SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

On 07/12/2023 at 4:33 PM, Duncan said:

Well done, first start is always nervous but great feeling when you've done it yourself. 

Now remember not to panic when the oily hand marks all over the turbo and exhaust manifold start smoking after a couple of minutes of running 

Thanks mate. My neighbours thought there was a bushfire with the amount of smoke coming out the exhaust. As well as all the lube in the cylinders the exhaust would of been full of a cocktail of oil and coolant.

On 07/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

3rd gear skids.mov not loading

Still finding little surprises hidden below, don't want to go there again, yet. Lol

IMG_20231207_142013646.thumb.jpg.d84e0e8fd29add43b2cad96956d4d059.jpg

• Confused 1

On 07/12/2023 at 4:33 PM, Duncan said:

Well done, first start is always nervous but great feeling when you've done it yourself.

Oh what a feeling, "Nissan".

Is this what Toyota owners feel like driving around their 90's Toyota's with hideous interiors. Suppose they can't get everything right.

• Like 1

Hard work pays off, now you can rest in peace.

Wuhan Murican Spicy cough isn't fun (I still think the US masterminded this and cocked it up, Asians love money, why would China shoot themselves in the foot and disrupt trading with the world? Just makes no sense). 

Hope you get rich!

• Haha 2

So I dragged my sorry arse out of bed around 11:30am as I was just getting sorer lying there. Best way to get over bat flu must be to fix skyline, so that's what I did. 

Eased my way into it,

re tensioned all the accessory belts first 

moved onto removing wheels

fitting street brake pads 

Fitting street tyres/wheels 

removing race seat

removing roll cage

refitting stock seats

filled coolant, took around 9.8 litres of repcos finest 500k mix (does that mean I'll never have to change it again) lol

saw a possible way to fit rear knock plug without removing starter motor. From a certain angle I could actually see the sensor and if I layed down underneath a certain way I could get my right hand in and touch it. I got the plug up there but couldn't get it on. Lucky I had a spare knock sensor, had a good look at it and it has a locating groove.

IMG_20231208_180425826.thumb.jpg.c6a1cc72e1b2d518d0b404474d702dd9.jpg

IMG_20231208_180420315.thumb.jpg.6cf298f49cda1a7629f3a59b21059464.jpg

Took me a while how to work out how I got my hand in there in the first place. Hand went in between the steering shaft and over starter motor, rotated the plug and found the locator, heard the click, boom baby. Done.

At this point I thought I was ready for HMAS skytanics maiden voyage. Started her up, no belt squeal, no lifter tap anymore and off I went.

IMG_20231208_180501163.thumb.jpg.db33f23b0fa2044b618bcbf43de08a07.jpg

IMG_20231208_180721213.thumb.jpg.cc13c867803e08bd89d9a307976cf692.jpg

IMG_20231208_180648392.thumb.jpg.5ac32447052033d6bcee102de9ac6f8b.jpg

Was trying to keep varying the rpm and trying to keep some load on the engine as much as possible, especially at the start. I was keeping the rpm between 1 and 2k while sitting at the lights. Everyone thought I wanted to race or something. 1 guy in a Honda Civic had a go, lol. 

As the KMs climbed I started giving it more boost and rpm. I briefly gave it 1.3 bar at mid rpm and then heard a pooshed sound. Damn, no boost anymore. Instantly thought I must have blown a cooler pipe off. Lucky it's not an afm ecu, I would have been pushing. Slowly made my way home.

Got home, popped the bonnet, had a quick look at all the obvious spots, couldn't see a loose pipe anywhere, started having bad thoughts and then there it was,

IMG_20231208_190619984.thumb.jpg.46a6852bcb535b9c7fb7a041f7ae385a.jpg

Easy spot to work on, a couple minutes later I was heading off again. I covered a total of 60kms, I started to give it more rpm and boost. Got to around 5.8k rpm and was trying to keep boost between .5 to 1 bar with a couple short bursts of 1.3 bar.

All in all, it feels and sounds good. Goes pretty much exactly the same as before, so far as I can tell. Obviously haven't treated it like a red headed step child yet so hard to say. There was a slight knock coming from the rear or middle of the car when power was on/off. I'll have to check out the gearbox mount bolts and any other bolts back there, exhaust mounts etc.

After I got home, checked for any leaks, couldn't see any and cleaned and tidied up some odds and ends in the engine bay. 

IMG_20231208_192426373_HDR.thumb.jpg.520587d6275a749dc699435059544aec.jpg

Skyline is back baby.

Should I dump this break in oil crap yet or leave it a bit longer?

When can I do skids?

• Like 3

Nice bro!

Probably go for a couple more varying load drives and dump the cnut and put in the good stuff.

Since you've been wasting a decent amount of money, I suggest getting a AT catch can/washer bottle replacement. Get a 3rd fitting so you can feed it back to your intake so it doesn't smell like shit 

https://atperformance.com.au/product/nissan-skyline-r33-gtst-catch-can-washer-bottle-combo/

• Like 1

That ATP performance can is nice but I'm done pouring $ into this thing unless I absolutely have to. There is a small eBay spec catch can up where the factory ABS would sit and is plumbed back into the intake.  Previous engine didn't breath hard at all, It hardly got anything in the can after a track day. Hopefully this motor is similar. Fingers 🤞

• Like 1

I don't think I mentioned it already but I took the liberty of getting a new clutch disc for my NPC organic clutch. Last time I rang NPC a few years back they wanted like 380 just for a disc. Yeah nah. After doing a bit of research I worked out it's basically just an exedy nsd104u disc. So I took a punt and ordered it. Less than half that price.

Unfortunately what I received wasn't an Exedy, it was an Aisin equivalent. I pondered for a while and thought, it is Japanese made and it's the pressure plate that creates the clamping pressure, it should be right. So far so good. Time will tell in the long run.

The original disc was down to around 6.3mm and the new Aisin is 8.8mm

IMG_20231204_223631186.thumb.jpg.d7d840c291029a19ada7e04b6be09490.jpg

IMG_20231204_223625717.thumb.jpg.6c4d731c97c0cfc3fc1bd06ffdbee0cf.jpg

IMG_20231204_223619386.thumb.jpg.4141d1e4d5a7d45be15a6d3ed015b94d.jpg

There is some differences in the centre hub heights but once put into the pressure plate all the measurements are correct and it seems to work fine in the car. Also the springs are much smaller but 2 extra. Would have preferred the Exedy for sure. Was annoyed, I didn't get exactly what I ordered. Didn't want to complain or send it back either as that particular business has looked after me in the past. Decided to just keep the peace.

• Like 1

Still annoyed about it. Looking at it again. The Exedy has a lot more rivets too.  Should've sent it back. On a positive note, Aisin is part of the Toyota group, hopefully it gives me the right Toyota feeling.

I will make many prayers to the car gods.

• Like 1

Thanks @Komdotkom I'm up to 125km now. Wow 500, I was thinking 200. Suppose I'll leave it a bit longer then.

Was waiting for the rain to stop all day today.  Cleaned the shed up, packed away all my tools and happy to say no 10mm's where lost, there was a 17 that went missing but that turned up this arvo.

The rain stopping just wasn't happening so I just went out in the rain. Did another 65km. I think the knocking sound I can hear is just the rear door card/trim thingies flapping about. I'll refit the rear seats tomorrow and test drive again. It skids easy in the first 4 gears without trying much in the wet, lol.

Happy to report, everything seems good and everything works as it should, nice cold a/C and heat. Just on the heater, it's been a while but it felt like I'd have to put it to 26 or above to get good heat, I think before 23-24 would produce good heat.

Is it possible to put the heater hoses in the engine bay the wrong way round?

I do remember asking myself if I was putting them on correctly when refitting them.

Skids getting closer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, admS15 said:

possible to put the heater hoses in the engine bay the wrong way round?

It is, however it would also sit funny, so very unlikely it's on wrong.

There are a few plastic retainers on the R33 RB25, which keeps them in the right orientation.

On the R34 RB25 you're blessed with 2x hard lines behind the head.

9 hours ago, admS15 said:

Looks like Exedy is an Aisin distributor now

Screenshot_20231209-124429.thumb.png.1b3e95591e9e1d7e1664d80697be8ab3.png

Still, if I order an Exedy, I want a damn Exedy. Cnuts

Yeah, but, it's like go and buy a Nissan filter. Nissan didn't make it, it's likely a Ryco etc.

You bought exedy, but "they didn't make" that specific part.

Chances are, lots of actual exedy kits are, and have been, running aisin plates for ages.

15 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Um, yeah 1 of those plastic retainers did fall off when I was trying to get the hoses on and it does look a little weird. I'll have to give it a better look.

The question is, when you bled the coolant, did you do so with the heater tap fully opened and heater on?

If you haven't, you may have an air bubble in the heater core, double check your coolant level and overflow bottle.