SAU Community

2016 Round 1 - Jan 30th Sandown Track Day Multiclub

ssxRicho

Whereas my Silva went years of serious track abuse with stock rad and no oil cooler - did eventually do a head gasket though :-)

When i did put in an oil cooler, i wanted it in line rather than in front of a tyre, so water temps actually went up.

Personally ĺ'm all for newbies to not worry, get the fire extinguisher and get out there. You tend to drive like a fairy to start with so nothing too strenuous on the car. Just careful as it goes type of thing.

• Like 2

Whereas my Silva went years of serious track abuse with stock rad and no oil cooler - did eventually do a head gasket though :-)

When i did put in an oil cooler, i wanted it in line rather than in front of a tyre, so water temps actually went up.

Personally ĺ'm all for newbies to not worry, get the fire extinguisher and get out there. You tend to drive like a fairy to start with so nothing too strenuous on the car. Just careful as it goes type of thing.

JP "The fairy of the track"

Took me one track day to do the head gasket as a newbie.

However...

This was an unopened engine with 270rwkw that has been driven hard every day for the last 6-7 years including a lot of mountain runs. And on a high speed track like PI where I didn't take it easy, I can see why it went.

But I'll be back with a metal gasket and a couple of coolers :)

• Like 1

Good clarification, concur when you mod a car you need to look at associated/supporting mods - never ending spiral.

Just want people who are thinking of starting out, serviced car with extinguisher is pretty much all they need to attend a "come and try" type event.

If they enjoy it, start pushing themselves, more track oriented tyres/pads/fluids... suspension.... braking/power/cooling etc etc.

Richo, unfortunately the fully covered clothing regulation is preventing me running in my pink tutu

• Like 1

Yeah, took me a good 2-3 track days before I was driving it hard enough to begin to find the stock limits of the car (brakes and temperatures)

Took me about the same. On my 4th or 5th track day I found a new limit called a tyre barrier. Didn't end well for the car lol :O

And if it was a WRX, it would still be sitting in the garage on stands getting another new engine installed...

And if it was a self built kit clubman , its electrics would get the shits on rough track at Winton.

Hi black :-)

Actually i hear they are puting down new surface

So I don't have an oil cooler (yet) and was going to sit this one out (wuss) but then I receive this tantalising email saying that "Whether you have a hardcore track car, or a clean road car this is the perfect event for you".....

Yeah so my car falls into the cleanish road car category and I fall into the category of not having been near a track for 15 years and even then it was happy laps. Is this the perfect event for me or am I better off waiting for another?

Cheers

Rob

Oh and if you aren't aware water is the more efficient cooling substance - so if you are concerned about engine temps not oil break down temperature issues then it's the water coolant circuit you should look at.

So I don't have an oil cooler (yet) and was going to sit this one out (wuss) but then I receive this tantalising email saying that "Whether you have a hardcore track car, or a clean road car this is the perfect event for you".....

Yeah so my car falls into the cleanish road car category and I fall into the category of not having been near a track for 15 years and even then it was happy laps. Is this the perfect event for me or am I better off waiting for another?

Cheers

Rob

This is the perfect event for you.

Most other CAMS related days don't have the level of introduction and 'social' aspect, at the moment. A few of the clubs are starting to introduce more, this day is full on social all day (and a little more serious for those who are into that).

If you have a standard radiator and no oil cooler, you can still come along. You just have to take that into account. Don't run the whole session at full speed, do a couple of laps then back right off. We'll couch you on the day.

Everyone started somewhere, my start was in a very street driven car. You find out pretty quick the limit of the standard equipment.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, if any new drivers want to get out and have an introduction to club sprint days - this is your event. Likewise, if you have the opportunity for an experienced driver like John to ride along giving you tips from the passenger seat, I would definitely recommend it! It's always better to start off learning the right way, rather than try to undo the habits of doing it wrong.

• Like 2