SAU Community

Educated Guess At The Final Tune Results

Nismo 3.2ish

It was very nice to meet you today Pete and it is a nice car you have and a beautifull slice of Australia you live in up there :)

A few things we discussed today where

1) when you get it to Jez do a run before he changes anything so you have a before and after to see any gains

2) get him to check the cam to bucket clearences as they are louder then they should be

3) ask him about the turbo intake pipe to see if he think changing it to a straight 4" pipe with a big single filter would be better then the greddy twin AFM/filter pipe with foam filters

4) cam timing, the inlet cam is 3 deg retarded which is definitely not right, inlet cam should be advanced if anything and I would like to know what they did to the exhaust cam but unfortunately I could see how it was set

Driving the car, it can easily be daily driven between 2-3k and has enough torque to pull the heavy car along without fuss

Did a run from 2000rpm, it pulls along ok from there and just before 3000 you can hear the turbo whinding up them from about 3500 there is big surge of power throught to around 5000 then almost all the urgency disapears as it smoothly revs through to 8000 falling over more and more as it regs through

I'm sure with some time spent on cam timing there are decant gains to be had from this setup

It was very nice to meet you today Pete and it is a nice car you have and a beautifull slice of Australia you live in up there :)

A few things we discussed today where

1) when you get it to Jez do a run before he changes anything so you have a before and after to see any gains

2) get him to check the cam to bucket clearences as they are louder then they should be

3) ask him about the turbo intake pipe to see if he think changing it to a straight 4" pipe with a big single filter would be better then the greddy twin AFM/filter pipe with foam filters

4) cam timing, the inlet cam is 3 deg retarded which is definitely not right, inlet cam should be advanced if anything and I would like to know what they did to the exhaust cam but unfortunately I could see how it was set

Driving the car, it can easily be daily driven between 2-3k and has enough torque to pull the heavy car along without fuss

Did a run from 2000rpm, it pulls along ok from there and just before 3000 you can hear the turbo whinding up them from about 3500 there is big surge of power throught to around 5000 then almost all the urgency disapears as it smoothly revs through to 8000 falling over more and more as it regs through

I'm sure with some time spent on cam timing there are decant gains to be had from this setup

Good to meet you and I hope the driving tips I gave you were taken in the spirit given :)

Thanks for the feedback and I will be sure to pass it on.

I was hoping you would bring your R , maybe some other time :yes: :yes: :cheers:

It was 1 deg at 5:30 at my house this mourning and no way was it going to start with the E85 lol

Lol driving tips, you left

Back there, right

Back there

Lol

Never feel bad about an older wiser head pointing you in the right direction :whistling:

That is interesting to see a second opinion.

The cam timing does seem odd. The lobes are quite aggressive apparently, that would create some noise and possibly never be able to be silent.

Pete, don't confuse things or waste time or money with an e85 tune. You can't buy the stuff, pretend it doesn't exist! Focus on maximising what you have. Then have fun driving it.

Had my car on a Dyno Dynamics on another local tuners.....it made 458kw so not much different than the 467kw it made on the Hub Dyno.

Guessing they had the DD in the mode which estimates engine power as in that mode the tend to read similar to Dynapack, there is no way you will be making that power on a DD the way the typical Oz workshop would run it. No hate, just realistically

Guessing they had the DD in the mode which estimates engine power as in that mode the tend to read similar to Dynapack, there is no way you will be making that power on a DD the way the typical Oz workshop would run it. No hate, just realistically

4x4 Dyna Pack reading the same as a rolling road Dyno at the engine......with the power loss you get through a GTR 4wd system, I wouldn't think so Dan.

I know comparing dynos is a bit pointless, they do read a bit different.....but I don't think it's anywhere near as much as 50kw!

That is interesting to see a second opinion.

The cam timing does seem odd. The lobes are quite aggressive apparently, that would create some noise and possibly never be able to be silent.

Pete, don't confuse things or waste time or money with an e85 tune. You can't buy the stuff, pretend it doesn't exist! Focus on maximising what you have. Then have fun driving it.

It was good for me as well to get the opinion from a bloke that knows about these cars and drives hard, sort of makes me think I might get a bit more of what I want and Mick seems to think I will :)

Would a flex tune interfere with getting the best from the 98 ? I just like the idea of trying it when I go to Sydney , Newcastle and a few other towns that have it, so ?

Once u go e85 you won't go back!

Well, he will. His plan is for a daily car and can't get it anywhere near him at all.

So that's my point, why bother?

There's no downside at all Pete, It's just that I thought with all the money, time and worry invested keep it simple. Get it sorted.

Thrash it.

Enjoy it.

You can always do the flex tune later if curiosity gets the better of you.

Well, he will. His plan is for a daily car and can't get it anywhere near him at all.

So that's my point, why bother?

There's no downside at all Pete, It's just that I thought with all the money, time and worry invested keep it simple. Get it sorted.

Thrash it.

Enjoy it.

You can always do the flex tune later if curiosity gets the better of you.

Too late Ben, I have to feel what difference it makes and might as well do it now so it is all done at the same time, I do not want to do anything else after this work, it is exhausting :sick:

• Like 1

If it's the turbo selection that is causing these issues.... Everything else is irrelevant. See what the new tuner says.

Maybe, but when a bloke that knows his way around these cars suggests the cams are set badly for my car, I tend to believe him, maybe that is because I want to :)

Ethanol sensor. It shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I figure I have setup, I might as well use it :)

How does the car run on , say 30% E85/70% 98 or different combinations. If I understand it properly it would also keep your motor, plugs ect cleaner ???

So there could even be some advantages using it on a casual basis ??

why would they setup the cams wrong? seems like a dangerous game to play.

I am sure they would not do anything to hurt the motor on purpose , as to why the cams are setup like that , they are the only ones that know that. Maybe they think it is better setup like that for some good reason, maybe it is, who knows ?

All I have said was, the car does not drive right for the power it has, even with my setup.

Maybe there is not much more to get unless I change some bolt ons , I will soon find out ?

But at least I had a bloke that knows what he is talking about, look at and drive the car, then add his thoughts to my ramblings :)

I am sure they would not do anything to hurt the motor on purpose , as to why the cams are setup like that , they are the only ones that know that. Maybe they think it is better setup like that for some good reason, maybe it is, who knows ?

All I have said was, the car does not drive right for the power it has, even with my setup.

Maybe there is not much more to get unless I change some bolt ons , I will soon find out ?

But at least I had a bloke that knows what he is talking about, look at and drive the car, then add his thoughts to my ramblings :)

What workshop was he from?