SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

I got the afternoon off work yesterday,,,my boss is a bloody great bloke,,,are you reading this Richard???, so I thought an arvo's work was a great idea. Spent an hour in the garage and thought this is bloody stupid,,,the fan and roof sprinklers were doing jackshit so I stopped and went out and bought an air-con unit for the sauna room. Now all I need to do is the basic install and pay someone to do the pipes and gas it up. Cool in summer,,,warm in winter,,,I like.

When I started the build my only real deadline was targa tas in 2012 and quite frankly that would have me being very lazy and cruisey,,,What I really needed is something sooner,,,Troy started a thread about World Time Attack which got me thinking,,,August next year is a very achieveable goal. So now thats the plan.

Cheers

Neil.

Basically spent the whole weekend on the car. Duncan is a gluten for punishment,,,sunday he removed all the wiring,,,removed my imobalizer,,,cleaned up all the rubbish connections and even got under the car to remove the last wiring on the gearbox from my cruise control. I must admit that he does a lot of work and I do lots of thinking,,,not that I'm bludging,,,just sometimes I prefer to think of the consequences of our actions. I really hate fixing something that didn't need fixing in the 1st place,,,so far all is good. Fingers crossed Cheryl starts again soon.

haha, me too...i beleive they call it procrastinating its like a cross between procreate and masturbating...

this thread is awesome BTW...

Neil, Duncan and I were discussing how no one knows what "That brown box is" in the engine bay up near the windscreen wiper motor... Well I found out it's for your windscreen wipers. It's an "Amplifier" for them. NFI how it works or what it amplifies.

it may have been said later but the brown box controls the intermitant side of the wipers. thats where they get the "amplifier" part. pretty sure if you unplug them the wipers wont park properly on the windscreen either.

ive just skimmed the whole thread. to lazy to read. if you made a movie and put hot chicks in it it would be a lot easier to follow.

im liking the track orentated r33 trend. they are a far more refined car than the the 32 in every way. i often think about trading my r32 daily for a neat S2 r33 but its alway the shape thing that stops me. a mate of mine was drifting a r33 a few years back and traded back to a pig r32, posibly the worst thing hes ever done. i drifted it on track a few times and it had huge potential. a hugely understated car i belive.

Arthur,,,thanks for the gearbox link,,,pity it was in W.A.,,,I bought Brad's one today,,so that little problem is solved. Now that I have two,,,one will be re-built back to factory spec and the other will get an aftermarket gearset. Haven't decided which brand yet though.

Damo,,,thanks for the insite in to the "brown box" issue,,,seems it will have to stay then,,,oh I thought about some hot chicks and quess what,,,I decided not to. I'm glad you are liking the idea of 33 Gts-t race cars,,,I think it's a better choice than a 32. I had a bit to do with a D/A drift car some years ago,,,it worked very well indeed.

Thanks Brad,,,you made finding what I was after in a gearbox exactly what I needed.

Cheers boys

Neil.

Today started much like every other Sunday,,,cleaning up for more than 2 hours,,,god even on my own I'm very capable of making a bloody mess and It still is.

Did some work on the Radicals body work,,,just fixing her battle scars. Fibreglass prep is no fun,,,but she needs it to be done.

Cheryl got some serious grinding action ,,,so many un-needed brackets were removed and then 4 hours of wire wheel shit. Seam sealer is every where on her. Three vacuum bags later I'm quessing 2 more kilo's are out of her,,,. Sold all my boot trim as well and helped him out with fitting it,,,so a pretty good day.

I had to stop work at 4.00pm as Mel was in the back yard doing the garden,,,I thought that was very un-fair so I spent 2 hours doing the same.

All in all a good weekends work,,,bonus was I got to talk to Brad face to face about what I want as a cage which is much better than exchanging pm's and e-mails.

Cheers

Neil.

what in particular are you hoping to gain out of an A/m gear set? somthing stronger like a dog set or differnt ratios?

it only just accoured to me that if you was chasing difeerent ratios for different tracks you could get a second diff as well. r32 manual and auto or r33 auto diff ratios are all lower geared than the standard manual r33 diff or you could run somthing out of a late model s chassis. they are taller.

what in particular are you hoping to gain out of an A/m gear set? somthing stronger like a dog set or differnt ratios?

it only just accoured to me that if you was chasing difeerent ratios for different tracks you could get a second diff as well. r32 manual and auto or r33 auto diff ratios are all lower geared than the standard manual r33 diff or you could run somthing out of a late model s chassis. they are taller.

Well Targa rules say I can change internals,,,but I have to retain the original casings,,,same with the diff. I'm thinking I'll re-build my standard box,,,get the car to where I'm happy with it's power and then think about gearbox ratio's later.

Dog box is the prefered way to go,,,mainly because it's stronger,,,I'd cry breaking 3rd gear on day 2 because it's the poor bastard which will cop the most punishment.

No I can't run a sequential,,,that would have been cool though wouldn't it.

I have a nismo locker in the car at the moment and for the life of me I can't remember what ratio it is,,,I have it written down somewhere in all my paper work. I also have my standard diff which is a single spinner at the moment,,,so I'm looking at nismoing that as well. Diffs are so easy to change in a gts-t,,,,1 hour and it's done.

Cheers

Neil.

Cage I know nothing about doing no cage ;)

Your a funny f**k Brad.

You will be happy to know tiger that I am researching dry sump systems at the moment. So cool Targa allows such things,,,almost every class of racing should allow such an engine saving system. My biggest question though is how do I get a pulley attached to the front of the crank?.

Cheers

Neil.

Ross do one off the shelf Neil

Yea I know,,,just trying not to get raped. I'm only at the stage of researching and no-where near buying anything,,,actually thats not totally true,,,I'm looking at buying the tank so I can mount it,,,drill the holes and paint the boot area. That way I can close the boot-lid knowing that section is done.

Cheers

Neil.

Your a funny f**k Brad.

You will be happy to know tiger that I am researching dry sump systems at the moment. So cool Targa allows such things,,,almost every class of racing should allow such an engine saving system. My biggest question though is how do I get a pulley attached to the front of the crank?.

Cheers

Neil.

Cable ties and duct tape...

Dry sump all the way.

I have everything you need in the shelves.

I make my own crank pulley snouts, I've just finished big pete's one for a Ross balancer.

I have a brand new Peterson tank if your after one. Or actually I have 4 of then.

Also have pumps, etc etc.

Neil I am running a Ross balancer and it works a treat and has the provisions for your snout if you fit one later on. I highly recommend one as they slow your w/p down, get rid of the a/c and has high side wall bits to stop belts jumping off when ya on the rev limiter side ways lol.

Are you running a pedal box? Are you going through the fire wall with the cage?