SAU Community

R32 Gt-R V-Spec & V-Spec Ii Register (Inc N1 V-Spec & V-Spec Ii Models)

With regard to

he everybody,

How can you tell if your skyline is a vspec N1? What gives it away?

Hi Jason,

Have a quick look back at page 1 of this thread for info regarding 'V-Spec' N1's - there is some information regarding the 'model' number stamped on the blue plate on the firewall in the engine bay.

With regard to non-'V-Spec' N1's (i.e. the 1991 models), according to http://www.users.on.net/~goofyhsk/info/chassis_plate.html the blue plate model number should be KBNR32RXFS7 ZN (I believe that the ZN is required at the end to qualify as an N1, which is contrary to the info from that page, but then again it is incomplete with regard to option codes). There is an option code list and model code list in FAST but my 32 bit copy got thrown out with my 32 bit laptop. Chef, can you help with this? Your Japanese is probably better than mine.

The model code on the blue plate is the only way to determine 100% if an R32 GT-R is an N1 model. Everything else can be faked.

There are some very nice rides in this thread!!

They also made a 'standard' R32 GT-R N1 in 1992 as well. My car is one of these, a 7/92 build N1. Very original car with all dealer paperwork and salesmans card, owner books and shaken certificates since new. It too has had the AC retrofitted but still retains the oil cooler, the condensor core has been shortened to fit next to it. As mjtown has said, the ZN on the build plate is the most definite way of identification. If I was looking for a fake check the washer bottle for evidence of the rear washer pump and see if the pump wiring is still taped to the wiring harness for it.

Not everything in this article is correct. The overall idea of the article has the right theme, but there is alot of incorrect information. I have done an extensive amount of internet research on R32 N1s. There is almost no reliable information from Nissan regarding the specifications of the R32 N1s. There are alot of people on the internet (like this article) with opinions of what there were and what they were not. So it is incredibly hard to know what is correct and what is not.

1 - When the V Spec was released, you could purchase it in stock V Spec form, Nismo form or N1. No idea what the additional cost was to spec Nismo or N1 (would be very interesting to know if anyone could find that out). I cant completely confirm this, but it seems unlikely to me that Nissan did not sell 1 N1 during the entire production run of the V Spec (I) (which would also mean that they must have sold about 100 V Spec IIs). Dont know if you could buy a V Spec N1 with Nismo options?

2 - N1s didnt come with back coot lips, or Nismo side skirts. They are both part of the Nismo option. However it does seem as though N1s have a Nismo front lip on the bonnet and Nismo bumper vents.

3 - The specifications on the engines are really up in the air. Most people believe that N1s have an N1 block, N1 turbos (steel exhaust turbines), N1 Oil pump, N1 Water pump, N1 head and cams so on and so forth. Im sure that this is the case in the R33-34 N1s. However no where in any Nissan publication does it say any of this for an R32, that i can find. I have even had japanese friends read through alot of japanese literature to see if it is buried somewhere in there, still no joy. If anyone can confirm this either way with proof from Nissan, that would be awesome!!! Otherwise hopefully i will be able to shed some more light on it in a month or so when i get my car. But again, my car is 20 years old, so i have no idea what has been changed on it. So it will be hard for me to 100% conclusively confirm, that anything on my car is ex factory.

4- N1s all had rear seats. They were not delivered without seats.

5 - No N1s had ABS or A/C as standard, however you could definitely option A/C back into the car.

Aside from that, from what i can tell, the cars were very similar to a V Spec. Aside from the bonnet lip, bumper vents and deleted rear wiper, you could not really tell them apart. On the inside, the gauge cluster surround was different, there was no radio controls, or rear wiper controls. In the engine bay, there is no ABS unit. The only way you can really tell it is an N1 is from the blue chassis plate.

Not everything in this article is correct. The overall idea of the article has the right theme, but there is alot of incorrect information.

2 - N1s didnt come with back coot lips, or Nismo side skirts. They are both part of the Nismo option.

^^ This! :yes:

However it does seem as though N1s have a Nismo front lip on the bonnet and Nismo bumper vents.

I still believe the N1's came in stock form, body kit wise.

Only the Nismo Editions came with the body kit from factory.

So the 2 Air Ducts for the front bar / Bonnet Lip Spoiler / 3 Piece Side Skirts / Boot Lip Spoiler are what make up the Nismo Body kit.

They are only factory options that customer put on when they purchase their V-Spec / V-Spec II / N1's.

^^ This! :yes:

I still believe the N1's came in stock form, body kit wise.

Only the Nismo Editions came with the body kit from factory.

So the 2 Air Ducts for the front bar / Bonnet Lip Spoiler / 3 Piece Side Skirts / Boot Lip Spoiler are what make up the Nismo Body kit.

They are only factory options that customer put on when they purchase their V-Spec / V-Spec II / N1's.

You may well be right with that. To be fair, the bumber vents and bonnet lip are observations that i have made with regards to the N1s that i have seen in pictures. They all seem to have bonnet lips and bumper vents.

Like this

http://ucar.carview.yahoo.co.jp/model/nissan/skyline-gtr/CU0776092169/

Mine is the same

You may well be right with that. To be fair, the bumber vents and bonnet lip are observations that i have made with regards to the N1s that i have seen in pictures. They all seem to have bonnet lips and bumper vents.

Like this

http://ucar.carview.yahoo.co.jp/model/nissan/skyline-gtr/CU0776092169/

Mine is the same

Interesting!

Very clean too :thumbsup:

I think you might be on to something...

u49o.jpg

At first I saw...

qtct.jpg

Then with further research... It has Nismo Front Bar and Bonnet Lip.

And just to clarify with the body kits.

iwt9.jpg

Stock.

ws7a.jpg

V-Spec.

qtk8.jpg

V-Spec II.

hkr7.jpg
Nismo.

This is interesting. My R32 V-Spec II has front N1 vents, front bonnet lip, rear boot lip, rear pods and the normal 3 piece side skirts. It also came with a complete Alpine N'Fit Sound System, with illuminated rear speakers (which are blown). I know for a fact that the front bar was put on after the car came out of the factory, so i can only assume that the other body pieces were as well.

This is interesting. My R32 V-Spec II has front N1 vents, front bonnet lip, rear boot lip, rear pods and the normal 3 piece side skirts. It also came with a complete Alpine N'Fit Sound System, with illuminated rear speakers (which are blown). I know for a fact that the front bar was put on after the car came out of the factory, so i can only assume that the other body pieces were as well.

Previous owner in Japan would have just factory optioned a Nismo Body Kit on it.

Not everything in this article is correct. The overall idea of the article has the right theme, but there is alot of incorrect information. I have done an extensive amount of internet research on R32 N1s. There is almost no reliable information from Nissan regarding the specifications of the R32 N1s. There are alot of people on the internet (like this article) with opinions of what there were and what they were not. So it is incredibly hard to know what is correct and what is not.

1 - When the V Spec was released, you could purchase it in stock V Spec form, Nismo form or N1. No idea what the additional cost was to spec Nismo or N1 (would be very interesting to know if anyone could find that out). I cant completely confirm this, but it seems unlikely to me that Nissan did not sell 1 N1 during the entire production run of the V Spec (I) (which would also mean that they must have sold about 100 V Spec IIs). Dont know if you could buy a V Spec N1 with Nismo options?

2 - N1s didnt come with back coot lips, or Nismo side skirts. They are both part of the Nismo option. However it does seem as though N1s have a Nismo front lip on the bonnet and Nismo bumper vents.

3 - The specifications on the engines are really up in the air. Most people believe that N1s have an N1 block, N1 turbos (steel exhaust turbines), N1 Oil pump, N1 Water pump, N1 head and cams so on and so forth. Im sure that this is the case in the R33-34 N1s. However no where in any Nissan publication does it say any of this for an R32, that i can find. I have even had japanese friends read through alot of japanese literature to see if it is buried somewhere in there, still no joy. If anyone can confirm this either way with proof from Nissan, that would be awesome!!! Otherwise hopefully i will be able to shed some more light on it in a month or so when i get my car. But again, my car is 20 years old, so i have no idea what has been changed on it. So it will be hard for me to 100% conclusively confirm, that anything on my car is ex factory.

4- N1s all had rear seats. They were not delivered without seats.

5 - No N1s had ABS or A/C as standard, however you could definitely option A/C back into the car.

Aside from that, from what i can tell, the cars were very similar to a V Spec. Aside from the bonnet lip, bumper vents and deleted rear wiper, you could not really tell them apart. On the inside, the gauge cluster surround was different, there was no radio controls, or rear wiper controls. In the engine bay, there is no ABS unit. The only way you can really tell it is an N1 is from the blue chassis plate.

I agree given the very little reliable factory Nissan Japan/Nismo information available for the N1 R32's, it is difficult to know exactly what is fact and what is fiction:

a) how many numbers were made in each year (We know total 228 total)

b) what year they were available

(1991-Yes, 1992-Yes,1993 VSPEC?, 1994 VSPECII-Yes)

c) what an N1 could have been available with as "standard equipment, "additional options", "delete options" etc.

Standard- No radio controls, or rear wiper or controls, No ABS unit, No A/C, gauge cluster surround was different

Front Nismo bumper vents, and Nismo bonnet lips were mentioned as a popular fitment from factory

Additional Options- A/C add back

Additional Nismo rear additional deck spoiler and side skirts available in VSPECII version.

d) if they were issued with documentation (build sheets outlining how each car left the factory) and if this documentation still remains in an archive somewhere. As most of the N1's were reportedly bought by race teams, it is unlikely that this very specific information (if ever available) was kept by the race teams. I note that there are above examples bought from Japan with some documentation, service history, books etc.

It is has been one of those things that has driven me crazy over the years and nobody I have spoken to, no documentation available anywhere in print or internet can confirm or deny certain things about these 'ghost' cars.

R32N1, when your car arrives, can you check things like N1 block code, N1 turbos, N1 water/oil pumps, oil cooler etc and other interesting things that may be different to a base model GTR, VSPEC's, Nismo editions. I would love to know.

Blur, can you give us some more info on what your 1992 N1 has with any of the above items and more?

Below is some eye candy. N1 VSPECII.

post-38455-0-39098900-1376039034_thumb.jpgpost-38455-0-60091100-1376039064_thumb.jpg

Edited by RS4StagMan

The front pic that you have just postes has been my desktop background for 4 years. It has been my daily inspiration to save and save to one day own this car! Im incredibly proud to have finally bought one. I cant wait till it is in my hands.

When I get it, will give everyone a full run down on what it actually has. Hopefully I will be able to tell what was factory fitted vs what is aftermarket. You guys will be the first to know!

Cool discussion guys. Here's my take on things.

The V-Spec models were 'order only', you went to the dealer and ordered your car. It has become obvious to me that within that process there was a degree of flexibility with regard to options that you could specify. Airbag, paint colour and soundsystem are the obvious items (and my '93 dealer brochure confirms that), however it seems that body options were also a choice, and I think that it is entirely reasonable to think that that would be the case - if you're ordering a car from the production line then it's reasonable to think that you could select body part options. I know that a friend's V-Spec here in Adelaide has a factory fitted hood lip and bar with no additional vents whereas mine has the N1 bar with additional vents and no hood lip. Mine has no Nismo boot spoiler but I saw a V-Spec yesterday with a factory fitted Nismo spoiler. I reckon that the customer just ordered their car to their spec and it had the different body parts added as it rolled down the line.

The most extreme example of this would be going for the N1 specification (which seems to be an informal thing insofar as there is no known brochure specific to the N1) and then adding aircon and body options back in. My take on it, in the absence of any hard evidence, is that the N1 spec was the following:

- N1 engine (it makes no sense that a car would be given the model designation 'N1' and NOT have an N1 spec engine with N1 block, N1 oil and water pumps, steel blade turbos etc)

- Deleted stereo

- Deleted ABS

- Deleted rear washer

- One layer white paint

- N1 front bar

- N1 hood lip

With regard to the body accessories ('body kit' items), some of them have both N1 and Nismo designations. In the absence of an N1 brochure or any other dealer documentation, I believe that there are clues to be found in the part numbers. This is what I get when I find them them individually in FAST (I've copied images from www.epcdata.ru via Amayama because they look nicer):

Front Bar:

The vent items 62034 and 62035 appear on the FAST microfiche as 'N1', however the part numbers for these are:

6225605U08 'finisher, front fascia RH' for N1 (after August 1991)

6225606U00 'finisher, front fascia RH' for Nismo (before August 1991)

6225705U08 'finisher, front fascia LH' for N1.

6225705U00 'finisher, front fascia LH' for Nismo.

It would seems that the part designation within Nissan changed from Nismo to N1, presumably when the first N1's were produced in 1991.620B_001.png

Hood Lip:

The hood lip item 65822 appears on the FAST microfiche without an N1 or Nismo designation, however the part numbers for this item are:

6582005U28 'Molding, front hood' for N1

6582006U25 'Molding, front hood' for Nismo

Again, it would seems that the designation within Nissan changed from Nismo to N1, presumably when the first N1's were produced in 1991.

650-_001.png

Side Skirts:

The rear sections of the side skirts appear on the FAST microfiche as 'Nismo' (see 76861UA and 76861 VA respectively below). It should be noted that the front and middle parts of the left and right side skirts are the same part for all cars. There is only a Nismo part number for these items:

G685706U10 'mudguard, centre rear RL' for Nismo

G685606U10 'mudguard, centre rear RH' for Nismo

767-_001.png

Rear Spoiler:

The hood lip item 96030P appears on the FAST microfiche with a Nismo designation. There is only a Nismo part number for this item:

K603206U00 'spoiler assembly, rear' for Nismo only.

There is no N1 equivalent part number.

843-_001.png

SO - it would seem that the only N1 parts are the hood lips and front bar with additional vents, and they should appear on all N1's... HOWEVER, the Nismo spoiler and Nismo side skirts may appear on some N1 cars.

I think that the simple explanation for that is that some buyers specified that when they ordered their cars, just as much as some specified an air conditioner. Also, some cars may have had those Nissan parts added later - which is perfectly fine in my mind.

All of the above body optioning will also apply to the 'standard' V-Spec and V-Spec II cars, which form part of the subject of this thread.

Edit: See http://www.downloads...2GTR Vspec2.pdf for the 1994 GT-R brochure and note that page 27 shows the boot spoiler as an option. This is the brochure for the standard GT-R, V-Spec and V-Spec II, all of which were available that year. Somewhere in the Japanese text it may say that other body options are available too?

• Like 3

There are some very nice rides in this thread!!

They also made a 'standard' R32 GT-R N1 in 1992 as well. My car is one of these, a 7/92 build N1. Very original car with all dealer paperwork and salesmans card, owner books and shaken certificates since new. It too has had the AC retrofitted but still retains the oil cooler, the condensor core has been shortened to fit next to it. As mjtown has said, the ZN on the build plate is the most definite way of identification. If I was looking for a fake check the washer bottle for evidence of the rear washer pump and see if the pump wiring is still taped to the wiring harness for it.

I'm pretty damned excited to find out that there's another N1 in Australia dude, and also that it is a non V-Spec model. Can I ask a favour? Can you please add some information to the thread per my first post on page 1? I think that we would all love to see some photos. I'm just as interested to find out what the model number is from the blue plate on the firewall - it seems I'm becoming a model number geek.

Awesome Jason - another V-Spec II. Can you please also add info per page 1 of this thread:

• Model of car (i.e. 'V-Spec', 'V-Spec II', 'N1 V-Spec' or 'N1 V-Spec II') - a build date would be good too, but if you don't know it we can help out with that.
  • 'Chassis No' code (i.e. VIN number) from the chassis plate
  • 'Model' code from the chassis plate
  • Photo of the blue chassis plate that is fixed to the car in the driver's side of the engine bay
  • Where the car is located - state/county/rough location and country

With regard to the stereo, the 1994 brochure has an optional Sony disc stacker and head unit. See http://www.downloads.gtr.org.uk/Brochures/R32GTR%20Vspec2.pdf - this is the brochure for your car. Please also note that the same set of photos shows the boot spoiler as an option. Somewhere in the Japanese text it may say that other body options are available too?

• Like 1

I put a pic up in the rare Skylines thread a little while ago, didn't put the info in here as it wasnt a Vspec but I will do a more formal post soon.

I'm pretty damned excited to find out that there's another N1 in Australia dude, and also that it is a non V-Spec model. Can I ask a favour? Can you please add some information to the thread per my first post on page 1? I think that we would all love to see some photos. I'm just as interested to find out what the model number is from the blue plate on the firewall - it seems I'm becoming a model number geek.

I put a pic up in the rare Skylines thread a little while ago, didn't put the info in here as it wasnt a Vspec but I will do a more formal post soon.

No worries Adrian - I figure that there's a bit of crossover with the N1 model spanning both standard and V-Spec models, so it would be great to have that info here. It's certainly not inappropriate.

Cheers!

Great discussion guys! And some good info as well.

Someone said a few posts back that getting info on N1's in near impossible, and i can 100% confirm this.

I've been in contact with both NISMO and Nissan to try and get any info at all both in general and about my specific N1 (92), and its turned up nothing at all.

It really does seem like they had no idea that these would become a version people would be interested in down the track.

The one bit of info and the only info i did manage to get, was a somewhat limited spec sheet of how the car rolled off the factory floor, mechanicals wise, and it does confirm, my chassis left the production line with no ABS.

I tried to get something to confirm a matching numbers car, and the said they only release engine details to the police :(

still haven't given up though, just trying to find that next angle :)