SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

hmmmph for a supposedly lightwieght car it is very hard to push uphill

Thanks Handles for giving up your Monday night to help put Cheryl to bed. :thumbsup:

It's now raining so we did well. Thanks Mr weather. :worship:

A big thank you to Brad,,,nice work mate. I looked and looked for a fault,,,found none. After the boy's left I spent 1/2 an hour sitting in her,,,dribbling,,,great cage. :cheers:

A little prospective here though,,,This was a joint effort between the pair of us,,,theres no way you can do what Brads done without customer imput. What I am saying is do your homework,,,sit down with your builder and talk,,,. That lower harness bar took many phone calls to get right and in the end Brad got it perfect. Check out how close the "A" and "B" tubes are to the actual body,,,bloody excellent work.

Duncan's 6 foot 3 inches actually fits in her using a standard GTR seat and it wasn't that hard.

I'm going to bed a happy man.

Cheers

Neil.

She is coming along great Neil. :banana:

I will have to call past and check out Brad's handywork. That would have to be one of the best engineered cages that I have seen with all of the little things done right. :worship:

After having a run at Eastern Creek last weekend in my street R33 GTS-T I will have to get stuck into my track car - bring on the R33's.

She is coming along great Neil. :banana:

I will have to call past and check out Brad's handywork. That would have to be one of the best engineered cages that I have seen with all of the little things done right. :worship:

After having a run at Eastern Creek last weekend in my street R33 GTS-T I will have to get stuck into my track car - bring on the R33's.

Yea I have to agree Charles,,,he's done bloody good this time,,,sat in her again for ages tonight,,,. I like very much,,,still couldn't find anything to piss me off and thats coming from Merli number 2. The pair of you are more than welcome to pop by anything mate,,,never a problem.

One thing that really should have been done before putting a cage in though was removing all the glass,,,will Brad didn't hurt one piece,,,I now have to remove all the glass to paint the interior. I started on a 1/4 glass tonight,,,super cheap tool is rubbish,,,razor knifes didn't do it very good so in the end I cut it out using an old butter knife heated up with a butane torch,,,worked a bloody treat. I'm very confident I can remove all my glass now. I'll be stuffed paying someone to do it if I can learn and do it myself.

I also received my 1st part for dry sumping her,,,a brand new 11 litre Peterson tank. Looks like it will be a good fit.

post-29-0-64042100-1295352220_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil.

Neil, why don't you just mask up all the windows and paint her?

Wouldn't that be easier then removing and reinstalling the windows?

No way Matt,,,think about it. How am I going to get paint and a spray gun on all the upper bars areas?. I'll struggle even with the glass out,,,but as always I have a plan. Many years ago I was a sponsored slot-car racer and I've kept my hobby spray guns,,,as well as my car painting ones. Cheryl has to look good remember.

Cheers

Neil.

Thanks Charles.

You really do have to see it to appreciate all the time that went into it.

The photos sort of show the way it fits but in the flesh you can really see the way it sits in the car.

I don't think there is even a gap between the front legs and the sill pannels

the hoop and intrusion to the b pillar is the same.

Good to hear your happy with it Neil!

Did those straps fit the Peterson tank okay?

Yep sure did Brad. Bloody yanks and their rubbish imperial threads,,,Gone.

Out to the garage now for some more punnishment.

Cheers

Neil.

I also received my 1st part for dry sumping her,,,a brand new 11 litre Peterson tank. Looks like it will be a good fit.

One change of letter and that sentence could be a lot funnier :)

Does anyone do an "off the shelf" dry sump pan for the R33 or is Brad going to sort it out?

Ok Neil,

I have caught up! And will be heading your way to veiw/help in feb. I am going to have to get my baby track bound again for the impending R33 GTS-t challenge I'm sure someone will launch.

Love the angle, while we chased a built engine in my build, we focused on torque, turn in and over all drivability, and I'm quite keen to compare spring rate notes over a brew :)

Love the cage Brad, I can't wait to have a closer look at it soon.

I hope I can offer a few helping memories from my build some 6 years ago... oh, and I think I was possibly the last bloke to blister every finger with 2 heat guns and scrappers getting that sound deadening out... lol :D

Speaking of helping... Neil no luck in the house as far as the sump research goes... however there are 3 rather deep boxes of build info in my garage... I have been meaning to spend some time cleaning that up, now I actually have a reason. :(

I'd expect it to go under 1400kg easily.

Has anyone actually weighed a properly built race GTs-t?

Know exactly what a GTR should weigh in at but I'd think 1400kg is too much.

The cage Neil has in mind shits all over 90% of the cages doing the rounds but will Be somewhere between 45-65kg

a typicalbolt in job is roughly 12-18kg and a weld in full cage 30-55kg typically in CDS.

I rekon a GTS-t could get down to 1200kg if not less with the right parts.

My R33 weighed in wet (standard fuel tank) with me in it (72kgs) at 1277kg on Eastern Creek scales.

I'll take a 32 screen for sure to go with Neil's 33 one. hopefully some other motorsport section whores will want one too.

Yep, I'll take an R33 screen please :)

Gotta get some sleep.

Stay Sidewayz Kidz!

Dan.

One change of letter and that sentence could be a lot funnier :)

Does anyone do an "off the shelf" dry sump pan for the R33 or is Brad going to sort it out?

Ha ha,,,would that letter happen to be a "P",,,your a sick puppy Michael.

Interesting question on the sump,,,researching at the moment. I'm trying to find out if an Rb30 and an RB25 sump are interchangable and if they are not,,,whats the difference. Is a 30 different because of the longer stroke making the sump deeper or some other reason.

Here's 2 that sell them,,,pricing on the 2nd one is shall we say out of control. No way in this world am I paying $1650. I'm going to ring the 1st one on Monday.

http://www.asroilpans.com/other-oilpan-gallery.html

http://www.hioctanedirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_74&products_id=1828

Found this on ebay,,,starting bid of $3500,,,no tank,,,no lines and only 3 stage. Just a little pricey in my opinion. Research tells me a 4 stage is the way to go,,,3 scavenge lines out of the sump and no scavenging the head,,,don't want the lifters running dry. Controlling vacuum properly is by far my biggest issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dry-Sump-Kit-Nissan-RB30-RB26-RB25-/320645712121?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa7f948f9

Cheers

Neil.

Ok Neil,

I have caught up! And will be heading your way to veiw/help in feb. I am going to have to get my baby track bound again for the impending R33 GTS-t challenge I'm sure someone will launch.

Love the angle, while we chased a built engine in my build, we focused on torque, turn in and over all drivability, and I'm quite keen to compare spring rate notes over a brew :)

Love the cage Brad, I can't wait to have a closer look at it soon.

I hope I can offer a few helping memories from my build some 6 years ago... oh, and I think I was possibly the last bloke to blister every finger with 2 heat guns and scrappers getting that sound deadening out... lol :D

Speaking of helping... Neil no luck in the house as far as the sump research goes... however there are 3 rather deep boxes of build info in my garage... I have been meaning to spend some time cleaning that up, now I actually have a reason. :(

My R33 weighed in wet (standard fuel tank) with me in it (72kgs) at 1277kg on Eastern Creek scales.

Yep, I'll take an R33 screen please :)

Gotta get some sleep.

Stay Sidewayz Kidz!

Dan.

Hey Dan's alive and kicking,,,good to talk to you again mate. Yea we need to sit down and gasbag a bit,,,over some brews of course. Your car has some great setup shit on it. I definately need you going threw all your setup paperwork :-). 1277KG with you in it,,,cool I should be able to get way under that.

R33 GTS-t challenge,,,that will be interesting,,,but a lttle on the back burner at the moment,,,you and Ryan would hand me my arse while I'm in targe spec,,,. Keep your pants on till I build the 2nd motor.

Saturday's work was hot and sweaty,,,handles and I got some good work done though,,,. This little addition should go a long way to making our lives easier.

I bought an air con unit from Bunnings for $500 bucks,,,thought it better and cheaper if I did the hardware install,,,gotta save some bucks.

post-29-0-46914900-1295748217_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-51674200-1295748239_thumb.jpg

Much debate was had over how to removing the ignition switch locking tab,,,in the end Duncan and the angle grinder won.

post-29-0-18415400-1295748693_thumb.jpg

I welded on the rear tow hook to the factory hook,,,yes it's heavy but it might have to actually be used one day. Happy that I haven't lost my welding skills.

post-29-0-24314300-1295749220_thumb.jpg

Duncan decided the front loom needed some alterations,,,this is not for the faint-hearted. I simply can't watch this,,,.

post-29-0-92497100-1295749845_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-77166700-1295749866_thumb.jpg

I started making dummy brackets for the dry sump tank,,,sounds easy but you have to able to drain it,,,so clearance is needed at the bottom to remove the plug and getting a hole cut in the floor to clear the inside of the chassis rail. You also need to be able to remove the top 1/2 of the tank while it's still all bolted in. pics will be up when I've finished.

Cheers

Neil.

Saturday's work was hot and sweaty,,,handles and I got some good work done though,,,. This little addition should go a long way to making our lives easier.

I bought an air con unit from Bunnings for $500 bucks,,,thought it better and cheaper if I did the hardware install,,,gotta save some bucks.

post-29-0-46914900-1295748217_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-51674200-1295748239_thumb.jpg

All I can say is that it must get very hot is your part of the world or you guys are going soft in your old age. :banana:

All I can say is that it must get very hot is your part of the world or you guys are going soft in your old age. :banana:

Yea we are soft,,,no question about it,,,but life will be much easier with air con. Stuff the old days when not even a fan was available.

Matt,,,around the other way mate,,,no rb30 in Cheryl,,,RB25 all the way.

I spent 3 hours cleaning up today,,,the garage is looking great for a change.

Cheers

Neil.