SAU Community

Nismo Vs Quaife Front Lsd R32 Gtr

G’day,

Had a search around couldn’t really see anything that answered it.

Looking for a new diff for my R32 GTR wanted some factual opinions on if the quaife is worth the extra grand or so over the Nismo unit?

Car is primarily used for motorsport, with occasional street driving in saying that I don’t want it to ruin the car for driving on the street.

Reason for upgrade is running a Ruzic now but now erring on the side of caution with loading it up on account of the front diff being stock.

Cheers,

I'm intrigued as to how many people have run them back to back to compare?

Although the rear, Matty from WA has back to backed the GT Pro 1.5 way and the Quaife in his R32. He runs a quaife front and a Ruzic controller. If you look in the for sale section, the GT Pro is up for sale ATM.

I went GT Pro 1.5 way NISMO for my front diff on my build. I won't be able to say anything to compare to even stock as I never drove the car before installing the NISMO unit (rod knock when I got it so it's pretty much full build everything once).

It should be noted that QUAIFE will not offer this diff to the USA unless an order of 10 or more is placed. Trust me I called every shop imaginable here to try to get it and would have preferred the unit over a clutch type.

In my experience with something like a GTR where the front is intermittently used the Quaife TORSEN would be a great application. Geoff from full-race is a believer for sure from his usage on EVO's, etc.

I will have track and street information about the NISMO unit hopefully by the end of the year.

I went GT Pro 1.5 way NISMO for my front diff on my build. I won't be able to say anything to compare to even stock as I never drove the car before installing the NISMO unit (rod knock when I got it so it's pretty much full build everything once).

It should be noted that QUAIFE will not offer this diff to the USA unless an order of 10 or more is placed. Trust me I called every shop imaginable here to try to get it and would have preferred the unit over a clutch type.

In my experience with something like a GTR where the front is intermittently used the Quaife TORSEN would be a great application. Geoff from full-race is a believer for sure from his usage on EVO's, etc.

I will have track and street information about the NISMO unit hopefully by the end of the year.

If you can't get one from the UK (and I would surprised if that were the case) you could get one from Palmside in Christchurch NZ

I was going to be able to get one from the UK, but it was going to be more than double what I paid for the NISMO unit from Japan. Nismo came with bearings, races, and seals, but not any shims and for the $895 USD I paid for it, I am very impressed with quality so far. I should be done with setup today. I made some shims last night and after I get preload and gear bedding checked I'll be in business.

FYI...while we are talking about it, this is THE BEST video for rear end and differential setup I have ever seen (link below). Answers every single question and is similar to our units once you read the shop manual. Get in your mind the fact that you will be putting it together and taking apart and reshimming several times before you start so you won't be disappointed with the amount of work. And don't EVER let anyone tell you you can just swap the diff and keep the same shims. That would be pure dumb luck. I am hoping the only thing that works out in that regard is the pinion depth since I didn't pull that connection apart during all of my build. My diff shims didn't work out at all (so far).

AND this is a picture of the tool that I made for pulling the races. I used a 2-jaw puller and ground some bolts into little hooks thin enough to fit into the grooves. To push (and this is the risky part) I used a flat piece of steel (1/4" thick) and drileld a hole in it to center the puller tool (not really "centered", but you get the idea) It worked perfectly. I know there is a tool for this and found it for $85, but delivery was like 10 days and I'm cheap. Two bolts plus a puller I had already.

post-136202-0-41657000-1435326245_thumb.jpg

post-136202-0-88730900-1435326256_thumb.jpg

Edited by HarrisRacing

• 3 weeks later...

Front is VERY different to the rear though Paul.

I'm intrigued as to how many people have run them back to back to compare?

Probably less people than you have fingers on one hand I reckon!

I'm waiting for Paul to get his car together and I'll come up for a Quaife beating as I'm really interested to see see what it's like compared to how my Nismo was (and I believe, they are both very different)... I think Paul you still have a Nismo rear year or did you go Quaife there too?

Personally, I liked the Nismo (once it had run in after around 700km). It suited how I drove the car - But then I've never used a Quaife to decide on the merits of both overall.

Anyway all the rest of the info is in the other thread which has quite a bit of info in it

I still have the NISMO GT Pro in the rear of mine Ash. It's currently set at Medium which I feel is too much. I know you Racepace guys set it to soft and play around with the plates also? When the box is going in, I'll back the rear off. The extra friction plates in the transfer case will be getting done at the same time.

I still have the NISMO GT Pro in the rear of mine Ash. It's currently set at Medium which I feel is too much. I know you Racepace guys set it to soft and play around with the plates also? When the box is going in, I'll back the rear off. The extra friction plates in the transfer case will be getting done at the same time.

Yeah soft and some plate swapping I believe so it's somewhere in the middle but still locks when needed.

My rear still used to skip at low speed on smooth surfaces

Transfer you won't believe lol. Such a great mod

I know im off topic here a bit. You can install an extra friction plate in the transfer case??? This is possible

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone upgraded the front and rear diffs in the GTS4?

Im running a 33GTR box but still have the same short GTS4 ratios and diffs.

Not sure exatally what i need to order

Street car only do i need to bother?

GTS4 run a LSD rear and open front

Same same. Recommended front is Quaife. Rear would be Quaife or Nismo. The LSD in your GTS4 is a viscous diff, which is not the bets choice to pair with anything except a horse drawn buggy. Keep your 4.3 gears or sell them to a GTR drag racer*.

I went from R32 4.3 gears to 4.11s and I think I'd still be happier with 3.89 or something. Longer legs in gears is not a bad thing.

Same same. Recommended front is Quaife. Rear would be Quaife or Nismo. The LSD in your GTS4 is a viscous diff, which is not the bets choice to pair with anything except a horse drawn buggy. Keep your 4.3 gears or sell them to a GTR drag racer*.

I went from R32 4.3 gears to 4.11s and I think I'd still be happier with 3.89 or something. Longer legs in gears is not a bad thing.

Cheers, Ive only even dirven with the R33 GTS4 gear, back when it was NA and now with the Rb26 and much more power. Untill i try others im happy with what it is as i have nothing to compare

Then again i intend to do lots of long drives and dont really need the short gears as a drag car would.

Also for anyone inusretesed ive priced up the Quaife front and rear from the 3 main supplies, Palmside AUD $1,777 for the front. No rear in stock

They refered me onto SVS in UK, they will ship them door to door front and rear for $3,575 AUD - Not sure if tax on top at customs

Just jap have front and rear in stock for $3,590

Looks like jsut jap is the go for Sydney people who can pick up

That will be plus customs bum ramage. I got my front from SVS and it got stopped. I asked to "make it under the magic number" but they wouldn't do it. With the dollar the way it is, just go to Just Jap.