SAU Community

Forced Performance Hta Turbos

Mine made 530hp with a 3.5" exhaust. Pretty much straight through as track only.

Not much in it between my result and Matt's.

Thanks for confirming ;) They were pretty close!

Given we both have restrictions they may have a bit more in them, but mine will be staying where it is!

Compared to the 3037, this turbo is amazing down low and the additional power is awesome! I bet you are glad you made the choice to go HTA ;) You blitzed the 370kw target hehe

• Like 1

^ Told ya so matty...

HTA turbos FTW!

Yeah i remember you telling me that BEFORE the first tune which is about a year ago now! I am glad i went the HTA3076 though, such a nice all round turbo! I think the 3582 would be too much to enjoy on the street!

Mat - maybe hahahaha.

Mine made 530hp with a 3.5" exhaust. Pretty much straight through as track only.

Not much in it between my result and Matt's.

Yeah agreed, as I said - near the limit and a testament to how much of a match the hotside and coldside are to each other on this turbo... both suited the to best the other can give by the looks. Be interesting to see what happened if Mat's intercooler was in place of your GTR one, or vice versa with the exhaust... though no doubt it'd be finding the last kws that can possibly be made :D

It's clear that 390rwkw is where the going gets tough with this turbo :)

Its still a good benchmark for the RB engine! Its 35r power with better delivery than the 30! WITHOUT any fancy twin scroll etc!

I guess the thought of the TS HTA3582 would be pretty insane, but once again i think that would be beyond usable power for street! Great for drags etc....

I'm pretty confident I can squeeze 400kw though.

Some new coils, a bigger cooler and my tuner this time around leaning on it a bit more will make enough difference.

Probably 2 weeks away..

When your making 280kW @ approx 4,000-4,100RPM and 390kW up top.. that is an AWESOME setup. Perfect for street/track/strip/life.

I'f I owned a skyline, this is the setup I would go for.

^ Told ya so matty...

HTA turbos FTW!

I've been evangelizing about them here for a while too, Bri73y was the first here to take the plunge on them (with the aim for 20psi by 4000rpm and 370rwkw) and it sounds like it has helped him meet his targets - 34GeeTeeTee definitely seems pretty happy too! What I'd *love* to see is something like a HTA Super94 on a well built RB... would be insanity!

I am ultra ultra glad they are performing like I had indicated - otherwise I'd not be able to set foot on Aussie soil :domokun: Which would suck, as I am really looking forward to finally getting to WTAC this year!

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident I can squeeze 400kw though.

Some new coils, a bigger cooler and my tuner this time around leaning on it a bit more will make enough difference.

Probably 2 weeks away..

I reckon you can get there! The combo is right.... You have a better chance of me at reaching the target!

Was your boost running similar too mine?

I've been evangelizing about them here for a while, Bri73y was the first here to take the plunge on them (with the aim for 20psi by 4000rpm and 370rwkw) and it sounds like it has helped him meet his targets - 34GeeTeeTee definitely seems pretty happy too! What I'd *love* to see is something like a HTA Super94 on a well built RB... would be insanity!

I agree. I'd love to see something HTA3794 sized on a well built RB. Im rather sure I read that ETS and English Racing are running twin HTA3794's on thier street/drag R35 GTR.....

When your making 280kW @ approx 4,000-4,100RPM and 390kW up top.. that is an AWESOME setup. Perfect for street/track/strip/life.

I'f I owned a skyline, this is the setup I would go for.

Lol i know! I remember someone picking on my last result with the 3037 as it was just shy of 200kw @ 4000rpm :P

I've been evangelizing about them here for a while, Bri73y was the first here to take the plunge on them (with the aim for 20psi by 4000rpm and 370rwkw) and it sounds like it has helped him meet his targets - 34GeeTeeTee definitely seems pretty happy too! What I'd *love* to see is something like a HTA Super94 on a well built RB... would be insanity!

Yep, and its Lithium / Bri73y to blame for me taking the punt too! BUT i think people can see its a combo that REALLY works! I think its 20psi at 3700 on mine, i imagine Bri73y may be a tad better?

Lol i know! I remember someone picking on my last result with the 3037 as it was just shy of 200kw @ 4000rpm :P

Well 200kW @ 4,000rpm seems to be the benchmark for a quick street car.. Im glad the new turbo allowed you to punch well beyond the 200kW @ 4,000rpm barrier!

I agree. I'd love to see something HTA3794 sized on a well built RB. Im rather sure I read that ETS and English Racing are running twin HTA3794's on thier street/drag R35 GTR.....

A large percentage of the big guy 8s/170+R35s are running twin HTAs, typically either HTA3586 or HTA3794s for srsbsns but HTA3076s are common too. The only R35 to have done >180mph so far did was Boost Logic with 94HTAs and low profile tyres with issues getting the power down the whole length of the strip, and there are at least two 8s GTRs doing so on HTA3586s. Boost Logic, ETS, Panda Performance, T1 Race Development, and JM Imports are just some of the leading R35 tuners which run them.

Yeah the dynamics of an inline 4 are very different to an inline 6 and particularly when the 6 has a shorter stroke and 20% greater capacity .

SK Gary used to compare engine size difference as in what percentage of extra revs the smaller one has to turn to pump approx the same amount of air . It will never work out real world because the 6 gets a power stroke every 120 crank degrees where the 4 has 180 between power strokes . Its probably fair to say that an Evo spec 4G63T makes more torque per litre than an RB25 does mid range and being AWD means they get it to the ground more easily .

I'm not so sure Mitsubishi intended the 4G63 itself to be a Grp A rally engine because that engine goes back a fair way , being a medium rev (restrictor limited) class means big revs and piston innertia are not a big problem and having a short (along the crank) engine makes it compact overall . Maybe the slightly longer stroke than bore size was an advantage when looking for lots of torque without lots of revs . Other members of this engine family like the 1800cc version in the Evo 3 era Lancer GSR I think were also similar bore/stroke ratios .

I think the RB25 and 26 grew out of RB20 sized heads and blocks and there's limits what stroke you can get into that deck height . Also the length of the block determines how big the bores can get so its not like you can reliably get 89 bore with whatever stroke gets you 2568ccs into an RB26 engine .

Anyhow that aside I'd reckon a 400Kw 2L 4 would be a bid wild for anything with number plates . Doable but I'd rather do it with an RB25 or 26 because at least its usable off boost and around the sun dial .

Yeah power to the ground and I can't get full bore with 245 Michelin PSS and supposedly 271 at the wheels .

My gut feeling is that the 3073HTA in an 82 housing should be a good all rounder in an RB25 provided you don't mind having what looks like a GT3582R under the lid .

A .

I would love to see the difference an HTA3073 would make, it is hard to tell if it would be enough response to bother as is sounds (after the 50kph from 3rd conversation I had recently with Mat) like it might no be necessary. I wish I had convinced someone closer to home to go HTA3076 so I could tell first hand haha.

I would love to see the difference an HTA3073 would make, it is hard to tell if it would be enough response to bother as is sounds (after the 50kph from 3rd conversation I had recently with Mat) like it might no be necessary. I wish I had convinced someone closer to home to go HTA3076 so I could tell first hand haha.

Will have to get you some video or datalogs or something so you can enjoy ;) Its going to take some relearning to drive i think :woot:

Unrelated to the actual turbo discussion in here, but I thought I'd comment on disco's engine comments.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that bore/stroke relationship has anything really to do with whether the engine likes to rev or whether it will be torquey or whether the torque production will preferentially occur at higher or lower revs. None of that actually follows from the bore/stroke ratio.

Sure, short stroke engines can rev, but it doesn't matter how wide the piston is at that same stroke (apart from weight considerations). There is a great deal of real information out there on the net you can read about this - not the old wive's tales stuff that most of us have been believing since forever. The real reasons for engines to work one way or another at a given bore or stroke is to do with the amount of valve area you can fit into the bore diameter, and what that relationship looks like across a range of different bore diameters. Hint - bore area (and hence displacement) increases with the square of bore diameter, but the valve curtain area increases at a rate much closer to a linear relationship to the bore diameter.

Also, don't make the mistake in thinking that the RB20 is the prototype RB engine. The RBs evolved out of the L series engines, which of course were available in 2.8L size, and then of course one of the earliest RB engines was the RB30. Sure, the deck height is taller, but the bigger engines at 86mm all have a much bigger bore than the RB20 does. The RB block is substantially oversized for the RB20 displacement. Could have been much more compact if it were intended to be only 2L.