SAU Community

Neil's R33 Gts-t Build

Neil

Matt,,,you have no idea what you just put your hand up for,,,Like me on the GTR,,,you will get punished mate,,,but it's for a good cause.

Mark,,,Thanks mate and I agree it is all looking good,,,you might be a little disappointed at the start though,,,she will be basically stock.

I'm liking it Brad,,, it's coming together nicely. You still have a lot of work to do though tiger. How many fires have you had to put out so far???.

I decided not to box in the crosses at the "B" pillar as helmets will need to go in the back on a net for touring stages and it would be a pain in the arse. I only ever wear high quality helmets so banging one against anything is a no-no.

Looks like I better put the old hand back in the wallet again and buy,,,buy and more buy. I need to decide on seats and work out how to get Mr Handley's lankyness,,,Mrs Handley(22 today) shortness and me in there comfortably. Kel and I are sweet but 6 ft 3 will be interesting. Can someone cut and shut 3 inches off him.

Richard,,,I spoke to Del for over 2 hours yesterday,,,bloody small world. Turns out I have been talking to the man at racecar meetings for donkeys years. He regaled some interesting stories about you actually. I'm just waiting for him to e-mail me the details about the screens and I'll post them up in the Motorsport section for any interested party's.

Cheers

Neil.

ha! you got one of the quietest weekends ever!! hardly any blood to show for working on the girl

neil...i will happily squeeze my ample arse into any race car

I know... The only "cuts" I got was hacking my finger with the back of a stanley knife, and the scar I have on my arm now from loading boxes into the GTR over the roll cage... LOL

And you know what, I'd do it all again cause it was MAD FUN!

Just next time, can we take a real tow car Duncan? :P

Matt,,,you have no idea what you just put your hand up for,,,Like me on the GTR,,,you will get punished mate,,,but it's for a good cause.

Mark,,,Thanks mate and I agree it is all looking good,,,you might be a little disappointed at the start though,,,she will be basically stock.

I'm liking it Brad,,, it's coming together nicely. You still have a lot of work to do though tiger. How many fires have you had to put out so far???.

I decided not to box in the crosses at the "B" pillar as helmets will need to go in the back on a net for touring stages and it would be a pain in the arse. I only ever wear high quality helmets so banging one against anything is a no-no.

Looks like I better put the old hand back in the wallet again and buy,,,buy and more buy. I need to decide on seats and work out how to get Mr Handley's lankyness,,,Mrs Handley(22 today) shortness and me in there comfortably. Kel and I are sweet but 6 ft 3 will be interesting. Can someone cut and shut 3 inches off him.

Richard,,,I spoke to Del for over 2 hours yesterday,,,bloody small world. Turns out I have been talking to the man at racecar meetings for donkeys years. He regaled some interesting stories about you actually. I'm just waiting for him to e-mail me the details about the screens and I'll post them up in the Motorsport section for any interested party's.

Cheers

Neil.

cool. only 2 hrs? he must have been in a hurry... haha.

good stuff. go for it mate. :)

Talking of seats, Ive got a Sparco Sprint V with a adjustable seat rail to suit a 33, Im getting some R34 GTR seats so will not be swapping seats for track days (I am the lazyest man alive), the seat is near on new and the rail has only been bolted in to see if it fitted, if your interested give me a bell.

Of course it comes at a super happy fun price but make a offer and Im sure I can do better,LOL.

Matt,,,I've been looking for a young virile man to one day take over looking after the Team Raceworx stable,,,are you up for it???. :thumbsup: It's growing all the time,,,Marks targa 32,,,Duncan's 32 my 33 and Radical and maybe one day the 32 sports sedan.

There are very few benifits unfortunatley,,,apart from lots of learning race car shit,,,but it's fun almost all the time. Cuddles and massive smiles from Mrs Handley when he wins are cool.:blush: You just have to be careful when the car stuffs up,,,she has a very grumpy side as well and so do I,,,have have been known to kick the car on the odd occasion. :spank:

Duncan's a hard task master sometimes too,,,I heard you left off the valve caps,,,Bad boy,,,did he slap you for that. I still get in trouble on the odd occasion,,,last meeting I forgot to fix his window net,,,so I was a bad boy as well and got castigated and rightly so. :closedeyes:

Just next time, can we take a real tow car,,,screw you and handley,,,she mighten be the best in world but at least she lives at home,,,not like a certain leather seated,,,never going prima-donna. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Chris,,,yea Brad and I are glued at the hip at the moment and it's looking great. Should be a great advert for his skills. What ever Chris,,,mx5 turbo,,,bring the bitch on,,,actually I know of another one other than in your build thread. Pm me if you want details. :cheers:

Mark,,,actually yes I could be interested in your seats,,,funny enough I'm a fan of steel seats. I've never liked how the back of fibre seats move around. Yes everybody it's me and I know they are strong but I like steel. Let me get the car back and then we can talk.

Cheers

Neil.

Get a pair of kirkey seats ;)

Neil I bought another Peterson tank. It's longer than the other ones I have and is second hand from a sprint car. Diameter is the same and it has proper mounting straps.

The straps should fit the brand new tanks which you wanted.

Hey ....

cool. only 2 hrs? he must have been in a hurry... haha.

good stuff. go for it mate. :)

A'hem

You have a cheek .... And yes, I was in a hurry to Rich !

Only cause Neil said he had a few mins though :laugh:

CheeRS .... Del

Here you go Neil....

Ill bring it around tomorrow afternoon but these should do you for now.

gallery_20349_4009_44596.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_52030.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_3342.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_62540.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_27623.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_3469.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_80519.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_40031.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_45024.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_132679.jpg

gallery_20349_4009_79822.jpg

This cage was a good one to do but a decent challenge. Have a good look at how close the front leg, intrusion and drop bar come to the sill pannel, They are welded to the sill. And everything is 360 degree TIG welded no exceptions. I actually modified the B pillars slightly to fit the hoop exactly how I wanted it to go. Its the closest fitting hoop you could do really and took a few mock ups to get right.

Even the roof which is a full X took a long time to get right, not to mention the little support bars and the windscreen support bar. Front legs were mocked up a few times and post bent a little to get right as well.

The lower harness bar is a nice addition, as too are the little timing beacon mounts welded to the hoop.

All in all I hope Neil is happy with it, its alot of cage for the money.

There is roughly 45 hours in this cage alone. I know it doesnt look like much but the work involved is really something you have to see to appreciate, the same cage could be done in half the time with a lousy fit around the pillars and hoop, X intrusions and less roof work.

People bitch about cage work pricing but like I said a generous 45 hours (probably 50 hours with planning and stuffing around on the lathe for harness lugs) at $90 an hour plus the tube, TIG filler, hole saws, Argon, linishing wheels etc etc the price for this cage quickly approaches the 5 grand mark.

And for interest sakes it went on the corner weights to reveal the cage weighs in at 52.5Kg completed.

Neil you know the before weight so work out the total.

Edited by Risking
  • Like 1

Hey ....

A'hem

You have a cheek .... And yes, I was in a hurry to Rich !

Only cause Neil said he had a few mins though :laugh:

CheeRS .... Del

haha, sprung! I am just as bad though so I shouldn't say anything. :)

neil will sort out your group buy no prob. I was stuck down for 2 weeks over christmas/new year with a bad allergic reaction to some antibiotics so I have been offline for a bit. but you'll get a few extra people in now for sure. :)