SAU Community

Who's Raging?

krzysiu

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first gen ps3s actually had the ps2 gpu and emotion engine. These could play all ps2 game but cost a fkng crapload to buy.

2nd gen got a little cheaper by keeping the ps2 gpu but removing the emotion engine thus having to emulate it; this played most but not all ps2 games.

3rd gen got ecen cheaper by removing the ps2 gpu - resulting incapable of playing any ps2 games. that's the model I have.

4th gen are the slims.

Complete account of PlayStation Network outage offered; info stolen from all 77 million PSN accounts; no fraudulent credit card transactions reported; Anonymous possible culprit.

http://au.gamespot.c...topslot;thumb;4

It's a FULL breakdown of what caused the shutdown oft he PSN network - No details as to how, but more a timeline of when things occurred.

Anonymous denied doing it yea?

May 1, 2011. Sony finds new evidence that hackers broke into the servers of Sony Online Entertainment, the PC online gaming division of the company which runs online games such as Free Realms and EverQuest. Sony discovers a file that says “Anonymous,” “We are legion.” That’s the slogan for the hacktivist group.

anon was DDOS'ing something else so Sony was too busy fending that off to notice someone else stealing shit.

It's like if you were driving down the freeway, saw someone broken down and then crashed into the guy in front of you cos you were rubbernecking, then tried to blame the guy who had broken down for distracting you.

more like if you saw someone breaking into cars, pulled over and got out to call the cops and while your back was turned someone else stole your car...

I all for pirating and hacking... except when it stops me from shooting 12yr olds in the head with a Spas... then it just pisses me off

more like if you saw someone breaking into cars, pulled over and got out to call the cops and while your back was turned someone else stole your car...

I all for pirating and hacking... except when it stops me from shooting 12yr olds in the head with a Spas... then it just pisses me off

Well said, sir. :cheers:

See I think that's retarded... Apparently Sony also aren't allowing a full investigation into it, then come out with this? But then again, think about it: Hack into somewhere and leave someone else's card. Like if you break into someone's house, and leave a card on their table: "Sorry for stealing your shit, my name is Matt Bobfranko". Likelihood of it being 1) someone just dumping that file there to deflect the investigation off onto a known "menace"?

Also keep in mind, there's always splinter cells of Anon. Not like they all got together and went "OLOLOL LETS DO THIS", considering the main attack was a DDOS, and when it affected people playing PSN, and not just the Sony websites, they reined it in so that the customers weren't affected.

TL;DR, it MIGHT have been SOMEONE who calls themselves Anon, but it's not all of them.

Whatever happened, Sony is being super dodgy about it. Like making you sign a waiver if you accept their "gifts" for the inconvenience. Taking 2 days to report a mass break of customer confidentiality to the FBI etc.

Whatever happened, Sony is being super dodgy about it. Like making you sign a waiver if you accept their "gifts" for the inconvenience. Taking 2 days to report a mass break of customer confidentiality to the FBI etc.

Running security tests and Accidentially the whole thing?

or something like that?

*places tin foil hat on my head*

Running security tests and Accidentially the whole thing?

or something like that?

*places tin foil hat on my head*

Nah I'm convinced they got breached. I just think that they're being very sneaky by apologising without accepting liability and attaching waiver statements to any rewards for putting up with downtime.

I mean FFS, they posted the breach in their blog. So technically if you didn't read the blog you'd never have known. They didn't even bother to email anyone individually via mass email, which they do happily to promo their shit... but apparently it's too hard to do when your credit card details have been stolen.

Sony is a 1990's company stuck in 2010's.

Yeah fair enough :)

The only reason I found out was because of This thread (havent been on PSN for a while)

Too bad if I had credit card details on there...would never had known otherwise.

Apparently there's been no report of fraudulent activity from it? Dunno.

Either way, the way I look at it is this: They'll force you to take their gifts and not sue them in order to keep using PSN. Which is absolute bullshit. f**k that, I just won't sign in again, not like I'm buying games all the time that needs new firmware.

Nah I'm convinced they got breached. I just think that they're being very sneaky by apologising without accepting liability and attaching waiver statements to any rewards for putting up with downtime.

I mean FFS, they posted the breach in their blog. So technically if you didn't read the blog you'd never have known. They didn't even bother to email anyone individually via mass email, which they do happily to promo their shit... but apparently it's too hard to do when your credit card details have been stolen.

Sony is a 1990's company stuck in 2010's.

yep they've handled it VERY poorly

Anon is kinda like Al Qaeda... assumed to be way more organised and functional than they actually are... I'd almost go to the point of saying neither actually exist... just groups of different people operating independently who all call themselves the same thing...

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6312333.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B2

Computer security expert Dr Spafford testifies against Sony - ACTUAL TESTIMONY,

"On a few of the security mailing lists that I read, there were discussions that individuals who work in security and participate in the Sony Network had discovered several months ago, while they were examining the protocols on the Sony Network to examine how the games worked, they had discovered that the [PlayStation] Network servers were hosted on Apache Web servers--that's that form of software. But they were running on very old versions of Apache software that were unpatched and had no firewall installed, and so these were potentially vulnerable. They had reported these in an open forum that was monitored by Sony employees, but had seen no response and no change or update to the software. … [And] that was two to three months from when the break-ins occurred."

"If Dr. Spafford's assessment is accurate, it's inexcusable that Sony not only ran obsolete software on servers containing confidential data, but also that the company continued to do so after this information was publicly disclosed," said Consumer Reports technology editor Jeff Fox.

There is also a video of the testimony released as well.

Turns out Sony were too busy worrying about other things than the security of their customers - and now, their reputation.