SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

R31Nismoid

Define "There will be other situations..."?

Aka... It's a modified car?

Also, "you will need to make an appointment"... does that mean visual inspection or just "you need to come in and sit in the queue like a bitch"

That is very interesting

I always through you needed to get a VIC RWC if your brought a interstate car?

It's a lengthy story and there's been a lot of fking around on my part getting facts and figures from overly bureaucratic public servant establishments...but basically, when the seller handed in their notice of disposal to the ACT RTA, it put the vehicle under my name. Because he handed in a notice of disposal I cannot renew the registration in ACT (I tried to, to give me time to fix the engine before registering in Vic), because there is a bar on renewing the rego there...obviously the notice of disposal incurs this...however...the vehicle is under my name according to ACT. So there exists a small window until my ACT rego expires, where on paper, it's as if I owned/drove the vehicle in ACT. And because it was mine there, I don't need a RWC to register it in Victoria (just like Leesh didn't need a RWC to bring her own car here from WA).

If I was actually an ACT resident, I would have needed a RWC for it to change names, but because I'm interstate they don't care - the assumption is that my state's RTA will require one themselves - but they don't because it's already in my name.

And I don't know whether it's just the ACT that does it...because someone told me they bought a car from NSW and they had to get a RWC.

Also, "you will need to make an appointment"... does that mean visual inspection or just "you need to come in and sit in the queue like a bitch"

What Tony copied and pasted - how I interpret it, based on the situation I'm currently looking at - is that if the other state has put the ongoing registration under your name on their database and it is no longer under the name of the seller who sold you it, then you don't need a RWC. But if that state leaves it under the seller's name or the registration has expired, then VicRoads will ask you for a RWC. Either I got lucky, or it may be a loophole exclusive to ACT's system, but it's a bureaucratic loophole built around people moving interstate not having to get a RWC cause they're not selling the car to anyone.

The appointment simply means you have to go there in person to show identity and sign forms etc. I do need to go for an inspection, but only to sight compliance plates because it's an import and the compliance information is missing from the national database. Leesh had to do this for her car too, because Victoria is the only fkn state that requires this information - the rest of the states couldn't give a fk and therefore don't put compliance info on the national database. And therefore refuse to if you ask them to.

Yeah read that, couldn't get any info on that though

It's a lengthy story and there's been a lot of fking around on my part getting facts and figures from overly bureaucratic public servant establishments...but basically, when the seller handed in their notice of disposal to the ACT RTA, it put the vehicle under my name. Because he handed in a notice of disposal I cannot renew the registration in ACT (I tried to, to give me time to fix the engine before registering in Vic), because there is a bar on renewing the rego there...obviously the notice of disposal incurs this...however...the vehicle is under my name according to ACT. So there exists a small window until my ACT rego expires, where on paper, it's as if I owned/drove the vehicle in ACT. And because it was mine there, I don't need a RWC to register it in Victoria (just like Leesh didn't need a RWC to bring her own car here from WA).

If I was actually an ACT resident, I would have needed a RWC for it to change names, but because I'm interstate they don't care - the assumption is that my state's RTA will require one themselves - but they don't because it's already in my name.

And I don't know whether it's just the ACT that does it...because someone told me they bought a car from NSW and they had to get a RWC.

This follows the Vicroads guidelines where it says:

as long as the interstate vehicle registration is current and is going into the same name in Victoria, a certificate of roadworthiness (RWC) will notbe required

How did you get it into your name in ACT though?

Edit: missed that bit of your post

No such loophole in NSW when I bought my car.. as far as I'm aware anyway. The notice of disposal was lodged with the RTA there just to indemnify the old owner against fines and the like. So I had to get a Vic RWC

Edited by HEKT1K

Which brings me to a whinging point, that Leesh went and got her car sighted for the compliance information, and the guy kicked up a fuss / refused to register the vehicle because the chassis number stamped in the chassis was missing the pointless "6U9000" at the start of it. But ALL Skylines come from factory this way and every registered Skyline in Victoria does not have those numbers at the start because you don't need them. Now the whole point of that number being there is so that they can rule it out as a stolen / vin swapped vehicle...so naturally his clever recommendation was that we go and get those numbers added to the start of the chassis number...for what fkn purpose? What's stopping us from doing that to a rebirthed car? Those same digits ARE on the compliance plates along with the rest of the chassis number, because it's the same damn number.

How did you get it into your name in ACT though?

When the seller handed in the notice of disposal it put the vehicle rego under my name. There was a good chance it was never going to do that - I expected it to stay under his name and simply say that he vehicle had been sold interstate, thereby requiring from me a RWC. But VicRoads confirmed that it's currently under my name.

If I could go back I would have renewed the rego before seller handed in notice of disposal, but I can't now, and I didn't know it would put it under my name and that could have wasted my money / refunded ACT rego to the seller come the time I transfer it over. Catch 22 risk.

I'm waiting on a delivery of brake pads from Queensland... shipped out on Monday afternoon...

This is what you get for accepting their offer of free shipping :|

I'm waiting on a delivery of brake pads from Queensland... shipped out on Monday afternoon...

This is what you get for accepting their offer of free shipping :|

What pads you getting?

Gonna assume your aiming for a sub 2min at PI?

Which brings me to a whinging point, that Leesh went and got her car sighted for the compliance information, and the guy kicked up a fuss / refused to register the vehicle because the chassis number stamped in the chassis was missing the pointless "6U9000" at the start of it. But ALL Skylines come from factory this way and every registered Skyline in Victoria does not have those numbers at the start because you don't need them. Now the whole point of that number being there is so that they can rule it out as a stolen / vin swapped vehicle...so naturally his clever recommendation was that we go and get those numbers added to the start of the chassis number...for what fkn purpose? What's stopping us from doing that to a rebirthed car? Those same digits ARE on the compliance plates along with the rest of the chassis number, because it's the same damn number.

Take a car in with a pre sevs gibberish VIN to same bloke, just for lulz.

What pads you getting?

Gonna assume your aiming for a sub 2min at PI?

Grabbed some Project Mu Club Racer's from BrakesDirect, next set will be the Ferodo DS3000's for comparison. Currently just running the crappy pads which came with the calipers.

I don't think sub 2 minutes will be an issue, considering last time out there I was needing to back off constantly due to detonation down the straights and pulled out of the day early with a split CV boot. Now everything should be sorted and a nice safe E85 tune.

Can't wait to get back out there :)