SAU Community

2013 V8 Supercar Series

Whiplash

With a change to a control Silhouette series this will put more emphasis on engine and aero performance.

Nissan - due to be released next week

Holden - new VF coming

Ford - continues to decline

Erebus / SBR - AMG bodied / engined but privately funded

Will the increase of manufacturers help build interest?

Will the new chassis formula shake the grid up or is it still going to be an FPR / 888 white wash?

for the sake of the category, i'm hoping both the merc's and Nissan do will. new cars tyres and regs etc should even up the field a bit but still the ones with the most money will come out on top.

have ford or holden said which engines they are using yet??

Will be honest and say i have ONLY concerned myself with the AMG stuff this year but I think the ford and holden are using the same as this year, hence the testing already? so if anyone can correct me please go ahead

at the end of the day the aero / engines are all being parity tested to bring them in line with the holden and ford cars.

I will be at the clipsal in the Erebus silver / black (again) so Nissan is more than welcome to 4th out on track being the Mercs!! ;)

I am extremely surprised that anyone decided to join after Nissan (and before seeing how they went) - Erebus/AMG are very brave, and good luck to them. Can't beleive I have to cheer for Rick Kelly next year.....that is really going to hurt

I am very over v8 supercars and haven't really watched it for the last few years; there are only a couple of car/driver combos who have a chance at most rounds. And they are spending almost as much on cars as the Superlap guys

Would be great to see some variety, and an effort to breakdown the knuckle-dragging holden v ford marketing

I'll be keen to watch. Will support Nissan beast I can. I seem to get into it more towards the end of every season as it seems to be broadcast at more friendly times due to no afl and cricket. If there was an option to watch v8s of footy id take the v8 option regardless of current format or not.

Well the Stone Bros are likely to get a jump on Kelly Racing/Nissan as they are already testing their COTF Ford. So the they know the current cars aero performance and will be able to see how the new underwear fits with a known aero setup. I imagine that is going to help them understand the new chassis quicker then if they went straight to a Merc with AMG engine.

I am really excited about next year. I like the variety of the Gold Coast round....i like the racing. SO the new manufacturers just adds to it.

I just hate most of the drivers. :( The Kelly video I posted is the perfect example...the series has produced a bunch of media trained zombies who all sound the same. ie boring as bat sh1t. There are so many things Nissan could be doing right now that would be exciting and help build the brand in the series. But nothing but monotone drivers boring me with chit chat. (and I dont mind Tod Kelly)

So to me the only thing they need to do now is let the drivers be themselves and inject some personality into it. Right now i dislike both HRT drivers, both FPR drivers, one of the 888 drivers...both DJR guys. Bring back mad Thomas Mezera, there was a guy I loved baracking for! lol floored genius :)

I am not fussed whether they are running production based engines. I think in reality they would prefer to run production based engines as these days both make great late model all alloy powerhouses. But the respective SVO and Chev engines now have enough development in them its probably a financial thing that they keep them.

I am looking forward to car of the future...should mean plenty of cool brake setups, Hollingers etc find their way into club cars :)

I am not fussed whether they are running production based engines. I think in reality they would prefer to run production based engines as these days both make great late model all alloy powerhouses. But the respective SVO and Chev engines now have enough development in them its probably a financial thing that they keep them.

I am looking forward to car of the future...should mean plenty of cool brake setups, Hollingers etc find their way into club cars :)

Or do you mean into your parts clearout thread?

Unfortunately it's wishfull thinking that ex supercar parts are going to be everywhere and cheap next year.

The parts are everywhere now with most teams having a small bussiness doing "retail" outleting of used parts, they sell them for what they are worth though

Most of the current cars are spoken for as of the last round this year.

The buyer of whincups car actually had a re appraisal clause in the sale contract. If the car won bathurst it was re appraised. Wins the championship re appraised. Same for loundes car apparently.

A mate of mine has bought the spare GRM VEchassis and is updating from his current one.

Alot of parts are spoken for by the DVS runners and also alot of teams will be running cars for their purchasers next year in DVS so the parts are far from redundant.

A couple of dramas with the albins transaxles both reliability and accident damage from kerbs etc has shown its head apparently too.

The development series are only running them for one more season aren't they? Figured only those flushed with cash would be upgrading when only good until end of 2013.

I did read they were trying to sell them to UAE as a series so they could replace their V8 saloon series in 2014 but not sure if they have had any success

i watch the v8 supercars now. i will watch them next year. i'm not going to suddenly start barracking for nissan though, because i can't stand rick kelly. i also doubt they will be at the pointy end of the field. they'll be mid pack like they are now. if they can't be at the pointy end of the field with existing technology, they are going to struggle with all new stuff, even with nissan helping them. at the end of the day, it is still their (kelly brothers) engineers who have to set the cars up on race day, and the drivers have to give them the right feedback as to what they want.

so it will still be FPR and 888 at the pointy end, possibly HRT as well, and SBR will be making up the top 10 i think.

im keen to support it just thought it would be a bit more exciting looking than that.

like the graphics on the sumo power gtr every one has copied them. the original nissan racing colours from the 80/90s people copy them. it just doesnt jump out of the crowd