SAU Community

Pnm35 Build Thread

PN-Mad

Yup, it's just a Wakefield speed off the streets day. $120 plus aasa licence if you dont have one. It's not busy, no bookings turn up on the day.

Come down and put it on the track if you have it free.

Fingers crossed that all goes well for Tuesday! Can't wait to hear the result!! I think you'll be alot faster than you think!!

So, I completed my first Wakefield day, and made it home! Couple of guys didn't - NC MX5 blew up a clutch, and more dramatically, a new Renault Megane RS 265 rolled at T3. That put a stop to proceedings for a while. Car was totalled. Driver walked away without a scratch. There was a lot of traffic throughout the day, couple of fast cars- WRX and a Emo. Fark you and your awd! So much grips.

I had a couple of offs- both were T2. First I dropped into second to go through, where I was using 3rd all day, powered out, kept my foot in it, and ran out of talent ending up spinning onto the infield. Second was at the end of a fast lap where I totally lost my braking marker into T2, and squirmed locked the rears, and made me spin off in that awesome fashion that you see cars go off there. Ended up in the gravel, and drove out the other side. Marked up the tyres pretty bad but meh. I was laughing so hard when I got back to the pits.

So I was on Federal RS-R tyres, so some of you know what they are like. Not a real semi, but quite sticky. Certainly made them work.

Best time : 1:10.56

After the first session I was lapping 1:14s, so I gained 4 secs throughout the day.

To back it up I did 1:11.3, and 1:11.5 laps as well.

Few things to sort out- Final session I managed to rip some wiring out of the drivers side guard and lose power to my indicators - lol! Secondly, the motor was pushing a lot of coolant around, so maybe its a problem with the neck, or maybe it has lifted the head. Dunno, will check it out.

I never got it above 93, I got off it for a lap and a half, and it recovered to 86 or so.

It went down at 70 on the free way, and came back at 70 on the fw. I'm losing some coolant from a join on the filler neck, but it's looking suspiciously like that other bucket of bolts red racecar that we work on Scotty :P

Dunno. First thing is to get the grass and dust off it! Didn't use any oil, which was nice, used lots of fuel, but I never had surge issues down below half a tank.

I'm hoping to have a bit better vid once someone who knows what they are doing messes round with the GoPro and data logging footage. So hang in there- something better will come along.

Turns out the indicators were just a fuse. Looks like the wire the wheel decided to pull out was something indicator related, and it shorted blowing the fuse. Still don't have hazard lights, so might check that out too.

I have had another thought about the head, and am going to try something else first before resorting to the head gasket. It has a intermittent leak from the neck of the china spec radiator. My thoughts are if the motor is getting hot, pushing coolant out to the overflow bottle, and then instead of drawing it back in, its drawing air from the leaking neck, that will cause the issues. So I'm going to rip the rad out, and get it welded, fill/bleed, and then chuck it on a dyno to load it up and see what happens. There is no way I can get it hot enough on the road and keep out of gaol at the same time- so a dyno is going to be it.

So the new radiator neck is on, and its night a day difference for the cooling system. It pressurises nicely (not gas) and actually stays cooler- sif it had a overheating prob anyway, but now hot at idle it sits at 68-69 degrees. Hoping that was the issue and its not the gasket, but we'll find out.AND it draws back in!!!!!

With much thanks to Pezhead, I now have my GoPro vids and Data overlay. We couldn't match up every many things, as the sessions were interupted with the roll and that clutch, but we match two. Just so happens the two are the two "offs" I had, so you can all see how much of a hack driver I am! I'm not sure what happened in the second video, but in transferring it seems to have moved the Beacon of the start finish line to the 3 sector marker, but data is there anyway (there is a bit of difference swapping between programs for some reason). Looking back on the data, on my 1:11 laps I lost about 3 seconds through T2. So If I can get that right and put all the sectors together it's good for a 1.08 which is pleasing. Example.... Comparing best laps (overall time- sector 1 split, sect 2, sect 3)

Lap5(best) 01:10.453 00:22.064 00:25.399 00:22.990 (+00.490)

Lap3 01:11.589 (+00:00.278) 00:26.151 (+00.975) 00:24.545 00:20.893

Anyway- Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

Ah, well, better update this!

So took the Stagea out to the Drags. NA is slowwwwer.

Very Very consistent.

14.93 at 93mph

2.2 60ft

Anyway- PNM35 RECORD HOLDER! Prove me wrong - post a faster Series 2 time bishes.

So Monday the public holiday SAU NSW is holding on of their Texikhana days. I've been volunteering at them for a while now, but now its time to compete!

I have been doing a few little things to the 180sexytimes to get it ready.

After the wakefield track day, I noticed that my oil was toast. The SR20det doesn't have any oil cooling. Not even one of those stock coolant to oil transfers. While the motor has a Greddy winged sump pan to hold some more oil, it was clear that it had gotten way hot and was toast; all within 400kms!

So I went about installing the oil cooler! It was a bit of a pain to get to the block attachment, having to remove the rad, fan, and alternator, but nothing overly difficult. I installed one of these GKTech things instead of the typical Greddy plate, because the lines are much easier to route. I got it brand new in that kit I bought a while ago. http://www.gktech.com/index.php/sr20-oil-sandwich-plate.html

Put the core in the front drivers side guard.

8966516039_23ce4c5ecd_c.jpg
8967709030_5fedf8680a_c.jpg
I later added some stainless Mesh to the rear side to protect it from rocks slung from the wheel, and covered all the rubby parts of the braided line with plastic conduit stuff. The kit came with a remote oil filter mount, which I placed on the Strut tower.
Now, what good is it if you don't know what the temps are doing???
So I bought a oil temp gauge! Its a shadow something or other, a stepper gauge with sensors and looms for $99 from Just Jap. Pretty easy to install, even I managed it, being hopeless at electronics! It has all the effective stuff, like peak recall, adjustable dimming, and some other features I won't ever use. I was easy to wire in partially because I just ripped out the stereo, and the cables on the back of that were still labelled! Winnah!
I didn't want to mount it on the dash, don't know why, but anyway.
8967793094_64e5158866_c.jpg

Next up for some treatment was the 4 point cage. It was always in bare metal, which made it look a little untidy and scruffy. So I hit it with some Matte Black.

8737736314_6fcefea806_c.jpg
Turned out really good IMO, It was a pain to mask - I'm not the smallest bloke, and crawling round trying to get paper behind things was a right PITA. I gave up, and took the seat out so I didn't need to spend 2 weeks going to physio.
8966595281_1627e72462_c.jpg

Now for Texi, unfortunately because it is close to residential areas, we cannot GAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEE so I needed the plumb back. Thankfully the old owner was clearing out the garage and found it. So I installed it with some new bolts.

8967790746_6c3293f302_c.jpg
8966598207_8f9ffb90a7_c.jpg

Installed bucket on passenger side for quick sickings?? :P

Need more things to hang onto!! :D

Roll cage looks much better, just gotta scratch it up a bit now to make it looked used xD.

I also will beat your time. One day!!

Edited by M35woah