SAU Community

Food - What Is Good, What Is Ok, And What Is Really Bad For Us

Husky33

yes I'm stronger, but it's making me question what I should be doing.... I've lost all my definition on this weights program, for what, strength?

I should be seeing positive results in 3 months, not the total opposite

So unhappy with how I look at the moment

Edited by L33SH

are you stronger?

maybe start a build thread in this section.

list what you lift, reps, sets, food you are eating drinking.

pics if you want.

at least, get a caliper fat test done.

Timeline goes like this:

- Leesh was exercising 6 days a week of cardio.

- Leesh had abdominal wall definition due to low bf%.

- Leesh wants bigger, more visible abs and to be stronger; consults Birds.

- Birds says I'll put you on a 4 day a week strength program, but you need to supplement it with more food and cut off the cardio because it's counteractive. You will be noticeably stronger in 1 month and notice physical changes within 3 months, as long as you follow the program to a tee.

- Leesh ups food intake and continues cardio based classes and strength training at the same time, unable to do deadlifts and squats because she doesn't know how to do those properly.

- Birds recommends watching tutorial vids or having someone explain them in person.

- Leesh sees strength gains in some exercises, except for bench press where she refuses to ask for a spot from someone else to do 1RM training.

- Leesh complains about lack of progress and diminished definition.

- Birds says YNDTFP.

- Leesh says I'm doing what you told me to do.

- Birds says YNDTFP.

- Birds says go back to 6 days of cardio and old diet, until Birds can show you how to do all the exercises properly. This will at least make you happy with your body again, which is so far from fat it's not funny.

She's lost a bit of her definition but actually looks healthier IMO and is nowhere near as high BF as she is leading on. I would guess about 17-18%, which is quite low for your average female.

I do eat fresh natural food

I do not eat cakes, pies or chocolate

I'm not losing weight and I exercise 6 days a week

I also don't really eat that much during the day, breakfast is oats, snack is muesli bar, lunch is fruit and yoghurt or a salad roll, afternoon is protein shake, after workout is protein shake and dinner is usually pasta/rice/stiry fry

:(

this is why I'm confused.

Breakfast = carbs

Snack = carbs

Lunch = carbs

Dinner = carbs

Easiest way to get a grip of it, do as TTT said and work out your macros. Puts you right on track for what you want to achieve.

Without knowing what quantities, I'm Gunna say you aren't eating enough of the right macronutrient groups I.e. protein & fat.

Birds diet approach works for him, he has been doing it for years, fine tuning what he needs to get where he wants.....

As Markos' works for his lifters to get stronger.

Macros is just like asking someone for a workout plan. Someone has done the hard work and made calculations, all you have to do is plug in your numbers and presto, baseline guide on what macronutrients to eat.

E.g, 120g protein = eat at least a 300g steak a day.

50g fat = oils, fats in the steak, fats in the chips that go with the steak.

200g Carbs = oats, pasta, veges, fruit, yoghurt, roll.

It's still all the basics, eat animals and things animals eat preferably, but it points you towards how much of those.

1kg of meat and 2kg of veg, ain't going to be the same requirement for a 60kg person and 120kg person.

Breakfast = carbs

Snack = carbs

Lunch = carbs

Dinner = carbs

Easiest way to get a grip of it, do as TTT said and work out your macros. Puts you right on track for what you want to achieve.

Without knowing what quantities, I'm Gunna say you aren't eating enough of the right macronutrient groups I.e. protein & fat.

Birds diet approach works for him, he has been doing it for years, fine tuning what he needs to get where he wants.....

As Markos' works for his lifters to get stronger.

Macros is just like asking someone for a workout plan. Someone has done the hard work and made calculations, all you have to do is plug in your numbers and presto, baseline guide on what macronutrients to eat.

E.g, 120g protein = eat at least a 300g steak a day.

50g fat = oils, fats in the steak, fats in the chips that go with the steak.

200g Carbs = oats, pasta, veges, fruit, yoghurt, roll.

It's still all the basics, eat animals and things animals eat preferably, but it points you towards how much of those.

1kg of meat and 2kg of veg, ain't going to be the same requirement for a 60kg person and 120kg person.

How do I do this?

http://iifym.com/

It really is as simple as following the leads on that site.

Macros form the basis for EVERYONE'S diet. Whether they like it or not, or whether they count it or not.

Cool thanks for your help, Jangles.

In relation to your other post I have 2 protein shakes a day and I get protein from leafy greens like spinach, also mushrooms, broccoli, eggs, tofu, chickpeas and lentils. If there is anything else non meat you suggest I should be eating, let me know :) thanks

Edited by L33SH

Caloriss and macros are the most important thing.

Food sources important but inly for micro nutrient content.

I see plenty of people over eat whole foods and not lose weight.

L33sh that is hardly a diet. 6 days training? Such low cals and low protein prepare for metabolic fail time.

L33sh that is hardly a diet. 6 days training? Such low cals and low protein prepare for metabolic fail time.

I don't even know what metabolic fail time means :(

• Like 1

Cool thanks for your help, Jangles.

In relation to your other post I have 2 protein shakes a day and I get protein from leafy greens like spinach, also mushrooms, broccoli, eggs, tofu, chickpeas and lentils. If there is anything else non meat you suggest I should be eating, let me know :) thanks

from my vege knowledge, youve got it covered. As long as you hit your required protein target it doesnt really matter.

optimum is to chew your food.

Edited by jangles

Youll likely yoyo diet and in a sense lower your metabolism by losing excessive lean mass while retaining stubborn bodyfat.

Well what I posted earlier is my regular diet, plus I have not consumed meat in 17 years, so maybe that's already happened.

What do you suggest? I eat more? From talking to other people, they seem think I eat enough?

Well what I posted earlier is my regular diet, plus I have not consumed meat in 17 years, so maybe that's already happened.

What do you suggest? I eat more? From talking to other people, they seem think I eat enough?

Protein is protein leesh, if you need to supplement it, so be it....

Optimise it using the link I gave you and you'll be laughing at how easy it is.

Protein is protein leesh, if you need to supplement it, so be it....

Optimise it using the link I gave you and you'll be laughing at how easy it is.

Yeah I had a look at iifym last night and did all my calculations. Apparently I should be consuming 1590 calories a day

Yeah I had a look at iifym last night and did all my calculations. Apparently I should be consuming 1590 calories a day

now to forget about calories and hit the macro targets.

How heavy are you?

Doesn't seem like much