Rb Engine Track Work Temp.

jnrevo

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have trouble getting my oil over 75 on a filthy day in traffic, even using thermostat plate! on a cold winter night oil sits around 50 degrees on highway 60 in traffic

Wow 50 on a cold night? Mine never did that even with 9.5ltrs of oil, the thermo should be keeping some temp in there you'd think.

In saying that it would take a good 10-15mins to reach 70+ though

Yeah as said... Was that on the 40 degree days? :)

Around town on a 25 degree day once warmed up - Oil low 80 / Water low 70s.

Went for a quick drive today, a bit colder than previous few days haha

Anyway temps were not far off that today, oil around 85 and water around 75. Seems it just was that farking hot earlier this week. Still gotta look at ducting through the front bar though.

Wow 50 on a cold night? Mine never did that even with 9.5ltrs of oil, the thermo should be keeping some temp in there you'd think.

In saying that it would take a good 10-15mins to reach 70+ though

Yep, When I plumb heat exchanger back in ill see if it helps. It also takes 15 mins to get out over 60. Taken at bottom of sump too.

It's always going to be slow heating oil in the sump pan. Sensors in the block receive radiated heat through the cast iron as well as the oils temperature. A dry sump for instance with no heater in the tank can take 45mins to reach 60 degrees. The greater the volume the longer it will take to heat up.

If your going to measure oil temp in the sump (which I don't agree with, took my variables)

It should ideally be done at the top inch of the oil level. Thin hotter oil will sit ontop of the cooler thicker oil. In my supercar we have a sensor top and bottom of the tank there can be 15-20 deg difference top to bottom just having the engine running not even on thr track, the explanation I got from KRE (engine builders for high end race engines) was that the oil can and will have hot and cold spots that change viscosity. Those two sensors should be used to take an average.

While we are on the subject of using coolers/heat exchangers etc..

im planning on installing a fuel cooler due to the large amout of heat that generated by having twin pumps inside of my surge tank.

As far as i can see i have 3 options

1. Run a fuel cooler and have the core sitting somewhere up the front behind the front bar

2. Run a fuel cooler and have the core mouted somewhere under the car in the return line and have ducting with a mesh screen for protection

3. Heat is disipated from the fuel through hard lines that are run in a snake pattern across the front of the radiator/intercooler. Not sure how many people have seen this but i have come accross it in my experiences working on heavy diesel equipment.

A cooler core is by far the best way.

Problem is through that the fuel travels through the cooler far to quickly to dissipate heat effectivly.

The longer its in the cooler the more heat it can dissipate.

So the snaked alloy line becomes a viable option because you can make it 2m long by snaking it around and hence increasing the dissipation time of the fuel. (Its going to take longer to get through a 2m tube than a cooler which is 4inches long.

Surface area of the cooler is probably less than 2m of alloy tube as well.

Install a temp sensor in your tank and test both methods.

Brad if I was to run a cooler, where would be the best place to install it, front of the car or underneath it. More efficient cooling could be achieved through ducting yes? Another advantage of the hard piping that I can see is that its far less likely to by damaged by rocks and stones then what a cooler core would be

How so Alex?, like I said its been done before I don't see how it would be an issue

Excuse my ignorance, what's the pros of cooler fuel? Is it just to lower fuel surge tank temps?

not so much to lower the fuel in the surge tank as its the surge tank that heats the fuel, but to cool the fuel that's going into the engine. When the fuel gets hot the performance of the engine drops... not such a big deal on the street but I know that Unigroup have invested in a fuel cooler in their RX7 race car due to the back to back results of hotter and cooler fuel

Diesel is no where near as flammable as petrol/E85. I don't think it would be an issue on those machines. However, (and not wishing it upon you at all) if you were to go up the back of someone, into a wall, or strike wildlife, I would not want a pressurised fuel line right at the front of the car.

Would there be some fuel - water exchanger options that could be mounted compactly in the rear somewhere?

Diesel is no where near as flammable as petrol/E85. I don't think it would be an issue on those machines. However, (and not wishing it upon you at all) if you were to go up the back of someone, into a wall, or strike wildlife, I would not want a pressurised fuel line right at the front of the car.

Would there be some fuel - water exchanger options that could be mounted compactly in the rear somewhere?

that's why I have come here to ask mate, im sure something like that could be done. Ive never seen it done nore do I know how cost/performance effective that would be.. If it was to be done then I would use the return line to the surge tank between the cooler so there would be less pressure I guess. I do see your point about running up the back of some one...Ill check it out now Pauly :)

I would expect that the amount of heat that needs to be removed from the fuel is not huge, and so you may well be able to make a good job of it with just a smallish core in the return line, even without great airflow (ie, fairly well protected with mesh). If you mounted it on an angle so that you could add a small scoop/duct and have the through flow air escape out the back side, then you have an upgrade path in case it doesn't do enough cooling.

You might find that running the return line under the floor in a snake pattern with a sheet of 1mm ally welded under it would work too. The tube would need to be welded to the ally sheet along almost its whole length to gain good thermal contact, and then the sheet can act as both a sort of protective shield and also a big heat sink surface. Probably a hell of a lot easier to just use a core.

This is my fuel cooler. Not an awesome pic but you get the idea.

P6110312.jpg

Its a Setrab core with dual spal fans. Its fitted inline with the return line from the rail to the surge tank. Fuel temp sensor will be placed just before the cooler.

I plan to make up a duct from the rear quarter window to the front of the core through the firewall using some sort of flexi hose. It should be pretty effective at taking a reasonable amount of heat out of the fuel. I did NOT want to mount it anywhere under the car where it could potentially get smashed.

This is my fuel cooler. Not an awesome pic but you get the idea.

P6110312.jpg

Its a Setrab core with dual spal fans. Its fitted inline with the return line from the rail to the surge tank. Fuel temp sensor will be placed just before the cooler.

I plan to make up a duct from the rear quarter window to the front of the core through the firewall using some sort of flexi hose. It should be pretty effective at taking a reasonable amount of heat out of the fuel. I did NOT want to mount it anywhere under the car where it could potentially get smashed.

Wow!

Wow!

yep that's what I was thinking. Ill go with keeping it simple and install a cooler core.. just need to figure out where is the safest place to put it where it can get air. cheers for the replys guys