SAU Community

Bills 33 Gtst Streeter/track Car

On 07/12/2023 at 6:34 AM, No Crust Racing said:

I am embarrassed by how long mine took given what you've gotten done 0_0

Hold your horses, it hasn't run yet. Fingers crossed,Lol

Was thinking about this the other day, could of just paid someone 10-15k and not had to touch anything. My body and hands are sore AF. I understand why people just pay, it's not an easy task to do at home and a hell of a lot of work.

Wife says I should have cut my losses and got rid of it. Told her to wash her mouth out with soap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For me a few things compounded the issue. 
- Wanting to learn a few aspects, such as hand lapping valve seats (10hrs-20hrs)
- Wanting to balance the rotating assembly down to 1g on cast parts, (15hrs easy)
- Not knowing this wack FWD platform, 10hrs to remove to remove the subframe/engine etc
- Having never used mic or bore guages etc, thinking I was doing it wrong, finding out 2 rods were oval and I was correct (10hrs easy). 

And the list goes on, each shed session was 60-90mins so it takes a lot of them :(

On the contrary, when I sold the CA/Box/ECU it was 3hrs to remove, split, put on a pallet solo having never done it before. 

This is the reason that the XR5 will get sold and I will go back to a JDM daily. Euro stuff is painful to work on. 

Edited by No Crust Racing

Agree about euros. 

Pulling apart is so much quicker than putting back together. Made worse when it's been a while and you can't remember everything. Any modified part seems to always be a pain to reinstall too and complicates things. There's not too many mods on my car but those that are caused difficulties. Simple things like the radiator that should just drop in, needed some finesse and additional time to manoeuvre in, same with oil cooler plumbing, head drain etc. Simple things seemed to want to fight me the whole way.

Stupid standard intake plenum didn't help either. After nearly finishing everything, I saw the 2 knock sensor plugs and cold start valve plug hanging there. Was able to contort my hand enough and looking at an internet pic of valve, was able to just get the plug on and seated. Front knock sensor was similar, the rear however I can't even see. Going to have to remove starter motor to create access. FML. I've consumed that many cans of V in the last few work sessions that I should get a sponsorship.

edit, I did the same with the mic and bore gauges. Spent many hours, it's one of those things that you get better at and more confident the more you use them. There was also so many hours spent searching, just to try and source valves and valve guides. I think I spent more time on trying to source valve guides than actually measuring and assembling the motor.

I guess you can guess the reaction when I said maybe I should cut my losses with her. 

I didn't but sometimes you know, I might think that...

On a more positive note. At least R33's are worth something now, so it's not a total loss.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, admS15 said:

I guess you can guess the reaction when I said maybe I should cut my losses with her. 

I didn't but sometimes you know, I might think that...

On a more positive note. At least R33's are worth something now, so it's not a total loss.

Bro, you don't say the quiet parts out loud.... 

• Haha 1

I'm Gunna say, after just shy of 11 years with my missus, I'm not going to complain about her.

When it comes to cars, or even just wanting fun shit / tools in general, she's super supportive.

Her questions are like mine to her "Do you really want it and will use it? Do we have money for it, or do we need to plan for this purchase?"

Maybe this is what happens when neither of us have kids...

• Like 1

Oil is in and we've got bush. Oil pressure off the key. All sensors reporting correct values.

IMG_20231207_123918958_HDR.thumb.jpg.451b684b94261c264a80019283239d30.jpg

Want to try start it but feeling pretty beat up right now. No wonder I was struggling late yesterday. See if I can muster some energy 

• Like 1

Yes. It sucks to get the 'rona these days. I got it in March. Literally the day before I started feeling crook I was talking to a workmate about getting boosted. So...blammo to that idea. And I was well due for boosting so it took a week to fight it off. If boosted, perhaps wouldn't have even noticed (like the probable previous time I had it in early 2022, when I had a sore throat for a day and tested -ve).

And then, I'm telling my kids a couple of weeks ago, if you're not boosted, probably time to think about it. And nekminit, kid#2 goes down with a +ve RAT. Feels like shit, and making the rest of the fam fear for their immediate futures.

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Yes. It sucks to get the 'rona these days. I got it in March. Literally the day before I started feeling crook I was talking to a workmate about getting boosted. So...blammo to that idea. And I was well due for boosting so it took a week to fight it off. If boosted, perhaps wouldn't have even noticed (like the probable previous time I had it in early 2022, when I had a sore throat for a day and tested -ve).

And then, I'm telling my kids a couple of weeks ago, if you're not boosted, probably time to think about it. And nekminit, kid#2 goes down with a +ve RAT. Feels like shit, and making the rest of the fam fear for their immediate futures.

I was all vaxxed per the way the manufacturers said was best way to do it was.

I went down for 2 weeks hard core.

None of those flu symptoms though, all neural, no breath if I tried physical exertion, fatigue, couldn't think at all (mid sentence my brain would freak as it didn't know what words were any more).

Then had long COVID for over 6 months.

And my missus, who never stopped being near me, still has never even tested positive to the shit!

Are you guys going down with flu symptoms or the non fun neural issues?

Lastly, I'd leave the car alone, don't try and start it while feeling shit. Being run down, you're likely to f**k something up and ruin all your hard work.

I feel like actual garbage. Body is aching bad, headaches and can feel the fever. Funny though I felt good in the morning and went to work for 5 hours. All of a sudden my condition took a big turn.

Too late @Dose Pipe Sutututu, it's alive. oil went in, lucky I bought the $2 special bin boat oil. Just enough. No coolant yet, fired it up, started first go. Was keeping it between 1 and 2k rpm sounded healthy and like it's ready for skids. Really good oil pressure, similar to before, just under 3/4 on the stock toy gauge which surprisingly still works.

Alternator belt was screaming so didn't keep it running too long, lifters are tapping slightly, hopefully they bleed up and stop after a couple of minutes run time. They where stored in an oil bath but at one point after being installed in the head, engine was turned upside down for around half an hour.

I'm buggered, happy just to know it will run. Couldn't even climb in with the race seat installed in my current condition. It will stay as is until I'm over this crap.

No video unfortunately, no energy to even try. No amount of V or red bull is going to help today.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MBS206 said:

Are you guys going down with flu symptoms or the non fun neural issues?

The first time that I probably had it, I had a headache one night, a sore throat the next night. That was all.

The only time I know I absolutely had it, and....sorta 9 months post previous booster, I had a headache and sore throat for the full week. Some lethargy and possibly some cognitive impairment, but I was working flat out the whole week (while isolated in an apartment because not allowed back on site) because there was a metric shit ton of work that had to be done. And for a fair while afterwards I was definitely not as aerobically fit as before. And that possibly is still the case now.

So, in other words, I don't get knocked around too badly and I still had/have some lingering effects. I would absolutely hate to be like you and get smacked around by it for weeks and months. And that's without all the recent research suggesting that there could be Parkinson's disease (and other autoimmune related problems) in store for more people than was previously the case, simply because they've had the vid. I think it is definitely something to stay away from (by vax and by precautions) and minimise the body's reaction to (by vax). This is probably also true of a lot of other respiratory viruses. The ones that we're used to (all the normal cold and flu' ones) are part of the background and are probably not too risky for most people. But anything new or less common stands a chance of kicking the immune system in the nuts. This new Parkinson's disease etc thing is scary enough, but apparently some of the other effects look like HIV, which is nobody's idea of a good night out.

1 hour ago, admS15 said:

I feel like actual garbage. Body is aching bad, headaches and can feel the fever. Funny though I felt good in the morning and went to work for 5 hours. All of a sudden my condition took a big turn.

Too late @Dose Pipe Sutututu, it's alive. oil went in, lucky I bought the $2 special bin boat oil. Just enough. No coolant yet, fired it up, started first go. Was keeping it between 1 and 2k rpm sounded healthy and like it's ready for skids. Really good oil pressure, similar to before, just under 3/4 on the stock toy gauge which surprisingly still works.

Alternator belt was screaming so didn't keep it running too long, lifters are tapping slightly, hopefully they bleed up and stop after a couple of minutes run time. They where stored in an oil bath but at one point after being installed in the head, engine was turned upside down for around half an hour.

I'm buggered, happy just to know it will run. Couldn't even climb in with the race seat installed in my current condition. It will stay as is until I'm over this crap.

No video unfortunately, no energy to even try. No amount of V or red bull is going to help today.

Well done, first start is always nervous but great feeling when you've done it yourself. 

Now remember not to panic when the oily hand marks all over the turbo and exhaust manifold start smoking after a couple of minutes of running 

• Like 1