SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Sorry, back on topic.

Alls good mate,,,speaking of dry sumps,,,I rang ASR today,,,$850 bucks. Looks like I'm making my own or if that fails I know someone that can make me one.

My poor tow car needs some rust cut out,,,so it's off tomorrow to get that fixed,,,I could do it myself but it's a great opportunity to get Cheryl's front bar and lower lip fixed and painted. He can paint my carbon boot lid and while he's at it give me extra paint for the interior. I'm quessing but would 2 litres be enough for the cage and floor?.

Cheers

Neil.

Gday Jay... you are Brad's mate I met at his place right? Don't worry you can hang onto it, I just quizzed him about the design and asked for a photo :)

Sorry, back on topic.

Yeah that's me. There's a running joke between Brad and myself about him selling off my random car parts that are in his garage.

It's all good as I want to change the design slightly to suit my pump and try something different so if we sell that one we'll just cut up another one to suit.

I'm quessing but would 2 litres be enough for the cage and floor?.

I think 2 litres will be plenty. We used about half a litre to paint the floor and both fire walls of the r32 by brush.

My poor tow car needs some rust cut out,,,so it's off tomorrow to get that fixed,,,I could do it myself but it's a great opportunity to get Cheryl's front bar and lower lip fixed and painted. He can paint my carbon boot lid and while he's at it give me extra paint for the interior. I'm quessing but would 2 litres be enough for the cage and floor?.

Cheers

Neil.

Hi Neil,

2 litres should be plenty, from memory we had 2 litres to do the entire interior and majority of the exterior and also and I think there is still about 1/2 a litre left, if you know what you are doing you should probably get away with 1 litre.

Stay sidewayz kidz!

You and Duncan seem to be having just too much fun with your R33 build so I thought that I should also get into the act with a dedicated track car. I just happened to pick up another R33 during the week.

post-24210-0-22891700-1296341196_thumb.jpg

The guy said that it had a scratch on the drivers side rear quarter but with a bit of work it would polish out.

post-24210-0-71774200-1296341342_thumb.jpg

It was lucky that I just happen to have another spare shell at the bottom of my garden to get some straight panels off.

post-24210-0-34025200-1296341488_thumb.jpg

Now the fun starts all over again - or should this just be another parts car......... :banana:

Not much fun at the moment Charles,,,this heat is slowing both of us down. Great to see you are looking at a dedicated track/race car. If you get stuck or need to know something,,,I'm only a pm away mate.

Got my painted and repaired bits back and the falcon got her rust cut-out. Unfortunately my m-spec lower lip is un-repairable,,,so I'm going to have to find a new one,,,bummer. Fords are rust bloody buckets,,,both it and Cheryl are 96 models,,,Cheryl has no rust whatsoever,,,but the falcon is suffering in small spots everywhere.

post-29-0-18795300-1296952612_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like carbon fibre anymore

post-29-0-06129400-1296952629_thumb.jpg

It was time to decide on a pair of seats,,,I was after steel framed ones and finally choose these. A little bartering with Joseph at Revolution I got these seats,,,a pair of aluminum mounts and 6 roll cage tubes at a great price. The great thing about these particular seats is they are bottom mount and side mount. So I can use the mounts on the side to install them directly to the passenger floor permanently and the drivers seat can use my adjustable track. Much thanks to Matt and Mark for the offers of seats,,,but the price I got for everything was excellent.

post-29-0-53362300-1296955569_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-25751500-1296955596_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-54546400-1296955616_thumb.jpg

No chance of work today,,,Saturday's sweating was enough. Think I'll sit here,,,do some research and drink beers.

Something I forgot to mention when Brad did my cage which was really cool,,,he welded up my clutch and brake peddle boxes,,,Nismo style. Nice touch mate and not even asked for. :cheers:

Cheers

Neil.

Glad old mate Joseph looked after you mate. I still buy everything I can from joseph and dean. All my set-up gear came from them too.

MIG was out and pedals were exposed so it's all a part of the little things we do to finish off the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update,,,Saturdays work consisted of getting the drivers seat rail sorted,,,after a lot of measuring,,,cutting and finally welded I got it finished. The seat rail was originally setup for my old daytona seat but the sparco seat mounts are in a different spot and as I have to fit 3 different length humans in her,,,I moved it a little more forward than usual. Hope Kel fits!!!. That took up most of my day and I'm happy to say the car will break before the seat mounts do,,,.

post-29-0-62752000-1298280179_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-65718800-1298280199_thumb.jpg

Painted the rear tow hook and mounted it,,,nice easy glory job to finish the day off,,,

post-29-0-96555900-1298280829_thumb.jpg

before getting on the piss with the boys at a certain persons engagement party. It was great to sink some piss with the Handleys and Jenna/Fatz,,,talking shit all night,,,was a great night thanks Lisa and Brad.

Sunday turned into a bludge day,,,all I really did was setup my rear shocks and search the net for more gear,,,bought a sheet of carbon fibre which I was going to use to mount gauges but now I'm going to make the radical a new dash. Pics are rubbish because it's covered in plastic. Did lots of sleeping so I could get up early and watch the Daytona 500,,,pity non of my fav drivers did any good,,,Juan got 6th,,,Stewart got 13th and Marcos as usual got mixed up early in a big smash and ended 37th.

Cheers

Neil.

I watch and oh so want to wander down the hill to play... I'll have to call and make a plan...

Your always welcome Dan.

I've actually booked a weeks holiday next week so I can get some work done. I'm making a list of what to do,,,it never gets any shorter!!!.

Mr courier delivered this today. I was going to go a full custom cooler but whats the point,,,this one will do the job and they are so cheap these days. The whole kit cost me under $700 bucks,,,my old one which was much the same bought 8 years ago cost $2200.

post-29-0-93482800-1298450935_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-80086500-1298450965_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Neil I got your email mate.

That's just the regular version. If you can get the "race" version it is easier to machine up a neater drive mandrel.

Can be done on that one you showed me I have one here but it's not as neat

Damn Brad does good work with those cages!!

How did you get on with the Motec old man?

Yea he sure does Werdna Zeb-Drew. Actually thanks for reminding me about the cage,,,I've decided I'm not painting it or the interior,,,. We have found a very helpful shop thats willing to do it all cheap. They fixed my front bar and painted it,,,filled/painted my boot lid and cut the rust out of the falcon for nothing,,,we ended up paying them with 4 cases of Stella. The boys were stoked.

So I now need to get all the interior sorted,,,all the excess studs ect removed and drill the holes for my lap timer,,,. I'm going to have a very busy holiday.

I've not even contemplated Motec at the moment mate,,,that will come when I need telemetry and have out-grown the power fc which could be a while yet.

I'm on the hunt for wheels at the moment,,,I like these with not so much dish

post-29-0-76606600-1298537851_thumb.jpg

and these old school ones,,,but in black.

post-29-0-85921300-1298540195_thumb.jpg

Trouble is they have to be 17 x 8's and I need 5. If anybody has something,,,post them up.

Cheers

Neil

the lensos are a good cheap rim. and if you want some wider rims later you can get the same style but wider. these rims are avalible everywhere if you ask the right people and you can buy them individualy even thoe the salesmen say no.

my thoughts on wheels for r33s is not to get somthing with any kind of dish if its as small as 17" you idealy want somthing that has spokes that come right out to the edge to make the rims look big as an r33 will swallow small looking rims. these dont come in the right size but somthing that looks like this origin wheel. http://www.japaneseimportspares.com.au/origin/ the origin dna02 is the one im talking about.

cst hyper zero is also a good rim but i dont think they come in the desired size either.