SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Brad,,,do the peterson tanks seperate in the middle like these???.

http://www.larnerengines.com.au/Details.asp?ProductID=86

Remember I'm only researching at the moment guys,,,but it has to happen sooner or later.

Ryan,,,No to the pedal box mate,,,no need for that stuff till I have decided the factory brakes are past their use by date.

I'm not allowed to have the cage entering the under-bonnet area. Brad had a top idea though of running tubes out through the skirt area and welded to the inner of the strut tower which would make it legal,,,but quite frankly where do you start and stop.

I could turn this car into a marathon build if I'm not careful,,,Duncan,,,Kelly and I want to drive Cheryl early next year.

Cheers

Neil.

Yep Peterson tanks have all the good bits, 3 segments inside the top entry and spiral plates, a middle section with mor spirals and baffles then the bottom section which ita drawn from.

I've had a tank spun up preveiously and replicated the Peterson baffle/ divider but the ammount of stuffing around and spinning cost it is easier to buy one!

The inner turret idea has been done before to a few prod cars doing the rounds. And a few other category cars which don't allow fire wall bars. It's pretty nessisary on any circuit serious nissan, the front ends suck badly.

I do have an over hung tilton box you could utilise Neil ;)

you just need to keep the pivot points of the pedals within 75mm of original if my memory serves me right?

Well I hope everyone had a great christmas.

Boxing day's work started at about 11pm,,,Duncan started helping me remove the rear suspension so I could change all the rear arms to the nismo ones. Smart boy stopped that painful job and left me to snap the ball joints ect,,,which was cool,,,no point both us yelling,,,swearing and cursing.

He started removing all the rubbish wiring from the rear harness,,,must say I was very nervous seeing all those bloody wires being removed. I beleive he removed all the hycas and stereo wiring,,,nice work tiger. I always love the lines we use when working on each others car,,,"Not my car mate" and "I need a Glory job mate".

He came back in the late arvo to install the hicas removal bar,,,It's quite frightening how much movement there is in the bushings without the rack fitted,,,even with nismo bushes. If the car wasn't being setup to Targa spec I would look into changing everything to eliminate the bar completely.

We had a very brief look at how to install a rear tow hook,,,no way am I cutting the rear bar and Nissan's factory hook is not low enough to actually pull Cheryl out of even a sand trap without ripping the bar off. On closer inspection I realised the factory one is un-boltable so I've come up with this plan. Little bit of weld love and it will be done.

post-29-0-02330900-1293616374_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-18322100-1293616395_thumb.jpg

Two pair of these turned up today out of HKS USA. They are rear upper mounts but with some stud changes one pair will be used on the front. Funny though the nuts are different threads,,,you would have thought the Japs and the Germans would use the same. No biggy just more work. What's even funnier was the delivered price,,,John at UAS has A pair that he's had for years and I offered him 260 buck but no he wanted 400,,,. Sucked in Johnny I bought 2 pair for less than what I offered you.

post-29-0-92928400-1293617001_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-04390100-1293617019_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately for me we have a GTR to put back together so Monday and Tuesday were spent doing that. Not complaining,,,I was booked ages ago.

Cheers and have a HAPPY new year.

Neil.

its moveable now.

and neil you have a gtr to put together next sat/su/mon as well :P

were those HKS strut tops dusty?

Yes Duncan you are correct,,,Brad it is movable right now. No way am I installing my shocks while you have her,,,you might steal my spring rates. :whistling:

Sat/Sun and Monday,,,put the ice pipe down mate,,,3 days = NOT.

Funny you ask about the dust,,,I received 1 x old stock (same as Johnny) and 1 x new stock,,,both all sealed,,,nice and new.

Cheers

Neil.

Spring rates! Meh just run 12/10 that should be great according to the monkeys around the place who know everything!

I could sell the info to the interested people though ;)

not that it's really that hard to work out what works anyways.

Possibly sooner,

I have an r31 which is causing me all sorts of grief currently, nothing simple and is consuming more hours than I care to add up!

I'll have a good idea by Friday if I can take it earlier.

Yep keep me posted Brad,,,it's all good,,,oh by the way Cheryl is not an "IT",,,she has feelings. R31's are IT'S.

Cheers

Neil.

only just got round to reading this. Have you been keeping up to date with the Targa rules? us double wishbone people are now 'officialy' allowed to run adjustible upper arms . Why arn't you running a GT-R body kit? It's a cheap light weight bonnet.

What weight are you aiming for?

only just got round to reading this. Have you been keeping up to date with the Targa rules? us double wishbone people are now 'officialy' allowed to run adjustible upper arms . Why arn't you running a GT-R body kit? It's a cheap light weight bonnet.

What weight are you aiming for?

Ben,,,great to see your reading all this!!!. I've read all of yours.

I'm going off THC rules at the moment,,,please point me to newer ones if you can. Adjustable upper arms sounds great. Duncan said exactly the same thing about the gtr body work,,,while you both are correct,,,I like my front end just way it is.

Weight,,,thats always interesting,,,I beleive offical weight is 1390,,,mine when complied was 1370. If I can keep her under 1400 that would be great. It's funny we rip all the crap out of these cars and then start adding it all back.

Cheers

Neil.

That weight of 1370 kg is very close to the mark as I had to get a weighbridge ticket for my R33 for the blue slip to get her registered and she came in at 1372 kg in stock road trim.

Now that she is registered again my worry is that after the Brembo's, new intercooler, big exhaust, big radiator, GTR rear end, GTR body braces etc etc go in I will be up around 1400kg before Brad starts on the bolt in cage.

I'd expect it to go under 1400kg easily.

Has anyone actually weighed a properly built race GTs-t?

Know exactly what a GTR should weigh in at but I'd think 1400kg is too much.

The cage Neil has in mind shits all over 90% of the cages doing the rounds but will Be somewhere between 45-65kg

a typicalbolt in job is roughly 12-18kg and a weld in full cage 30-55kg typically in CDS.

I rekon a GTS-t could get down to 1200kg if not less with the right parts.

A local track R32 is down to 1190kg, that's with an extensive cage. It's stripped as light as you can go with Targa regs, but it's still got a gtst bonnet. So 1176 with gtr bonnet?

I'd guess 1280 would be about it on a R33, with it's gearbox, and extra body bracing. If we could run carbon doors it'd make a huge difference.

Woosters R32 was about 1240kg, and i'm aiming for under 1200kg with mine. Alot easier to do with a flimsy R32 and little gearbox.

a 12l dry sump would be heavier than a wet sump.

Are you guys removing all the factory side intrusion from the doors or leaving it in??

I know we took 38kg out of my old GTR by cutting that out of the doors.

You will add about 40kg with a complete dry sump, pump, and oil are the heavy parts. alloy tanks are light and if you use prolite hose there is bugger all weight added there.

It lightens your wallet too if you use prolite hose!