a set of 32 GTR front brakes, i understand these are non brembo but still largers then the GTST? can i use a 296mm rotor from any reliable brand?

Aslo these are going onto r33 GTR front hubs, will i have any issues?

As written above, 32GTR and 33GTST calipers bothsit over 296mm discs. But the GTR calipers are slightly different in that they are wider to take the extra 2mm of disc thickness. I'm told you can squeeze full thickness GTR discs inside 33GTST calipers - but there seems to be no point in forcing the issue when you can just put the proper thickness discs in there.

but there seems to be no point in forcing the issue when you can just put the proper thickness discs in there.

The issue in question is that a very popular brand of brake rotor isn't available to suit GTST, but is available to suit GTR... Thanks for your info though, as it puts our mind to rest having told a customer or two that the scenario will work!

As written above, 32GTR and 33GTST calipers bothsit over 296mm discs. But the GTR calipers are slightly different in that they are wider to take the extra 2mm of disc thickness. I'm told you can squeeze full thickness GTR discs inside 33GTST calipers - but there seems to be no point in forcing the issue when you can just put the proper thickness discs in there.

Can you clarify something for me?

I currently have a set of R33 GTSt calipers waiting to go together as a brake upgrade, and I was intending to use 32mm wide rotors.

The rotor groove in the caliper is 34mm wide; ample room to take a 32mm rotor. How much wider is the rotor groove in an R32 GTR (non Brembo) caliper?

I previously used R32 GTR (non Brembo) Calipers on 32mm wide rotors, and I'm sure the rotor recess was no wider than what I have currently. In fact; the caliper looks to be identical.

It's always been my understanding that R32 GTR (non Brembo) and R33 GTSt front calipers were virtually identical; except paint colour.

Keen to hear exactly what the differences are.

Perhaps the difference is actually a (1mm) thicker backing plate on GTSt pads?

Edited by Daleo

It wouldn't be the pads, as they all are the same part number.

I haven't held the GTR calipers up against the R33 calipers, and I can't remember who it was that told me that the GTR ones were wider - but I do recall that whoever it was was supposed to know what they were talking about.

For all I know, the difference may even be in the pistons - with R33 ones being longer perhaps, and therefore maybe pushed back a smidgin too far when a 32mm disc is jammed in. Pure speculation on my part, not to be taken seriously.

cheers

Dont know wether Skylines can help me. But---

I have an RS4 and A 25G N/A which is RWD. I amtrying to fit a set of R33GTST rotors and calipers. The 25G rotors are only 20mm thick and the R33 are 29mm thick, they have been skimmed. The distance from the mounting face of the rotor to the shroud is 7mm more on the R33 and they wont go on.

Have I got the wrong type to do this upgrade. Is an R33 GTs, ie N/A, and RWD ,different in the front end to a GTST RWD

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by 66yostagea